PDA

View Full Version : Metal Lathe/Mill

Bob Moorman
02-07-2005, 10:50 PM
I am totally new to using a metal lathe and am attempting to find a small new/used unit that I can use to turn Smoking pipes and mill the stems. Advice as to what to purchase for under $1500.00 cause thats all she will let me spend.

------------------
Bob

G.A. Ewen
02-08-2005, 12:15 AM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif That would make one very expencive Pipe http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

What type of materials do you intend to use and what other types of projects are you interested in making?

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Two checking accounts really help. That gives you $1500 of "her money" and ??? of your "secret fund"!!

Jet makes a really nice 9 x 20 belt drive:

http://www.medfordtools.com/Jet%20Metal%20Working-1.html

Enco often has these on sale at $995. Spindle nose is threaded 1 1/2 x 8, same as small South Bend, so lots of accessories are readily available.

Lots of used lathes are listed on eBay, here's one in Katy, Texas:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=92086&item=3872677608&rd=1

Unless you know what to look for, be cautious when buying used, or take a knowledgeable friend with you.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Barry Milton

sauer38h
02-08-2005, 04:48 AM
You want a metal lathe for pipes? Are you making those aluminum types with cooling fins?

The 7" swing lathes in the $300-500 range (new) would seem to be adequate for any reasonable pipe. Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Northern Tool, Cummins Tool, etc sell those. Or the old 7" Atlas or Craftsman (used).

toolmakerjim
02-08-2005, 05:36 AM
bob;
where are you located?
i had an inquiry from a gentleman in New Zealand the other day about a lathe, sorry guys im not in the used machinery business, but i did some research and was surprised at the machines available for $750. or make offer.
since bob asked first,if you wish to, let me know your e-mail address i will turn you on to the site since i recall sales here is forbidden...jim

Bob Moorman
02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm watching that South Bend 9" in Katy. As I live outside of Trinity, it is a 2 to 3 jour drive. It looks as if it is what I want.
As for what else it will be used for: My son has an RV service business in Trinity, and has needed a lathe at different times. He told me last night that he will go in with me on a lathe, he has a ranch North of here in Houston county, and is alway making or repairing something out there. He bought a 1949 Cat bulldozer last fall, and completely rebuilt it. Looks and runs like a new toy.
My e-mail is: k5vmx@direcway.com.
You Gentlemen please excuse some of my questions, as I do not know anything about machining. Now when it comes to electronics, I'm at home there.
Bob

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Bob,

What give YOU the impression any of US know anything about machining???!!! <LOL>

Do you buy much on eBay? Wife says I spend way too much time/money there. (Reply that it's better than the XXX sites.) Email me at precisionworks@verizon.net if you have questions.

------------------
Barry Milton

[This message has been edited by precisionworks (edited 02-08-2005).]

Rex
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Bob
a 7x10 or 12 or 14 for $300 - $500 (new) would be perfect for the pipe making. Depending on what sort of things the RVs need you might need something bigger, but I'll bet 95% of what your sone needs would fit in the envelope of a 7X. I have a 9x17 Logan and have yet to need bigger (not that that will stop me from getting a bigger lathe!).
I will have a nice 10x36 Atlas available shortly in the Ft Worth area, if that appeals to you. Refurb/repaint of a well-cared-for unit, within your budget.

Good luck

Bob Moorman
02-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm going to use Corsican ot Italian Briar. The stem will be vulcanite or ebonite, and purchased in stock rod form.
I'm wondering what the amount of horizonal distance away from the chuck the mill head on the Grizzly G4015Z Combo Lathe/Mill,will be? Can a 4" or 6" pipe stem be milled? I'm not sure I have it in my mind correctly. The mill bit is stationary, and the carriage ?? moves the stem along the bit? The amount of travel is unknown to me. Sorry to be so obtuse, but I have to learn somewhere.
Bob

------------------
Bob