PDA

View Full Version : OT: Safety Glasses

mawilson
02-15-2005, 11:51 PM
I was wondering about opinions on where to find quality safety glasses for wearing around the shop. The ones I have scratch easily and won't really get that clean after wiping them off. They also don't fit very well and let chips through.
Thanks, Matt

wierdscience
02-16-2005, 12:02 AM
A full face shield works good for me,but I prefer to have chip shields on my machines and wear clear frame safty glasses while standing behind the shield.Face shields and glasses don't protect you from hot chips going down your shirt,or lower http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

I don't care about brand names,only that they fit good and are comfortable.Try a few different brands and find one you like.

snowman
02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
I dont know of a good pair of safety glasses that dont scratch. Most are made of lexan, even though lexan is tough, it's VERY easy to scratch.

As far as cleaning...get some isopropyl alcohol and use a clean rag (t shirt material). It'll clean any oil I've come across right off them.

Best approach is not to scratch em...yet to figure out how to do that http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Jacob

precisionworks
02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Matt, are you asking abouy Rx glasses? The best ones I've found, at any price, are Wal-Mart (I know, don't laugh). All their safety glasses meet the new standard, ANSI Z87.1-2003, for impact resistance.

Wal-Mart prices their safety glasses far below their nonsafety glasses. If you never clean them dry, they'll last a long time. Be sure to get the side shields, they cost only about $5 more.

Ian B
02-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Just a thought:

I wear prescription safety glasses with side shields. Being made of glass, they don't scratch as easily as the plastic lens type.

For those of you lucky enough not to need prescription glasses, why not get an optician to make you a set of prescription glasses with 'neutral' lenses?

Ian

ibewgypsie
02-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I got the bright ideal on using contact cleaner on my saftey glasses at work.

Yep. They turned milky in about two seconds. Couldn't see squat. I snicked about two dozen cleaner packs (*lil towelettes) From TVA, they are great to put into your riding pockets. I think they are alcohol, smells like it.

Smith and wesson makes some nice ones, So does several other brands. I use the saftey sunglasses a lot riding the bike. Trying to remember the brand but I like them a lot. They are a wrap around type that is good for 100 mph before your eyes tear up and leak.

I got a busted nose, they sit crooked on my face if they don't have adjustable bridges. Most don't. If they don't fit tight against your face you can get chips in your eyes.

I don't hardly use a full face shield except to pour metal. Then it needs to be a stainless screen which I don have.

J Tiers
02-16-2005, 01:18 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
Matt, are you asking abouy Rx glasses? The best ones I've found, at any price, are Wal-Mart (I know, don't laugh). All their safety glasses meet the new standard, ANSI Z87.1-2003, for impact resistance.

Wal-Mart prices their safety glasses far below their nonsafety glasses. </font>

GRRRRRR....it figures, I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, so of course they would have the best deal.

However, glasses vary. For instance, the side shields on my prescription safety glasses really are bad....they are loose, and slide around, moving into a position that traps particles and guides them directly into your eyes, instead of shielding. New ones were the same. And these are good type ANSI glasses, with the mark.

BTW, Lexan (polycarbonate) is the stuff to have.
The glass ones are designed to shatter into nice little cubes. So you can be blinded by the shattered glass, instead of just the flying piece.
The Lexan will stop a .22 at least.

However, watch out for solvents and Lexan....the lexan may be damaged and made quite breakable by solvents.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-16-2005).]

precisionworks
02-16-2005, 01:47 AM
The side shields I have are nonfoldable, but they fit without any gap. These are made to exactly fit the frame you buy.

mwumkes
02-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Phillips Safety (you can find the particulars via Google) is an excellent safety glass vendor. I have dealt with them and they are great. They have perscription safety glasses (like reader glasses) and all kinds of stuff. Good outfit! I talked to the guy there are he was saying they sell a thousand pairs a week so they know their stuff.

Handbrake
02-16-2005, 02:36 AM
The ones I wear say Ztek on them. They are also stamped "CAN/CSA Z94.3 PYRAMEX", and "Z87+ TAIWAN". I buy them at the local community college for $3 a pair, so when they get scratched, I'm not too attached to them. Close fitting, snug without giving me pressure soreness, and light enough that I've made it halfway home before I noticed I still had them on.

aboard_epsilon
02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Another use for this stuff ..perhaps

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

all the best.mark

charlie coghill
02-17-2005, 12:13 AM
For those of us that use the lighter plastic lens, Pledge funture polish sure helps with the scratchs. It does have to be renewed each time you clean the lens.Just spray it on and wipe off with a soft cloth or toilet tissue.