PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Motor/Electrical Problem

BWB
02-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Friend of mine recently acquired a nice older Bridgeport. He's new to all this and asked me to help him get started. He had already got the machine set up and wired to single phase with a small box type converter ( 3 phase not available). We cranked it up yesterday and it wasn't long before I noticed a small wreath of smoke rising from the top of the motor housing. Shutdown and disconnected the power and popped off the housing to find the motor way too hot. Even with some accumulated dirt and oil, the fan was there and nothing clogging airflow.
He took the motor and controls (not including the converter) to a good shop this morning. They hooked it up and say the motor is undamaged and the control switch is properly wired for 220. So here's one question. Assuming that he has it on 220 from the wall (I assume he got that right), do we suspect the converter? If so how can we troubleshoot that? Any other possibilities?
Next question is, is there a source for single-phase motors for these machines? And is that a better idea long term than fooling with phase converters? Long on questions and short on specifics I know, but I can get machine and coverter numbers if you need them to comment. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joel
02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Check the voltage coming out of the converter when the motor is running, the start capacitors might not be dropping out of the circuit.