PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw flood coolant

jlh28
02-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I want to add a flood coolant to my bandsaw. A good general coolant that will not rot over time. I guess that means synthetic. I would also like to minimize the mess if possible. Just a few suggestions or sources would help.

lenord
02-14-2005, 12:18 PM
There is a 4x6 bandsaw yahoo group that can help out.

I use the blue kool mist as a flood coolant. It mixes with water. No foul smell after 3 or 4 months.

I also got a 2 gallon flood coolant tank, valve and pump from HF. Been doing fine for 2 years, 45333-1VGA, US$40.00.
I liked these so much that I have 3 in the shop now.

FWIW
Lenord

precisionworks
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Best fluid I've found is Valenite ValCool VNT-930. Full synthetic, costs under $20/gallon from all the big suppliers, and one gallon of concentrate makes 20 gallons of mixed fluid.

I don't run the bandsaw every day, so the top layer in the tank gets funky -- called Valenite tech line and they suggest either running the saw a few minutes each day, or putting an aquarium aerator stone in the tank.

As it evaporates, just add more diluted fluid. Seems to last forever, never smells, and leaves a thin oily coating that inhibits rust.

------------------
Barry Milton

gwinn
02-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Guys:

But does yer stuff freeze? That has been the drawback of having my flood coolant tank in place.

gwindt

precisionworks
02-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Take a look at this small heater from Nelson Mfg:

http://www.nelsonmfg.com/bird1.htm

Costs about $35 at big garden centers or online, clicks on at 35F & off at 40F. Lasts a long time (had mine over 10 years).

------------------
Barry Milton

Thrud
02-17-2005, 01:59 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
Best fluid I've found is Valenite ValCool VNT-930. Full synthetic</font>

I also recommend this fluid - nice and clean and the metal does not rust like it does with soluable fat coolants. Mix it with distilled de-ionized water for best results and longest lifespan.