PDA

View Full Version : Hardinge hct?

mmount
02-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Hello all,

I just wanted to pop in and say hey, and ask my first question.

Can anyone give me some pro's and con's on the Hardinge HCT. I need a lathe for small threaded pieces mainly, but I'd rather not get a chinese hobby machine if I can get a used real lathe. I have a line on an HCT, asking price $300. Is there anything problematic specific to these machines I should look for? Thanks for any input.

kenc
02-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Isn't the HCT a chucker? If so, it won't thread I believe. Hopefully someone who knows something about Hardinges will reply!

Ken

mmount
02-11-2005, 03:25 PM
These are the specs the seller gives.

Specifications and Features:

Lever Action Collet Closer
1-1/8" thru hole in spindle
Parts Tray 27"x69"
Cariage Feed ( Power Feed)- works very well, can adjust for cutting standard / metric threads
Will move left or right
Dovetail Bed- 6.5"x31.5" hardened way
1 hp motor
Forward/ Reverse, High/Low selection

8 postion manual turret
Speeds: (RPM's)
Low:130, 470,660,1000
High:400, 1400, 2000, 3000
Cariage Stop
Gusher Coolant Pump and coolant system, pump does not work
Lubrication for carriage
Footprint 27"wide x 67" long
Power requirements: 440volts 3 phase 60 hertz
Tools: 5" 3-jaw chuck, collet rack

One thing I notice is it doesn't have a tail stock. It seems I could add one, but for most of things I have in mind I won't need it.

aboard_epsilon
02-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I belive on this lathe ......to thread it has to have a pile of paterns that are mounted onto it it somewhere.
it then has some sort of copying attachment that copies these paterns onto the bar in the chuck.
ive been offered one of these chuckers myself with said paterns and copying duplicating attachment.....
the seller (friend) recons doing threads this way is easy and produces very good results.
The one ive been offered comes with every thread patern imaginable.
all the best...mark

ARFF79
02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes the this Hardinge is a chucker, think presion turret lathe. As Mark stated you need the threading attachment for this machine to do any theading as it is not die head friendly in my experience. This is not to say that you can't use one on it, but it is better suited to releasing tap holders and acorn die holders due to the way the tool turret works. It is a centerline/tool holder clearance issue. The tread forms show up on eBay all the time, but I have yet to see just the threading attachment by its self.