PDA

View Full Version : PLASMA CAM

audrey
02-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Anyone have a plasmacam machine like in the HSM magazine... How thick a steel plate will it cut. Are you happy with it. I looked at there site but didnt find a price. Youd think a price would be easy to find. Thanx

jamscal
02-19-2005, 02:43 PM
The way I understand it, you have to buy your own plasma cutter seperately, and thus cutting thickness and speed are dependant on this.

Ries
02-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Jamscal is right- plasmacam just sells the cutting table- you supply your own plasma power supply, and your own PC to run the thing. So theoretically, you could cut any thickness with the thing-
Plasma is a lot like hot rods- thickness costs money- how thick do you wanna cut?
My old welding supply store in LA, years ago, had a plasma cutter on the floor that would do 10" plate. They ordered it in for a power plant, but the power plant wouldnt accept it cause it wasnt UL approved. Seems that even though it was a big brand name, Thermal Dynamics, TD didnt want to spend the money for a UL approval for the small number of machines that big that they made. So the welding supply place was selling it for half price, but that was still over 10 grand.

Anyway, the plasmacam table is not strong enough to hold the weight of much over 1" plate- I mean, after all, a 4x8 of 1" plate weighs 1300lbs. You would probably break the thing with the forklift if you were loading those up very often.
It is probably best used for up to 3/4" or so. Maybe a 100amp Thermal Dynamics or Hypertherm power supply- figure another 2500 bucks on top of whatever you pay for the plasmacam.
There are a couple of other manufacturers of those small cutting tables- you might go to Cnczone.com, and look there, as they all advertise there, and there is a group that talks about building your own.

[This message has been edited by Ries (edited 02-19-2005).]

IOWOLF
02-19-2005, 04:04 PM
"Plasma is a lot like hot rods- thickness costs money- how thick do you wanna cut?"

To bad chevy don't make a plaz torch.

ibewgypsie
02-19-2005, 06:12 PM
I got a great big, Union carbide plasma cutter that was used everyday in a foundry. Problem? It is 3 phase and not convertable. It was cutting 2" thick metal up there.

WE got $200 in it. Anyone need it? I have mowed around it for about a year.

David

precisionworks
02-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Make sure that whatever plasma cutter you buy, you feed it extra-clean, super dry shop air. Have a four stage filter on mine, first three stages are this Max Dry:

http://www.usaweld.com/products/accessories/a4.html

Stage four is the MotorGard "toilet roll" filter. Using this filtration, along with air-to-air intercoolers (shop built) and air-to-air aftercooler (shop built) means that consumable life is 400% - 500% greater.