PDA

View Full Version : Moving Shop

madman
02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
We are moving. Hopefully to a nice quiet place up in northern ontario. I am looking for a truck to move my shop. Bridgeport mill lathe shaper and tons of tooling ect. Would a school bus be suitable for this pile of machinery also how to move it into and out off the truck by myself. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Mark Hockett
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Madman,
I am also getting ready to move about 600 miles. I called some truck companies and the quotes all were about $1600.00 US to move 3 milling machines, 3 lathes 1 large shaper, surface grinder, foundry bench and furnace, slotter, Doall band saw, horz band saw, table saw, tool boxes, benches, case tractor, 3 welders, forklift and tons of other smaller tools and tooling. My forlift is tool small to lift the shaper and surface grinder as both are over 5000lbs so I will rent a larger forklift from the local rental yard to load with. The nice thing about hiring a trucking company is they are insured for any damages that might happen during transport.
Mark

mayfieldtm
02-14-2005, 01:47 PM
A friend of mine bought a used semi truck trailer. Loaded it up with a rented fork lift and hired a driver to deliver it to his new place.
It just sat there until he finished building his new shop that included a loading dock just the same height as the trailer. Unloaded the machines using dollies and a pallet jack.
Then he sold the trailer at just enough profit to pay for the delivery costs.

Tom M.

rbjscott
02-14-2005, 02:59 PM
A race car person in my area bought an old school buss and modified it with a door and roll-back, un-loads his car and then the tool boxes. Roll-backs are used to move machine tools al the time.

bikenut
02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey Mike, you ain't moving just because of the cabinets and plumbing are ya? Good luck, moving iron is a bitch. I'm always a wreck until my machines are back on the ground. If I could afford it I'd hire it out and go on vaction. Later, Smitty

JPR
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
If your are going to modify the back of the bus, what about adding an I-beam for a hoist and trolley that extends past the back a meter or so. Like some of the propane tank trucks, the ones that delivery the actual tank to your site.

Ries
02-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, I have only owned one school bus, so I am not an expert, but one thing I learned is- a bus is not a truck.
They are usually way underpowered compared to a truck- they are designed to carry maybe 50 kids that weigh 100lbs each- so that is only 5000lbs, and that is a 30 or 32 foot bus. Whereas a truck the same size is usually 5 tons- twice the payload.
And they are not usually expected to go very fast. Most schoolbuses also dont have the floor structure to support much weight, and they are designed so that if you start cutting the walls or roof, they get real wiggly real fast.
I have heard there is a place called Pods that will drop off a container, you load it, then they drive it where you want, and leave it there for you to unload. When empty, you call and they come pick it up. That seems like one good deal- everything at ground level, build a simple ramp and use a pallet jack. http://www.podsusa.com/
Crossing borders might complicate things, though.
As mark said- there are freight brokers who will find you as much flatbed space as you want, for a whole lot cheaper than a moving company will charge.

ibewgypsie
02-15-2005, 12:16 AM
My plate on my school bus.. I got a 32 passenger 78 chevy sitting here.

It weighs empty, NOW GET THIS.. 13,650 pounds.
It has a real truck chassis underneath, not for hauling kids, the goverment specs them, corrugated panels, so many rivets, seats, windows.

The international school bus we had a rolling tattoo shop in, it has a 6.90 rear axle ratio. With the 20" tires it would cruise at 70mph with the gas burner engine all day long. With the diesel 7.3 in it now it will top out and the governor kick in at 52mph. I almost got hit in the rear three times last time I drove it. I traded it off for the stroker harley.

Yes, it'll haul anything you can load into it. You need to really give a bus a going over thou since they get used up. I think the payload on the one here is about 15,000, add that to the unloaded weight and you see why it makes tracks in the grass in the yard. I moved mine while loaded with my small shop equipment.

I drove it to Home depot, bought all the plywood, all the lumber, all the electrical, plumbing, backed it up to the concrete slab and started building my small house. I had loaded it in sequence where I needed the lumber. Compressor was on board, as was my gang box full of tools.

It has not been drove since.. Why don't you come and get it ? It has about 10-20,000 pounds of ebay junk in it right now. Runs good. tires are probably rotten now thou. They are only about $280 per.

David

dvideo
02-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Dave...

I just have to ask... Is this your *magic* school bus? You could write some profound Zen BS wisdom on this. "Dave and the Art of School Bus Ebay sales". Some funny things come to mind....

--jerry

ibewgypsie
02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Dvideo..

The "junk" has to sit somewhere. I don't want it cluttering up my yard. I mow around enough stuff. It's a building on wheels.

My partners? if it don't sell the first time he wants to "double" the price and post it on ebay again. Yep. Ebay made a lot of money off that mentality. Kinda a "raise the price so we can discount it thinking"

I'll get around to posting it all for a penny each. I'll notify everyone when I do, lots of good junk in there. Gast blowers, stepper motors as large as the ones on my mill, 3phase motors, Dc motors, belts, contactors, air cylinders.

A wore out bus is a lot better chassis than any motorhome out there. Most them motorhomes are built for "light duty use" and the rear axles die before putting 30k miles on them.
The air brakes on my bus, or the one at the shop stops the bus even loaded.

Zen? Junk collector is more like it. I have built quite a few things out of junk lately.

NO BS here. Ya need to ride through Georgia and stop by (coffee in the morning, beer in the afternoon)

I have to get rid of the bus before I can build onto my shop. Otherwise I would have to tear down the privacy fence to get it out. Nope not gonna..

ibewgypsie
02-15-2005, 11:37 AM
One thing to watch out for, on the older buses, they have Split rims.

You change the tires with a sledge hammer , knock out the split rings. But While airing it up? you need a six foot air chuck. Lots of people have had broken legs, cut off legs, and injured grieviously with them.

The Floor, is about a 14-11 ga metal in my bus. It is not sufficient to carry non-distributed loads. Ie: Heavy metal items on bases. You'd have to install plate to spread the weight out, or thick layers of plywood. Also, no where to tie machinery down inside a school bus or inside a semi-van type trailer. One accident and have to slam on the brakes and the driver is hamburger.

I did once see a machine shop built inside a old bus. It was pretty amazing the money the old codger had made. Perhaps that is the way we all need to do. Adapt. He slept in his "nasty" clothes on a cot right next to the machinery.

(offline to continue carpentry here)

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 02-15-2005).]