PDA

View Full Version : REAMING 316 STAINLESS STEEL

INTERPOLATE
02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
How do reamers work for 316 Stainless steel. Want to get a accurate and smooth hole on a lathe. 20 mm hole. Do reamers work well? HSS or CARBIDE?
Thanks,
JD

andypullen
02-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I've had good luck with HSS. I worked for a company that did alot of 316 stainless, monel (both 400 and K-500), titanium and inconel. We reamed all our holes there for size because of the tolerance on size.

Either should work. Just don't dwell in the hole.

Andy Pullen

INTERPOLATE
02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info... I should have also asked for any guidelines on speeds and feeds.
Any suggestions? Is cutting the shank on the er to the shortest usable length a bad idea?

ERBenoit
02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
You might be able to get a 20 mm. screw machine reamer. They are already shorter than the standard chucking reamer. Cutting the shank is not necessarily a "bad" idea, though may limit the reamers future use. Ie. the "next job" where your cutting of the shank has made it too short for use. As with any cutting tool, the shorter it is the more rigid it will be. I personally never cut them. As far as speeds and feeds, the rule I was taught for reaming "Half the speed, twice the feed" of drilling. Use plenty of lubricant. As Andy said, don't dwell in the hole, to which I will add, clear chips frequently.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 02-10-2005).]

INTERPOLATE
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.
Do I go with just a few thousandths under?

ERBenoit
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
More of the rules I was taught. Up to 1/2", drill 1/64" under, over 1/2" drill 1/32" under. A few thousandths under may not leave enough material for a good reamed finish.

Thrud
02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes you can buy very short carbide cartridge type reamers - these mount on a shank and are about 2x as long as they are diameter. Travers and KBC has them in there catalogs - I hope you is sitting down (ouch!) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif