PDA

View Full Version : Welded shaper toolholder.

hoffman
02-06-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't have a regular shaper toolholder so I made this from some other stuff I scrounged:
http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1105920474535_shaptool.jpg

It's welded at the neck and it seemed to weld pretty good. I guess the toolholder I made it from is forged steel? It started out as one of those weird curved neck planer tools.
Any ideas about welding this type of stuff? Think it'll hold?

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

precisionworks
02-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Hoffman,

Let me know how this holds up. Want to get a spare for my Atlas 7-B, but they are pricey --- one on eBay sold for $117.50, just last week.

The best shaper toolholders are forged.

------------------
Barry Milton

Dave Opincarne
02-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Nice Job, and let me compliment you on your taste in children's litrature too. I love reading Rosmary Wells to my little girl.

Thrud
02-07-2005, 04:47 AM
nicely done - it should hold if there are no stress risers or microcracks from welding. Hydrogen embrittlement can also cause a failure in a high stress part like a shaper toolholder. if it fails reweld with a TIG and shot peen it after welding.

hoffman
02-07-2005, 08:05 AM
I did it with a MIG. I think I'll go back and build up some more weld along the side to give it more of a teardrop profile and grind it smooth before I try it out. Still need to cut the slots in the holder for indexing the cutter at 90 deg and 45. My vise doesn't swivel so I'll have to get creative on it. Still thinking...
The prices of holders for little machines is out of control.

Thrud
02-08-2005, 09:12 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">.
The prices of holders for little machines is out of control.</font>

Yes - the Armstrong stuff is absurd in the extreme price wise - but they have a captive market and they know it...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-08-2005).]

hoffman
02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Right now I'm using it with the tool directly in post which works pretty good but I just want a regular toolholder. Been too busy to work on it anymore... I also need to make a gripper plate to go behind the tool holder. I'll consider it "complete" then.
Oh yea, I forgot the reason I started on this holder. I need to make a slotting bar to fit it so I can cut a keyway in the motor pulley. Gotta build stuff to build stuff...
[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 02-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 02-08-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
02-08-2005, 11:26 PM
THis looks similar to the toolholder currently in my boxford shaper.Alistair p.s nice welding should hold ok.