PDA

View Full Version : Those #%$^&*(*~ cans!!!!

Michael Az
02-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Does this ever happen to you fellows? Like some of you, I'm sure, I have some five gallon cans sitting in the shop. Most of mine come with kerosene or solvent in them. Problem I have is with the big change in temperature from day to night here in the desert, sometimes from the twentys at nite to 60's during the day. At nite the cans will contract and then sit there silent as can be just waiting for me to come out and go to work. Then, when I'm boring a hole with the mill and holding my breath that the expensive carbide boring bar doesn't break, or maybe while tapping a 6-32 thread through hardened steel, one of those damn cans will expand enough from the shop being warmed up and here comes a loud "POP"! Don't know how many times I've had to go change shorts.
Michael

Evan
02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I have a little air compressor in my basement shop. As I don't use it very often when working it doesn't cycle very often. When it does start it is always at the most inopportune moment.

lynnl
02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I have the same air compressor startup situation. But you can train yourself to ignore familiar, recurring noises like that.
(...or at least to not flinch)

topct
02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Crack the caps just a bit and let them vent.

------------------
Gene

Your Old Dog
02-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Wrap some foam rubber around the cans so the temperature change gets moderated. Don't think it'd be safe to just put them into an insulated locker as fumes might build up if anyting went wrong.

Allan Waterfall
02-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I used to have a similar problem storing model diesel engine fuel in gallon cans.I used to squeeze the can before I screwed the cap on.
Don't know how much you can squeeze a five gallon can though.

Allan

bobodu
02-11-2005, 09:14 PM
If ya really wanted to get fancy,you could put a fermentation lock on them like winemakers use....gurgle,gurgle,gurgle.

dvideo
02-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Hmmmm... one positive point... Now cleaning your shorts is a legitimate tax deductable...

--jr

spope14
02-12-2005, 11:02 PM
It's the one gallon cans that startle me. I have a large school shop, and oil and such in one gallon metal cans. The morning temps are at about 55, and by noon when the heat finally reaches my shop, it is about 68 degrees, and cans are popping all over.

Used to it by now - sort of. Had one go off as i was leaving the shop this afternoon (yes, i work saturdays). Caught my attention.

wierdscience
02-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Cans don't bother me,now customers who sneak up and slap me on the shoulder while I'm doing something tedious I hate.

Smokedaddy
02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
I thought those safety cans were leakproof, prevented flashback ignition and had a relief mechanism that automatically vented them.

WTF,
-SD:>?

CharlesM
02-13-2005, 12:12 AM
I had one of these monents this morning. I had a 7" long piece of 1/2 X 4" steel bar stock being cut off in the horizontal bandsaw. I got busy grinding something on the bench grinder right next to the saw. When the piece of bar stock fell off the saw I about went through the ceiling.

------------------
Charles McGough
Sterlington, LA

Rich Carlstedt
02-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Just put a piece of steel,like 1x4x6 on the top of the can, and it will stop doing it.
If its flamable use some copper or Aluminum
The force is not great enough to overcome the weight

spope14
02-13-2005, 06:43 PM
yeah, people sneaking up on me. I work late nights on fridays in the school shop, where the entire school is dead empty but for my shop. never fails, somebody will hammer on the back door right in the middle of threading, final boring, or grinding an end mill. I ould si hre ll month and not do these operations, and nobody will bother me, but start one of these things, this is a guarantee.