PDA

View Full Version : diy tig welder

Samuel
02-05-2005, 08:12 PM
So I was looking around the 'net the other night and I found this page, http://classicbroncos.com/homemade-welder.shtml and it got me thinking. so I thought that I would ask you guys about your thoughts and if you have any more info, I seem to remember a link to some sight where the guy did something like the link above, but after searching through the archives I found nothing that was related. thanks guys

Samuel

[This message has been edited by Samuel (edited 02-05-2005).]

Dr. Rob
02-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Yeah... Yes- You're right; I remember it too. It was blue, right? And had outdoor photographs, like on a driveway.

All I can say is that you aren't losing your mind, since I remember it too. Dunno nuttin bout buildin a welder tho.

JCHannum
02-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Look here;
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/006190.html

and here;
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8872&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

It has possibilities.

precisionworks
02-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Samuel,

Take a look at this little 8# lunchbox welder. I bought my 200 amp tig from this company, and they're great to work with (tech support, etc.) I've thought about getting one myself, to supplement my room full of welding equipment!

http://www.usaweld.com/products/arc_welders/index.htm

------------------
Barry Milton

ibewgypsie
02-06-2005, 10:51 AM
The lunchbox miller welder I had at Sequoah, worked great. Had a hot-start onboard that'd blow the glass off'n a 7018 then settle back to a nice steady arc. it was a 120-220 autoswitch, just plug it in. Would melt a 1/8" rod pretty easily maxed out.

It got stolen on the job while I was inside containment getting "dosed up". Probably just to tick me off. I had signed it out. Crooks everywhere even on nuclear jobs where you pass security guards with m-16s.

David

Samuel
02-06-2005, 03:23 PM
hey thanks guys, I appreciate your responses , I am just trying to find a way to make it possible, buying a welder is kind of out of the question, I am young and have kids so you know how that goes. my last big project took 5 years to collect all the parts and cobble together, although it had quite a few more parts, it was a home sized rolling mill, for rolling hot steel, I will look around and keep you up to date on the project. oh ya I found this article on a diy high frequency unit for tig http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/welder/arcstarter/hf.html

thanks again,

Samuel

[This message has been edited by Samuel (edited 02-06-2005).]

aboard_epsilon
02-06-2005, 03:56 PM
well all you Tigheads.
Can you tell me how to stop my tig setting my burgler alarm off.....and it crashes it as well ...meaning that I have to undo the battery and the mains to reset the alarm
I was told it was the HF.......and I had to rig caps from the live-in to earth .....but was a bit reluctent to do this ........is it safe ...and what size caps do I need.
my machine is an old transformer type with AC and DC plus HF......and is about 250 amp.
to make things more complicated its a three phase machine running off uk single phase 240 volts....the tappings inside have been set to 240 volts by myself.....it works ok but has only half the power
all the best....mark

crossthreaded
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
There are a whole new generation of Tig machines out in the last couple years, so the older ones are up for better prices, used. I got my Lincoln 175 Tig for a decent price, as it was being replaced by a newer model. Of course then I spent the difference & more to get the pulser & a hand control. The really "old dinosaurs" are the ons to get, & they go for under $800 sometimes but as the last post stated, they use half the power of Bolder Dam & they weigh several hundred pounds. They usually have several ranges tho, so you can do thin sheet one day, & heavy stick or aluminum the next. When I win the lottery, I want the Miller Aerowave. I look at the blurb on their website like the Isrealites after 20 years in the desert. One of the welding books I got recently stated it would weld an aluminum head or block, without a preheat. Meanwhile, I need to master even half of the capabilty of the one I have.
Mike

Samuel
02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
thanks guys, again but I am only wealthy in patience, well sort of... I generally have to find a "diamond in the rough" as far as tools go like my 12" clausing lathe for 200$ the hitch was it was a drive and had been sitting in an open air barn without use for the last 35 or so years. as far as the alarm probem does a phone line go anywhere near the hf? I know that many alarms have a phone connection to monitor if the line gets cut, does yours?

I thought that I would check and see if anyone had done the search for a good price on tig torches?

thanks, anyone want to see the rolling mill?

Samuel

Stanko
02-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I want to see the rolling mill !

Does your tig need to be AC or will dc do, if you are financialy challenged , or have your toolbuying a bit restricted by more important things you could get an old "dalek" style welder from Lincoln, mine is a 150A and cost about $100. Its only downside is its a bit noisy heavy ugly(got over that)and it cant do aluminum. No one would ever steal it !

Duct Taper
02-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Samuel, thanks for the diy links. I have been looking for the same thing. I found a TIG torch with cable and hose on eBay for $22. Right place, right time, but do a search for "TIG torch" and you may be surprised at what is there.

Duct Taper
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Samuel, thanks for the diy links. I have been looking for the same thing. I found a TIG torch with cable and hose on eBay for $22. Right place, right time, but do a search for "TIG torch" and you may be surprised at what is there.