PDA

View Full Version : Lathe bed nick filling

J Tiers
02-11-2005, 10:37 PM
The bed of the Logan has some dings and scrapes froma knuckle-dragging P.O. I have meant to do something about them, other than stoning doen the high spots.

So I finally found a "round tuit", while poking around the basement trying to avoid some other cleanup work.

I cleaned the offending spots with solvent until there was no hint of any dirt coming up. Then, not having any of the filled epoxy I was planning to use, I mixed up some regular (filled would work better, but could be pricey).

The spots were pasted over, taking no care to get the surface level. I rapidly found out that trying to get the spots filled exactly level was a non-starter.

After the epoxy had cured, I went back with a "burr file" (which knocks off high spots, but glides over smooth surfaces without cutting). The epoxy was actually pretty easy to cut off, and the surface is nice. I

I'd post a pic, but it is clear epoxy, and you can't see it! But a thumbnail glides over, same as the carriage.

It actually isn't difficult....I seem to recall someone asking about it on here...could have been the email group though....

Herb Helbig
02-12-2005, 04:13 PM
JT - Just to let you know that I've added this to my collection of useful info!

------------------

spope14
02-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Would JB Weld also work in this application?

To add a bit more, sounds like a great idea. I epoxied a ski binding with the five minute type when I ripped off a X-C binding while 20 miles out in Yellowstone. The binding still holds 20 years later.

Never thought of it for machines, only JB weld. I will ahve to try this.

Good job.