PDA

View Full Version : Varnamo Shaper

Troyaero
02-07-2005, 09:48 AM
A year ago I purchased a Varnamo shaper from a fellow. He said he got it alone with other machinery from a tech school. The Varnamo has a 14" stroke and looks almost new. I suppose not much use came its way. Anyway it is made in Varnamo Sweeden or the best I can tell. What I am looking for is some way to find some info, docs, etc. on this nice machine. Any ideas? Searching on the internet came up with zilch. I also got a Ammco shaper from the same guy. It is a 7" stroke machine and really nice. Weak side of the Ammco's is the phenolic bull gear I am told but this one looks perfect.

Herb W
02-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Have you tried the Yahoo shaper group?
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/
I think I've seen Varnamo mentioned there.

Dr. Rob
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
These people specialize in renovating Swedish machines. Not sure if Värnamo is among them, but worth a shot:

Storebro Service-System AB. Email is info@storebro-service.se and the 'net is www.storebro-service.se (http://www.storebro-service.se)

PeterM
02-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Troyaero. I'm the one with the Varnamo shaper at the Yahoo Metal_shapers group. I'll be happy to help in any way I can, but I'm afraid don't have any written material regarding the machine itself.
/PeterM

Troyaero
02-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the info. PeterM, I will take a closer look to the machine and its data tag. I will get a picture or two posted. Probably in the next couple weeks I will have it positioned in my shop and have it hooked up. At that point I'll need some help on all the levers and what they do. Nice things to know before I hit the power switch. Dr. Rob, the Sweedish web site requires someone to read Sweedish print!! I know there are translators on some websites but I'll need to get some help for this one. Thanks.

PeterM
02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
What kind of model is yours? Mine is a SH1, 10" shaper. Pictures can be found in the metal_shaper_pix group in the folder "Varnamo". The shaper is awaiting refurbishment and it might take a while, since I'm in the middle of what turned out to be a major Colchester Master Mk1 lathe refurbishment project.
Anyway, regarding the Swedish site mentioned above, I'm not sure you'll find much there. Since living in Denmark with Sweden practically in my backyard I can read Swedish and grunt some.. one thing though is that they mention a huge number of spare parts in store. If you go in that direction, I will gladly make an inquiry for you?

Dr. Rob
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Like Peter said, they claim to have a whopping 80 000 articles and over a million items in stock.
I could translate everything for you, but won't. Just click on Kontakt & drop 'em a line.

Jeez, they have a lot of stuff... Never bothered to look at that site 'til now. Think I'll drop 'em a line m'self...

Tinker2
02-08-2005, 07:29 PM
http://search.ebay.com/Metal-Shaper_Business-Industrial_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoent rypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfromZR9QQfso oZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ12576

Troyaero
02-09-2005, 08:18 AM
PeterM,
Mine is I believe the EV-3 which is the model that Tinker2 found on Ebay. Mine looks comparatively new in comparison as it seen little use. I'll have to go out to my shop this weekend and check the data tag to make sure and I also want to take a few pix to post. Dr. Rob I will check on my model number and then click on "Kontakt" at the storebro-service web site. Hope someone will interpurt and reply. Thanks to all. I'll post a few pix of the Varnamo and the AAMCO after I take some this weekend. Also how do I get to the the folder containing the Varnamo pix?

vmil3
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Troyaero
To learn more about shapers go here,
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/
you have to register, but it's free they also have a sister site that has more pic's of shapers and files here
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers_Pix/

It is at the pic's site at the very end under photos
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/metal_shapers_pix/lst?.dir=/Varnamo&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/metal_shapers_pix/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.s rc=gr%26.view=t

------------------
Doug

Troyaero
02-10-2005, 08:24 AM
VMILL3,

Thanks for the info on the pix. I was thinking for some warped reason it was on this website. Yes, I know about the Yahoo and have a subscription to the forum and pix. I was at my shop last nite and looked at the data tag and it is an EV-2 and not the EV-3 as I thought. The fellow that sold it to me last year thought(?) it was maybe a 14" but I thought that was a bit big for the size of the machine. The EV-3 on Ebay says it is a 10" I think they say but they are also not sure since it sounds like they do not have an operators manual. From looking at the machine I would suspect that this one is a 10". I will try to contact the web site in Sweeden and see what they have to say. Past that I have no idea as to what all the levers, etc. are for and do not want to try anything with it until I get some instruction.

Troy

PeterM
02-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Troy,
By looking at the eBay pictures, you got 3 levers at the machines right side. The long top lever is the idle gear (do you call it that?) and my guess is that the 2 gearbox levers is speed control.
You can always turn the belt pulley by hand and se if the ram is moving and such. The top lever (the long one) is idle when it is pulled out from the machine - at least that’s how it works on my machine.
/PeterM

vmil3
02-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Troyaero,
The controls are pretty genaric on shapers, from looking at the pic's on Ebay this is what the respective levers do, from the top of the shaper.
1. Top of ram where the crank handle is, this is the ram lock bolt, it locks the ram to the rocker arm, you loosen to adjust the position of the ram,( where you want the tool bit to start). The ram is moved by the square end shaft at the front of the ram, just behind the swivell head. Once ram position is adjusted tighten ram clamp lock bolt.
2.Long bent lever, this is the clutch rod, normaly pull away from machine to engage the clutch, push towards machine to disengage the transmisson. by feathering the clutch lever you can move the ram very slowly, and stopping the ram any where in it's stroke.
3. Two shorter levers to your right, these are the transmission levers to change the speed of the ram, normaly shifted when the ram is stopped. some times you have to feather the clutch for the levers to shift fully into position. Some machines have a nutral position, this allows you to move the ram via the crank pin shaft and crank handle so you can check the start and stop positions of the tool bit.
4. Crank pin and lock nut ( in the middle of the shaper body), has a square on the end of the shaft, and the shaft has a knurrled lock nut. This is to adjust the stroke of the ram as follows: First move ram to it's most retracted position ( feather clutch rod). shut off power to machine, place crank handle on crank pin sq., grasp knurled nut with one hand, other hand on crank handle, (nut is normaly LH thread) loosen nut, then as you crank the crank pin one way or the other you can change the length of the stroke of the ram, look on the top of shaper ram ways , there should be a scale in inches or c/m (centimeters), and on the ram there should be a pointer, this is used to select the length of stroke. Once the length is set lock in place by holding the crank pin handle and tighten the knurled nut.
5. Below the crank pin is the feed adjustment knob (knurled) to change the amount of feed on the table, loosen knob, move (slide) knob towards centre of dovetail boss to reduce feed, and away from centre to increase feed of table, tighten knob when desired feed is obtained, each tooth on the gear on the table feed shaft will change feed rate .005 to .007"/ tooth.
6. Small lever to your left is the cross rail lock, loosen to adjust table height, then tighten,there are two locks ,one on each side of the cross rail. You must loosen the front table support nuts before raising /lowering table, then "after" you tighten the cross rail locks, you then tighten the front table support nuts.
7. Follow the casting of the table feed to the left of you,towards the table, there will be a sq. drive shaft (table feed shaft) this is to position the table on the shaper. To move the sq. drive shaft look on top of the casting, there you will find a feed knob, lifting the knob and rotate a 1/4 turn, you will find the knob stays up, via a small pin in it's shaft, while in this position you can move the table across the cross head. To engage table feed turn the elevated knob back a 1/4 turn, it will drop into position and commence to feed, lifting and turning the knob a 1/2 turn will reverse the table feed. On some machines this knob is a 3 position lever.
8. Back up to the ram, on the front is the swivelling head, to loosen, two nuts on either side of the head are loosened and the head swivelled to required setting, (only used for angle cutting), normaly set 90° with a dial indicator, (for cutting key ways) or by eye for general shaping.
9. The clapper box holds your tool post/tool bit, there is a nut at the top of the clapper, loosen to swing clapper left or right( this allows the tool bit to lift up and "away" from the work).The clapper is tilted L/R so that when standing in front facing the shaper (not under power) but by hand you lift the tool holder so the holder lifts and swings away from the direction of the feed. The only time the clapper is set at 90° is when cutting key ways, splines, or slots.
10. Back to the crank handle, "NEVER" leave the crank handle on the machine"s feed or stroke adjustment shafts, when energizing the shaper these shafts "rotate", leaving the crank handle there will allow the shaper to kick/pound this rule in to your body parts or brain. I place the crank handle on the ram lock or the ram position adjuster, or better yet on a bench.
11. Always wear "SAFETY GLASSES", Keep hands away from tool bit while under power, the shaper "cannot think" for you.

------------------
Doug

Elbe
02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi troyaero.
I am from Sweden, I live 50 miles from the town Värnamo, I am familiar with the Swedish machine tool industry. Contact me directly if you want any help, my e-mail is jaretegs@swipnet.se. I had a Värnamo 14" shaper in my shop, but I sold it 10 years ago.
Lars Jareteg

Troyaero
02-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Doug and Lars, thanks for the extensive info on my Varnamo. Lars I will send email to you after I see what I can find off of the web site listed above. I may need your help. Troyaero