PDA

View Full Version : remove spindle of craftsman drill press

spinrow
01-31-2005, 10:14 PM
I have an old craftsman drill press with a bent spindle. There's no model number(it's approximately 36" tall and the spindle to column distance is 7.5" with a morse taper for the drill chuck). Can anyone tell me how to remove the spindle hopefully without removing the quill. Thanks Paul

Thrud
02-01-2005, 12:20 AM
take it back to sears and demand that they replace it (worth a try) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

To remove a bent spindle you are going to have to remove the quill anyway - while you are at it, you might just as well replace the bearings with a fresh set - no point in doing a half-assed job of it.

spinrow
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks Thrud for replying==without a model number I can't get help from sears. I was hoping someone might have an old parts list with an exploded view of the spindle. I think it was made in the forties. Paul

DR
02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Hmmmm....that would be a 15" drill press. Probably made by Atlas. You say it has a Morse taper for the drill chuck? That doesn't sound right. By chance do you mean a Jacobs taper?

How do you know the spindle is bent? What do you plan on doing once the spindle is out? A replacement spindle will not be available and straightening one is not a job for an amateur.

The ones I've played with can be disassembled by removing the quill cartidge. Loosen the quill return spring, pull the quill pinion gear (the shaft that the handles are mounted on) and the quill cartidge drops out. Once the quill cartridge is on the work bench you should see spanner nuts of some sort that retain the bearings and hold the spindle in place.

quasi
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I agree with DR, and will add this. There should be a set screw that goes thru the main casting into a groove in the quill to keep it from twisting and or a stroke stop. This should be backed out before trying to remove the quill assembly.

Ted Coffey
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Paul,
You have to remove the quill because the spindle shaft is pressed into the bearings.
There is a safety collar at the top of the quill. Removing the quill is easy.
First release the counter balance spring then
remove the spider handle and pinon gear and the quill will drop out. Once the quill is out remove the collar(set screw) and press the spindle out of the quill.
Ted

spinrow
02-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. The supreme chuck is 1/2" with a 33 degree taper. Above the taper on the spindle was a knurled collar with a pin that went thru the spindle shaft. I started to tap the top of the spindle and it moved down, but I thought I should get some direction before proceeding. I was going to take the spindle to have it straightened. Drill bit wobbling was reason for removing Checked bits and chuck before disassembly attempt. Paul

precisionworks
02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Paul,

I think my old Sears is like yours. It may be possible that the problem is in the chuck, specifically the way the chuck seats to the spindle nose.

Measure total indicated runout with something really round in the chuck (like a 1/2" solid carbide end mill). Remove the chuck by turning the locking collar, and mearure TIR on the inside of the spindle nose, where the chuck taper seats.

Hope it's just the chuck, but if not you may be able to straighten the spindle with an arbor press (NOT A HYDRAULIC PRESS)by supporting the spindle ends on blocking and tweaking the shaft back to straight.

------------------
Barry Milton

codyb
02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
My mentor, an OLD tool and die maker, gave me
a piece of 1/2" drill rod. He said to chuck it in press, indicate and mark "high" spot and whack gently, with 5 lb hammer. It worked.

spinrow
02-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi thanks for the responses. I tried a different chuck but still had the same r.o. problem. Anyway I took off the quill and finally got out the spindle. Now to get the r.o. corrected. Anyone who wants to know how to get this drill press apart---give me a call. Paul