PDA

View Full Version : Starret 98 or 199

cuemaker
02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I need to purchase a level as I am about to place my lathe in its permanent location.

My lathe is for home use.

Ebay has LOTS of listing. Pricing seems reasonable. I realize that these levels can be adjusted, but is there things to watch out for on used levels??

Thank you

Rob

[This message has been edited by cuemaker (edited 02-08-2005).]

garyphansen
02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
A Starrett No. 98 12" is all you need.

Gary P. Hansen

meho
02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I haven't looked on ebay but I bought my 98Z 12" at a pawn shop for $68.00. The little lady at the counter asked what it was (my answer: a level) she then asked if it could be used for wallpaper! My reply was, very accurately. I already borrowed a level for my lathe setup but I couldn't pass up that deal.

There are a couple of nicer pawn shops around here the has stuff like this from time to time.

James

Guero
02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I would say that if the Starretts seem to be in decent shape you won't have any problems. Keep in mind, however, that a level lathe and a straight (or aligned) lathe are discriptions of two different processes. The second discription, that of a straight or aligned lathe can be done without a level. But it is good to start out with your lathe as level as you can get it before going through the straightening or alignment process.

Thrud
02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Rob
If you have a choice get the 199 - it is made for leveling machines. Often you can get them on eBay for under $100. As long as the vial is not damaged and the base mangled - there is less to go wrong with them.

Because of the extreme sensitivity of the 199 - you may want to get the 98 if you wish to keep your life simpler.