View Full Version : Whatsit?

J Tiers
02-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Odd item, looks like a grinder rest, but why would it have a MT2 shank? Notice that it says "P&W" on it. That is the only ID on it, aside from a buzz-pen marking of "USAC".



I thought maybe it had been made from an old drill shank, but.......

Spin Doctor
02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Funny we've got one at work too and I always wondered just what it was. The best guess I can up with is a chamfering tool that can be set to any angle for jig bore work given the P&W makings

[This message has been edited by Spin Doctor (edited 02-08-2005).]

02-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Does the end swivel or lock into place? It almost looks like a wabbling drill.

02-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Pratt & Whitney?

J Tiers
02-09-2005, 08:53 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Does the end swivel or lock into place? It almost looks like a wabbling drill.</font>

It just has a thumb nut for "securement", but does not lock. It isn't steady enough to drill anything with.

I thought it might be a clamp for a "spring rest" on a T&C grinder, but there is zero reason for a MT2 taper on that. It fits the MT2 perfectly.

02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
In the Hartford, CT area there used to be two Pratt Whitney companies. One made aircraft engines (still does,as a division of United Technologies); the other made drill bits, milling cutters and the like. One was Pratt Whitney, the other Pratt and Whitney. I believe the P & W was the "small tool" outfit.

02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Perhaps a tailstock tool rest for spinning work?

02-09-2005, 01:07 PM
My guess is a tailstock clamp for an indicator or some other measuring device.

Spin Doctor
02-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Prior to getting involved the aircraft engine field Pratt & Whitney was a machine tool manufacturer. Primarily lathes and jig bores from my understanding. Once in the engine business they continued to build equipment for some time

02-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Pratt & Whitney the gage and machine tool maker and Pratt & Whitney the aircraft engine manufacturer are two different companies. Both are still in business.

P&W the gage maker is still in that business, and has been since 1860.

As I understand it, in the twenties, there were people in P&W that wanted to get into the engine manufacturing business. The gage making did not want to, but allowed a separate company to form, using the same name.

02-09-2005, 10:54 PM
could it be an old tool to reset the tailstock for realignment to centre after offsetting for taper turning? is there no markings on it at all around the collar?

dunno if it would work or not?

02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
i know an engineering old old timer, see if he knows, he was an apprentice engineer in the days when they turned steel stock by the upward spring in a conifer tree

old git

J Tiers
02-09-2005, 11:08 PM
It seems clearly made to clamp something between the two beveled parts. They swivel, and the thumbnut clamps them.

I thought it was for a "flicker" rest for grinding cutters, after all its adjustable for angle, and would hold the blade. But Ihave no earthly idea why it should be a MT2 taper.

The rest would be a piece of spring steel that you steady the cutter tooth against. For next tooth, you just rotate cutter, it springs away and snaps back behind the tooth.

But it doesn't clamp THAT well. And I can't get over the taper. Makes no sense to do that when a straight shank would work better.

Dave Opincarne
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Something for a turret lathe? I get the ide it's for a lathe tailstock and not ment to rotate. Could the MT just be a convienient way to hold something. Other tools have socket type recievers. Just thinking out loud.

J Tiers
02-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Looks like it is a center reference device.

The flat that holds the "blades" is at 0.250, the shank is 0.500. The blades are surface-ground true.

One would assemble with one of the "blades" in place, having the non-tapered side towards the flat, and stick in tailstock or whatever. Maybe even in spindle, for all I know.

Certainly would allow you to set your lantern toolholder on center.... Presumably the different blades are to fit in different places...for reason s that are not clear to me.

The surface of the "blade" would then be on-center.

Pic of pieces disassembled.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-13-2005).]

02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Who is to say that it is not something somebody has made from something else?

A center finder, angle locator, scale holder all come to mind.

Does the MT #2 shank have a tang to drive it, or is it plain or threaded. That may give further hint to intended use.

USAC & P&W may indicate gage or fixture for P&W engine repair? USAC dates it to WWII vintage. It may have been made for this purpose, or made from something at this time.

J Tiers
02-13-2005, 10:30 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
Who is to say that it is not something somebody has made from something else?


Spin Doctor has one just like it at work.....two minds with but one thought?

Toolmaker Extrodinair
02-13-2005, 06:26 PM
It is a back chamfering tool after drilling hole you use it to chamfer the backside of a through hole.

J Tiers
02-15-2005, 12:44 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Toolmaker Extrodinair:
It is a back chamfering tool after drilling hole you use it to chamfer the backside of a through hole. </font>

Nope....I know that's not it, it wouldn't stand up to that even for a minute. Also it would be pulled out of the spindle, for one thing, there is no retainer. Nor do the "blades" fit with that usage, they aren't sharp nor do they point the right direction.

The best opinion I have received so far is that it is some sort of setup tool for a jig grinder or the like. I'm not sure how it would be used, but so be it.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-15-2005).]

Toolmaker Extrodinair
02-15-2005, 10:19 PM
a lot of older boring mills used morse taper holders, some had locks but most didn't. Never say never.

J Tiers
02-15-2005, 10:29 PM
In this case, I'll say "never".

Look at the tiny #5 or so screw holding the "cutter".....it can't stand any significant force. And the "cutter" won't turn that way.

02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
My guess is that it is a specialized deburring tool - for what, I have no idea...

02-16-2005, 01:03 AM
It just could be possible that it's holder for little metal blocks with numbers or letters on them, used in a mill to press id's onto things. Or not. Maybe it's used with a rotary table where markings need to be pressed into a dial of sorts.

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 02-16-2005).]

02-16-2005, 02:39 AM
The one thing I can say for sure is that something needs paint.

J Tiers
02-16-2005, 08:51 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
The one thing I can say for sure is that something needs paint.</font>

Yeah, I can't decide if I should paint it the red, the bluish color, or the "greeply green" color. So I haven't painted it at all.

Steve Stube
02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe it is used to hold a radius gage to check the turned part. It swivels when clamped and is held on center, could be a handy gage holder even if the gage was a "special" for the job. Otherwise it probably only holds the 3 X 5 recipe card with the ID, OD and step diameters and lengths the machinist is turning to.

Hold up on the paint if that is a laminated wood bench top - might be that you have some curly maple hidden that wants to be exposed and given a clear coat of finish. And, maybe not.

02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Whatever it is I'd put it in the same drawer as this thing,


Small ball=.498 big ball is 1.060.

02-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Go/Nogo guage with a lot of tolerance?

02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Evan, guess what? That was one of the things my dad said it was supposed to be. It was given to the most recent car buyer at the machine shop where he worked. Whatever brand of car they bought, that's a gauge used at that factory. It was also said to be some kind of hole measuring tool. You would set it on the hole and using some kind of formulae you could determine it's size? My dad was a tool and die maker with cruel(to me anyhow) sense of humor.

Didn't mean to hijack this topic, just wanted to show another one of those things that machinist do or have that might make sense only to them. As far as the whatsit, a holder for a card with dimensions etc. might not be to far off.


J Tiers
02-16-2005, 01:08 PM
The thing with the two balls could easily be a taper gage, if it were made with precision. Measures the taper at two points, and also checks the "seating" or proper gage line.
No telling if that one was made for that purpose, naturally, and I havn't looked to see if it makes sense for any particular taper. But 1.060 sounds familiar.

On the benchtop.....and paint.... No fear on that....not only have I no plans to paint it, I think its just ordinary "wood" 4x4s as a benchtop. Back half is metal. Old, solid, heavy, can't buy anything like it new.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-16-2005).]