PDA

View Full Version : Scam or mistake?

suprdvn
02-15-2005, 09:09 AM
I was watching a lathe a lathe on ebay because it is the same model as my CNC that I am rebuilding. I even put in a token bid for $1001, knowing that I would be outbid. It is all stripped of its original electronics, guards, and accessories, but fitted with a new Ajax control and spindle drive inverter.

The cool part is that it went for $7800. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif That makes me feel justified for putting money into mine.

The weird part is that I got a second chance offer on it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif There were 29 bids after mine from 9 different bidders. Even if the winner backed out the seller would not have had time to contact the other 8 bidders ahead of me. I can only assume it is a mistake since the seller has 100% pos feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3872086631&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

KPLugnut
02-15-2005, 09:38 AM
It is a total scam. There are many ebay bidders getting that same scam handed to them lately, and all they are trying to do is con you out of either your paypal pwd, account #, etc.
Don't fall for it. I was told there is a large group over in China now scamming US Ebay users and in many cases succeeding.

Hope that helps.
KP

ibewgypsie
02-15-2005, 10:02 AM
I have saw items "pumped up to sell" Even if it don't actually sell it sets a precent for future sales.

the seller will sell the item at a much higher price if "past history" showes it to sell for a high price. Buyer who researches past auctions estimates price from that.

NOW, how do they make money off that? I don't have a clue. Ebay makes money.

Kwik switch collets are the one item I noticed that happening to. Pump the price up.

David

suprdvn
02-15-2005, 10:14 AM
There's no way I would have bitten on that offer.

I just realized that it probably was not sent by the seller via ebay but rather a totally scam email.

JCHannum
02-15-2005, 10:52 AM
It is a scam from other than the seller. Forward it to spoof@ebay.com.

madman
02-15-2005, 10:57 AM
E BAYS EVIL

Tinkerer
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Most likely a Scam. The best way to protect yourself from being entangled with things like this when selling a item is to make it a Private Auction. By selecting this option when listing it... none of the bidding ID info is available to scammers. Just a thought.

Tim

egpace
02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Email the seller! Ask HIM if he made the 2nd chance offer. (He most likely didn't)

P.S. Ebay isn't evil, evil people who try to rip you off are evil!

snowman
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I dont like private auctions...they are too easily shilled, and you can't research a sellers past history to see if it's always the same bidder running up the prices.

but then i dont bid til the last five minutes anyway http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Jacob

opua
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Report it to E-bay as JCHannum has noted,
I received the same 'second chance' offer from 3 difference e-mail entities. E-bay acted immediately after I reported and took action against those that they could.

precisionworks
02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
His store looks real & it's all CNC:

http://stores.ebay.com/Golden-Machine

sandman2234
02-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I have received several second chance invitations. One the guy had more than one item, and was letting me have it at the selling price.
The second may have had some shill bidding on it, and I politely told the seller that I would pay my highest bid, before the winner entered the picture. That wasn't my final bid amount, but less since it would have remained less had the "winner" not chimed in. The seller accepted it, and I went and picked it up. No problems with it at all
Another was an item that I really didn't need, but should have bought. Seller was willing to accept my high bid on a reserve auction. I declined, but only because my wife threatened me if I bought anything else on ebay. (Or anywhere else!)
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

precisionworks
02-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Wife told me she'd leave me & take the dog if I bought one more *(%#@ thing on eBay.

Gonna miss that dog.

CCWKen
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh yea, Golden. He started out doing strange stuff. I'm not sure if I'd bid on his stuff. Isn't GM one of the "Watch out for" dealers?

Do a search on this and the other board. I think the name comes up a lot.

meho
02-15-2005, 09:59 PM
I've seen so much used up stuff go for new price on ebay that I don't play any more. When I saw a 50 year old following rest for my Rockwell lathe go for almost $300 I knew ebay is nuts. A few years ago I bid on some very used portable executive bars that went for new prices. I got a new one from my local liquor store for less than the junk on ebay was selling for. I think of ebay like I think of gun shows. 15 years ago I was quoted $35 for a set of Lee loading dies. At the time they were $20 anywhere. The party is over.

James

egpace
02-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I've sold a lot of items on ebay over the years. Once I had a bunch of new Cutler Hammer forward & reverse switches. I listed them one at a time & always had multiple bidders. I would make "second chance" offers to the second, third, & sometimes fourth highest bidders. Would almost always sell one or two more, saved the listing fees. Made some nice spare change & had a lot of fun.

Ed

P.S. 100% positive feedback.

precisionworks
02-16-2005, 12:11 AM
eBay is what you make it. This is what I bought during the last two weeks:

Armstrong 83-411 boring bar holder $23 ($701 new)

Armstrong 82-412 boring bar holder $21 ($893 new)

TapMatic 70-X tapping attachment $102 ($786 new)

Starrett wiggler No. 823 $2.26 ($38 new)

Mitutoyo 18" micrometer standard $1.04 ($71 new)

Mitytoyo digital dial indicator 543-683B $11.50 ($138 new)

For $160.80, I bought $2,627 in tooling. That's six cents on the dollar, although I sometimes pay more if the item is hard to find. My strategy is simple, don't bid where there's lot of bidding, and only bid during the last 15 seconds. And keep a current copy of the MSC Big Book by the keyboard!

Thrud
02-16-2005, 12:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
Starrett wiggler No. 823 $2.26 ($38 new)
</font>

So, you are the bastard that outbid me by .01! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
(just kidding...)

precisionworks
02-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Don't you just hate it when that happens! &lt;LOL&gt;

IOWOLF
02-16-2005, 09:01 AM
I AGREE with Precisionworks,I think ebay is a fine tool like any other tool use it properly,knowledge Is a tool also.