PDA

View Full Version : Starrett No 423 Scale Set

Bills-Shop.com
02-12-2005, 05:37 PM
I was given a Starrett No. 423 Scale set. It is complete. I can not figure out how the scales are attached to the handle. Can someone help me with this. A second question is how is this set used or what is its intended use? Thank you, Bill

------------------
Bill
bill@bills-shop.com

precisionworks
02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Bill, they're used with a handle to measure in confined areas. Here's a page from the L.S. Starrett website that explains it:

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?groupid=168

------------------
Barry Milton

SGW
02-13-2005, 08:10 AM
If it's still not apparent after reading that description, you may need to loosen the knurled nut on top of the handle and press down on it to get the slot at the other end to show.

A handy tool to have. I use mine only about once a year, but then it's just the thing.

madman
02-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Whats a set of these scales cost.

Bills-Shop.com
02-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Thank you for all of your responses. My chuck seems to be stuck in the sleeve. I have put some penetrating oil on both ends. When I unscrew the handle there is a spring there and a threaded rod. I assume I can put a nut on it and tap down to hopefully free the chuck. Is that a good guess?

------------------
Bill
bill@bills-shop.com

precisionworks
02-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Warm spindle oil works wonders. Take your thinnest oil (like Mobil Velocite 6), heat it with a propane torch in a metal coffee can to 250* -- I use my wife's candy thermometer -- and let the part soak til oil is cool. Usually works, sometimes takes three or four cycles.