PDA

View Full Version : Source for M0/M1 unhardened arbors?

foose89
02-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Anyone?

wschoenbeck
02-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Robert,
I can't help with a source for unhardened morse (I assume you mean morse taper) as I was unable to find one that went from MT2 to J33 for a Rohm chuck I was adapting for my Clausing 8520. However I was able to anneal the arbor I did get as follows. Get a piece of copper water pipe of sufficient length and pinch one end. Turned a brass plug for the other end. Place the arbor in the pipe and seal the end with the plug. I started a charcoal fire in my chimney style charcoal lighter and place the pipe in it and covered it with charcoal (both briquetts and real lump charcoal) and let it burn until the charcoal was gone and the pipe was cool. Couple of hours I think. Was nicely annealed and no fire scale except a little at the pinched end where the pinch leaked a bit. Was able to finish drilling and tapping the MT2 end for the drawbar on my 8520. Works well and I never bothered to re-harden and temper the arbor. Color came out a deep blue-grey uniform over the whole adapter. Hope this helps. I'm strictly amateur and mostly a lurker on this and other boards and news groups.

Bill

foose89
02-15-2005, 05:50 PM
thanks for your time .