PDA

View Full Version : MAGNETIC TABLES

Norman Atkinson
02-12-2005, 02:49 PM
I have been given a 10X5" Eclipse Magnetic chuck which was probably used as an anchor!

I have freed the handle sufficiently to get it to work after a fashion but it really needs to be stripped thoroughly, derusted and re-oiled.

WD40 only freed the handle and one bolt, the rest are firmly stuck into the top.
Neither WD40 or successive applications of thin oils which have been warmed to decrease the viscosity have worked on the others. The bolts are screwdriver slotted and because of their length cannot be started with a cow mouth chisel.

Any further suggestions would be welcomed

Norman

pgmrdan
02-12-2005, 03:03 PM
WD-40 works sometimes but the WD stands for water displacement. Try penetrating oils.

Kroil is supposed to be good. 3-in-1 has a penetrating oil. Marvel Mystery Oil may be a penetrating oil. PB Blaster is good according to some.

Norman Atkinson
02-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks!

Penetrating Oil and ether mixed

Will report- and if necessary put my fingers in my ears. Heading to be a great man in a political organisation!

Any more ideas apart from having to make 8 new bolts?

Norman

Allan Waterfall
02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
If you warm that mixture up you won't be quite so cold in your shed. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif If it doesn't put you to sleep first.If I don't get any emails from you in the next five days,I'll dial 999

I think the ether will evaporate before it gets in to anywhere..

Allan

Norman Atkinson
02-12-2005, 05:07 PM
2 point 8 in the shed. The shed door has blown off.Probably the ether. Great way to save on haircuts!

Pardon???? Speak up Allan!!!!!!!

Norman

And the bloody thing is still in one piece- even if I am not.

gunsmith
02-12-2005, 05:50 PM
It smells but it does get into everything crack and crevice. Furnace oil, and you don't have to thin it either. I have a small tank and either I submerg the item in it or I just brush it on. Sometimes in a few hours its free and sometimes a week, but it always works.

Norman Atkinson
02-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks Gunsmith. I don't think that we have such a thing as furnace oil. We have stopped ship building on the Tyne.
Got me a Diesel Merc Brake. Will that juice work?

Norman

Jim Bass
02-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Norm,

Get a hand impact driver like this. Harbor Freight or e-bay, lots of other places. You can use screw driver bits supplied or a socket for cap screw heads. Put turning pressure on driver with one hand and smack it good & hard with a three pound hammer. You can use this to remove or tighten, be carefull if you use it to tighten, as it will be TIGHT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/9jim9/DSC00096.jpg

Another trick is to take a flat ended punch , place it on the screw head and give it a hard rap with a hammer. A lot of the time this will "shock" it, stretch the threads a touch and you can then screw the bolt out.

Good Luck, Jim

Norman Atkinson
02-13-2005, 02:59 AM
Thanks Jim!

Whilst I do not have an impact wrench, I know how to generally frighten the S*** out of a piece of metal. For your punch read cow mouthed chisel. Goes back to the blacksmith shop when I was about 3 or 4!

This beastie really has me stumped. I wondered what modern inventions had arisen since my days of Brute force and Bloody ignorance.

I think stage 2 is to drill a hole in the base, tap it and fill it with some penetrating oil or other with the whole lot in a tray of the stuff. I can't use much heat because of the ally and the magnets.
And revert to the radio fitter's kit- don't ask.

Thank you all for your help.

Norman

Allan Waterfall
02-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Norman,

I think furnace oil is probably what we call domestic heating oil.Possibly same as red diesel on farms.
British boiler = American furnace?

Allan

madman
02-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Ive had amazing sucess with kroil oil. Spray and pray spray and let it sit .

JCHannum
02-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Many magnetic chucks should not be dismantled, as it can spoil the magnet.

It might be a good idea to check with Eclipse to see if they are serviceable. The screws may be Loc Tited to prevent user servicing.

J Tiers
02-13-2005, 10:36 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
Many magnetic chucks should not be dismantled, as it can spoil the magnet.

</font>

Truth. And, for "may" read "almost certainly will".

No advantage to have it moving freely, but so weak it won't hold a flea under a pound weight.

pgmrdan
02-13-2005, 10:38 AM
When loosening rusted metal parts there are 2 things required: penetrating oil and time.

You're using the first requirement now use the second requirement.

Other than a little (and I mean little) tap now and then to set up some vibration to help the oil penetrate and a little nudge to see if things are loosening up I wouldn't try an impact driver or anything forceful.

Experienced tractor and car restorers know that you may have to wait a couple of weeks of even a couple of months for bolts to loosen up with penetrating oil. Give it TIME.

Norman Atkinson
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for all your advice.
I couldn't find out whether my chuck was able to be serviced but I did find out the price.

A case for intoducing a hole and trying to clean it out from there.

Again, my thanks.

Norman

gunsmith
02-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Yep, diesel is the same. "Brake" eh! Good thing I know what you are talking about or I would be wondering why or how a metal brake uses diesel. Good luck.

sandman2234
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I thought home heating oils were a single grade higher than the diesel I run in trucks. #1, #2, etc..
Any of it will work, just pick up a gallon at your friendly local Truckstop.
David from jax

gunsmith
02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Geeze sandman, you must come from the up side of town to think that. Ya got it all wrong boy. Home heating oil is that thick black stuff and truck fuel is what we skim off the top of the tank and put in our coffee in the mornin. How else do ya think we keep warm when were out on the ice shooting seals? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

DR
02-14-2005, 06:46 PM
" Home heating oil is that thick black stuff "

Huh???

Norman Atkinson
02-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi Gunsmith!

Glad you could understand my lingua franca which is Latin for French about Brakes.Not Freins or is this Spanish.

I resisted using using the correct "Estate car" for my oil burner as I have only 1/3rd of an acre and it sounds rather presumptive.

The English language went to blazes when the Normans came in the time of William the Corncurer. Would you believe- the Queen still uses Norman French on Parliamentary documents?
The Scots still use French on Burns Supper
They eat Haggis- which is simple French from the Auld Alliance- for "Mixed"- or Hachis.

We create "turnings" from our lathes whereas they are really " Tours"
and we unscrew things which are Tournevis, which as all good Scots know is " A lathe on the highest mountain in Scotland"

Which is where I came in!Trying to unscrew some bolts( not from your gun) but from my breeches.
Confused, I should hope so.

Norman

roninB4
02-15-2005, 05:45 AM
The penetrating oil, Kroil is good, will work better if there's a reservoir of it instead of allowing it to run off the fastener. Stand the chuck so the fasteners are vertical. Take some modeling clay and build a dam around the offending fastener. Put in enough oil to submerge and let stand. We used Kroil on an injection mold that had become unified from non-use. The leader pins and cams had become integral and no amount of force would seperate the halves. After a week of soaking and replenishing the oil it did come apart.