PDA

View Full Version : 5C Spin Indexes

ACF
02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Are the spindles on these hollow so a long piece of material can be held and machined, like in the 5C collet system on a lathe? Need to do some milling on a 12 in. long piece and have never seen one of these in the flesh.

Enco has their brand for $29 and phase11 for $59. Can anyone give me some feedback on these two brands. Both POS or is the $59 one better. They give specs on the phase11 that look decent, but, they can claim any numbers they want. I wonder if they really meet those specs.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

G.A. Ewen
02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
You can pass up to a 1" shaft though them.

cmiller231
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Some of them are not machined on the base , so has for example if you wanted to slide it against a rail on grinder or pins on mill.Chris

cmiller231
02-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Some of them are not machined on the base , so has for example if you wanted to slide it against a rail on grinder or pins on mill.Chris

snowman
02-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Watch Ebay.

I sold a Yuasa for 35 bucks a few months ago.

-Jacob

MTNGUN
02-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I've got the $29 Enco unit and it does have a hollow spindle, about 1.05" ID. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it seems to be very well made.

WJHartson
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
From what I can tell all of the spin index for $60 and under are the same. I have purchased them from several different places to see if there is a difference. Can't find any real difference. All have the number of PF70 with a different name. They do not have the sides machined. They now make a tail stock to match these. The only place that I know that handles them is Lathemaster in Baton Rouge, LA., they have a web site. All have a through hole that will handle at least 1 inch.

There is one that looks the same but is very accurate and machined on the sides is sold by
by MSC for about $600.00.

Hope this helps,

Joe

ACF
02-03-2005, 08:14 AM
If the base isn't machined and you want to place it on your table correctly, then it would be necessary to indicate it in using the spindle as a reference. I guess that's the hidden price you pay when you buy a $29 "precision" item. Thanks for the info.

Chris

John Stevenson
02-03-2005, 08:18 AM
You only need do it once.
Pack up off the bed, indicate off the spindle and run a clean up pass down the sides.

For $29.00 it's not rocket science.

John S.

PS.
I still think they would be better off making a ER32 version instead of a limiting 5C.

Orrin
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I have a Phase II and like it. It has turned out to be one of my most-used milling machine accessories. I leave it clamped at one end of the table most of the time.

I've put 1-inch diameter stock through it; haven't tried anything bigger.

Orrin

Gary Helmick
02-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I have one of the $29.00 that you speak of and it is well worth the money for what I have used it for.
Gary Helmick

ACF
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I was going to order one of the cheapos and was wondering if I could set it up and mill it flat on the side. Smarter people than I have already done it. Thanks John S. for verifying it can be done and thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Chris

ACF
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Just a followup:
I don't know why, but I ordered the more expensive phase 2 index, and just got done checking it out. There was a machined surface on the front of the base, where the collet goes in. I set it up on the mill using a square on this surface and the front of the mill table. I placed my 0.5 x 6in. reamer blank, that I use as my reference, in a collet and set up the indicators to see how bad things were. Well, I was sure surprised, when things checked out good. Overall quality was also pretty good, so I would have to say it was a good puchase for $59 and I didn't even have to do any machining to it.

Chris

Spin Doctor
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I've got a set from Lathemaster with the tailstock and now I have to take the time to not only make sure the center heights match but that I mill a 1/2" keyway in the bases and either shoot holes for mounting studs or mill slots for them. Along with grinding the sides square. John Stevenson (?) had a modification for ER 16 or 32 collets he did on on. John could you post drawings?

John Stevenson
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Drawings ??

DRAWINGS ??

That's a hoot, better than Weirds blonde joke.
We don't need no steenking drawings.

Does this mean I have to go out into the cold and dark and take measurments ?