PDA

View Full Version : expanding shop capabilities

jero100
02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I run prototype shop for a medical manufacturer that is having growing pains. We are looking for property to build a new plant that will have plenty of square footage but for now we have to share floor space.
We are looking for ways to increase the capability of the prototype shop and have came up with 4 options.
1. Add a 3rd shift (We have 2 shifts @ 10 hours each.
2. Add a 3rd shift and extra machines (manufacturing has to pony up some space)
3.Relocate to a temporary facility for about 2 years (till new plant is complete)
4. Purchase a nearby job shop
I realize that each option has it's own advantages and disadvantages but I would like to get input from someone who has been in a similar situation and what obstacles they've run across.
Our projects are short runs with quick turnaround and we want to continue with the success we are having, but with new product launches and an increase in custom instrumentation we need to increase capabilities.
Any input would be appreciated as well as feedback on our options to see if I've missed anything other than the obvious.

toolmakerjim
02-10-2005, 04:16 PM
adopt the federal~mogul a~d shift.
a and c work the same days
b and d work the same days.
shift starts at 6:00 am 12 hours long
2nd shift starts at 6:00 pm 12 hours long
1 st week a and c work monday and tuesday off wed and thursday work fri~sunday
b and d work wed and thur off fri~sun

next week b and d work mon and tues off wed and thur work fri~sun
a and c works wed ~thur

the beauty of this shift is no overtime and you work 7/24

you will need to put everyone on salary and pay bi-weekly

everyone has time off during the week to get stuff done...jim

Thrud
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
The lowest cost option is adding shifts. If you worked 12 hour shifts you can have 4 teams running during a 7 day week - biweekly each member only puts in 84 hours, so overtime is not payable in most loacales.

The shifts go - 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, three days off. then your swith shifts with your team - this way no one is stuck working nights all the time after payday you change shifts - very fair and equatable. On the days you are off, the other two teams are working - when your teams are working the other shift is off.

This way each team member gets a three day weekend every second week. This is the most economical way to extend production as it does not require more space or equipment and will double your current production output by doubling your workers.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-10-2005).]