PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a copy of Machinery's...

hoffman
02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
16th edition, 1959...

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

wierdscience
02-07-2005, 11:41 PM
I got a 15th the otherday,lot better than the new ones for our uses.

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Mine's published 1944....Can't find the chapters on CNC, must've been torn out.

As WierdSci says, old is better than new in this case.

torker
02-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I just got a 19th...maybe not old enough but I like it. One thing I want to know...has anyone ever read one from cover to cover (yawn)? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Doc Nickel
02-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Last summer I recieved my grandfather's 12th Edition that my ma found in his stuff when cleaning out the house they'd lived in since 1948.

I was wrapped in a sort of wax paper to keep the binding from getting worn or stained, and had dozens of notes, scraps and whatnot tucked in the pages. A photo of him that had been taken in 1964 at a trade show. A door prize ticket from some lodge event. A memo from one of the places he worked referring to engineering a tank's cupola. Little "at a glance" type conversion tables, like lengths and weights. A reciept from when he bought a drafting tool set in 1947 for $35, which was a veritable fortune for a man fresh out of WW2 with a new family...

I hate to use it. I need to get a beater from Ebay so I don't have to worry about it when actually using it out in the shop...

Doc.

[This message has been edited by Doc Nickel (edited 02-08-2005).]

toolmakerjim
02-08-2005, 05:22 AM
torker;
i started reading my dads copy in the 8th grade, but i never made it past the 11th grade as girls and motorcycles became more intresting. i did pick it up a couple times before i graduated but found little need for it in college...jim

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Doc, that's awesome! I wouldn't use it either.

I bought my 11th Edition on eBay for about $12, plus shipping. Almost new condition (for a 60 year old book). See them often.

------------------
Barry Milton

Rex
02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Torker wrote: "I just got a 19th...maybe not old enough but I like it. One thing I want to know...has anyone ever read one from cover to cover (yawn)? "

Not much of a plot, no character development

andypullen
02-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I wasn't going to but the 26th edition until I took a good look at it a couple of weeks ago. There's alot of good new info in there. Sure, there's the cnc info, but there's alot of other stuff, too. Unfortunately, I can't recall what impressed me, but, I'm going to get a copy to complement my 21st edition.

Andy Pullen

wierdscience
02-08-2005, 08:13 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
I just got a 19th...maybe not old enough but I like it. One thing I want to know...has anyone ever read one from cover to cover (yawn)? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

I never read it,but I did leaf trough it page by page just to get a mental note of what it contains.Just the other day I needed a flywheel formula,took only seconds to find what I needed.