PDA

View Full Version : AO Wheels for HF Grinder

flatlander
02-19-2005, 11:29 AM
The carbide grinder I ordered from HF arrived this week, complete with the green silicon carbide wheels. I've been searching the tool catalogs for metal backed a/o wheels for grinding HSS & T15 tools - so far, the only ones I've found are Norton wheels in MSC for $80 ea.

I assume metal backed wheels are the only type suitable for this grinder because of the mounting backplate, but the price seems a bit steep for someone who uses mostly indexable carbide tooling. I bought the grinder because I have a number of old HSS & brazed carbide tools, as well as a small supply of T15 blanks, and have found it somewhat awkward to freehand grind tools on a regular bench grinder. I'll keep one of the green wheels on it for the brazed carbide tools, and put an A/O on the other end. Would a 60 grit wheel be a good compromise for someone who plans to do more sharpening than grinding from scratch?

Also would like some advice on what type of dresser to buy. I can see the need for one before using the grinder, as there's a little more vibration than I'd like right out of the box, and I can see some loading of the one wheel I've used with HSS already.

Joel
02-19-2005, 02:54 PM
J&L sells a Hertel A/O wheel for HSS, PN: BVCPW-14210H, $24.95 on sale last time I noticed.

MTNGUN
02-19-2005, 03:01 PM
or KBC 1-704-368

shaque
02-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah, KBC, part number 1-704-368, $39.75CDN,page 503 in their master catalogue or better yet, try betterhalf. EVAN"S wife Janet, she knows more about grinding wheel than most of us, and very nice to deal with. Usual disclaimers apply http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 02-19-2005).]

LES A W HARRIS
02-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Flatlander,
J&L # CPW-14210H
6x1x4 46K aluminuim oxide, plate mounted grinding wheel $38.25ea HERTAL.
Les H.

flatlander
02-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I checked both sites you mentioned - it appears KBC has the Triumph wheels on sale for $18.10, which is considerably under the $80 MSC wants for Norton wheels. Will one of the inexpensive wheel-type dressers work OK for these & the SC wheels, or will I have to use a diamond dresser for the SC?

Smokedaddy
02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
flatlander,

I could be full of it but I "thought" someone posted something about the Triumph wheels are not exactly 6" in diameter. Something like 6 1/4" instead and wouldn't fit on the HF grinder you purchased. Dunno, I could be WRONG but I'd check.

-SD: