PDA

View Full Version : power feed home brew

David/toledo
02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok was reading Projects 6 and they have a power feed in there. Now the?
I have a 115 ac 1725rpm motor with a reducer on it to 5.1 torque 6 rpm
At a ratio of 288 .1 Will this work for it. Can I make it a variable speed with just light switch? And last how do I reverse it.

Thanks All
David

Paul Alciatore
02-17-2005, 12:15 PM
David,

You don't say (know?) what kind of motor it is but I doubt a light dimmer will work. Perhaps a fan speed control.

As for reversing, most AC motors do not reverse electrically. Again this depends on the type. You may have to use gears or some other mechanical means.

A DC or stepper motor would be a better choice.

Paul A.

SGW
02-17-2005, 12:16 PM
What are you wanting to power feed?

Is that 5.1 ft-lb torque?

If it's an induction motor, you can't vary the speed except by changing the line frequency, and if it's single phase you can't even do that (except to increase the speed) because the starting circuit cut-out will get messed up if you reduce the motor speed by more than a few percent.

If it's a universal motor (with brushes), then you can change the speed with a light dimmer.

To reverse -- assuming it is reversible -- you'll have to swap a couple of internal wiring connections. Since you ask the question, I assume there is no wiring diagram on the connection box cover plate explaining how to do this, however.... But, IF the wires are accessible, and the motor is reversible, you'll need a multi-pole switch you can wire up to do the required connection-reversing.

Mike Burdick
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
David,

You didn't ask this but here is something you might think about for the power. Get a variable speed reversible hand drill (110 volt) and use this as the power source. These are universal motors. Wire the trigger switch direct and replace with a potentiometer that has a good range so you can mark the locations of the different speeds. Install this at a convenient location. Most drills come with a flat round spot just before the chuck that is used to hold an auxiliary handle – this can be used as your mount to the gear reduction etc.

If the thought of having a drill hanging off your mill bothers you then you can manufacturer a replacement cap for the handle that looks “normal”. There may be other tools that can be adapted to your needs as well – perhaps a router. However, the possible tools that will work most likely will depend on the reduction gearing you have available.

David/toledo
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I amit not the sharpes on ac motors. Was just bounceing some ideas around seeing I owned the motor.
David