PDA

View Full Version : OT - Need I.E. Help

lynnl
02-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Somehow I've lost my linkbar, or whatever it's called on Internet Explorer, that shows the back button, favorites, history, etc. across the top portion of the screen. (Also the URL address line)

Right now I only have one line at the very top showing "FILE EDIT VIEW FAVORITES TOOL HELP", and nothing I've been able to find has enabled me to Unhide all that other crap.

Anybody know how to unhide that or whatever I need to do?

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 02-12-2005).]

J Tiers
02-12-2005, 11:13 AM
You should be able to access "view" and select the toolbars that you want to have visible.

After doing that, use your re-set capabilities to download and install Mozilla instead of IE......

lynnl
02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
The view dropdown box only offers one toggle switch (Status Bar) which I have turned on. Then it offers sub-menus for 'ToolBars' which includes: Standard Buttons, Address Bar, Links, Lock the Toolbar, and Customize...
I've tried toggling all of those with no success.
Then the other View sub-menu "Explorer Bar" only offers actions: Search,Favorites, History, Media, Folders, Tip of the Day, and Discuss (whatever that is). But none of those are toggle switches.

I wonder how many people in the world have had the urge to choke Bill Gates.
E

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 02-12-2005).]

vinito
02-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Have you tried unlocking the toolbar and trying to stretch the toolbar window down?
After that (if it works) you might be able to drag things around and put them back where you want them.

lynnl
02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
By George..that was it! Thank you Vinito. You're a good man. I take back all the mean, nasty things I ever said about you.

Spin Doctor
02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
If not Mozilla Netscape 7.xx at the least

lynnl
02-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, I have used Netscape, and prefer it. But when I started using Turbo-Tax, the first time it insisted on I.E. ...and I hate going thru any sort of re-configuration with windows. It invariably turns into a waste of 3 or 4 hours of my life.

There was a time when I enjoyed fiddling around with computers. But now I just want the damn thing to work, with minimal interference in my life. I don't even like to have to reboot. So I just leave 'em on full time, unless we're having a lot of Tstm activity around. I've had enough electrical storm damage to modems and computers to convince me to just unplug stuff when possible.

DICKEYBIRD
02-12-2005, 04:02 PM
The F11 key toggles the Full Screen option on & off. I accidently hit it one time and it drove me nuts 'til someone told me about it!

J Tiers
02-12-2005, 11:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
Yes, I have used Netscape, and prefer it. But when I started using Turbo-Tax, the first time it insisted on I.E. ...and I hate going thru any sort of re-configuration with windows. It invariably turns into a waste of 3 or 4 hours of my life.
</font>

Do what I did. I installed Mozilla, but left I.E. on the machine, for anything that HAS to have it.

It causes no problems, and if it isn't running, it shouldn't have a vulnerability.

Unplugged is how most of my computers spend their resting hours....especially in summer, when we get telephone-blasting thunderstorms.

Although I did re-install windows in a 2 hour session during which a spot t-storm came through....nothing bad happened, except the usual microsoft stuff.

lynnl
02-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Well actually the computer I had this particular problem with is a laptop my company provides for use to sign on and deal with problems during the off hours, including a week of on-call duty every coupla months. I keep it downstairs, where it's handier to use, so I seldom use my own PC... wifey uses it mostly.

At any rate, I'm supposed to use only "company approved" software, and there is auditing software employed when I sign on that periodically monitors the H.D.

J Tiers
02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Ah, well then you are stuck.....

But then any problems you can turn over to the approved corporate experts....let them sort out their socks, you needn't worry about it.

But I see your point, they take a dislike to what they may consider silly questions and problems..........which can be nearly anything.

vinito
02-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Ah! I haven't checked back 'til now. Glad it helped. I wonder why I knew to suggest that particular solution...? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
I must have missed the threads with all those mean & nasty things too. Maybe my IE is hiding them from me.
Oh, well. Bill G knows what's best, right?

Evan
02-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Grrr...