02-18-2005, 05:59 PM
this machine is trick.

http://www.simcotw.com/mpeg/cnc_650.mpg

Guero
02-18-2005, 06:35 PM
That's kind of spooky....but neat.

zl1byz
02-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow! Thats neat, had to watch that a few times.

John.

SJorgensen
02-18-2005, 07:21 PM
That is trick. I wish I could see it better.

precisionworks
02-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Cool! Had no idea.

hoffman
02-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Far out...
Looks like it feeds the wire out the center and those dies jump out to do the bending/forming as the wire feeds.
Thanks for the link!

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

Spin Doctor
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Most people have no idea the cost of the machinery to make a simple thing like a spring. From the looks of this it is a CNC or at the very least NC controlled machine that can be set up to produce a number of different spring design. And I wonder if the video is slowed down so one can see the process

Ryobiguy
02-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Very cool! It looks like the first two are at full speed, and the then the next one is slowed down.

turn2pb
02-19-2005, 01:01 AM
what does that needle like thing do at 3/4 of the cycle in the right handside?

Brent

Joel
02-19-2005, 01:24 AM
It appears to be a switch that tells the machine to stop feeding the wire (stopping the winding).

retep
02-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Take a look at the parent site if you have time guys, http://www.simcotw.com They make a whole line of machines and about every second one has a few video clips of the machine running. Fascinating stuff, though I sure wouldn't wanna work around one with the noise level. Sheesh!

I'd be very interested in finding out what goes into programming one though. From the looks of it the different methods aren't really standardized, probably more of a trial and error thing.

Evan
02-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I wonder what happens when the next batch of spring wire is ever so slightly different?

charlie coghill
02-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I watched that vido several time and never could see how/or what wound the spring coils. Maybe one of you could see what happens at that point.

rebelrodder
02-19-2005, 09:23 PM
The rolling is done by the die that comes in after the hook is formed. It has a curved face that makes the spring wire coil when fed in from the center of the machine. At least that's what it looked like to me.

It's amazing that such a small and simple item comes from such a big complex machine. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, 4 years making computer chips. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Dave Opincarne
02-19-2005, 09:37 PM
To my mind it looks like the angle on the die/collet plays a roll in forming the helix. Look at its position relative to the helix angle when the spring is being wound.

No experience, just a guess.

JRouche
02-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Nice machine. The cams appear to be all connected through a common drive train. As one cam reverses direction (4th step) they all reverse direction. Engineering in harmony. I wish I had the vision to "see" projected movements to be able to design similar tooling. Kinda like a chess game.

I think this type of setup would be more difficult to design or setup because you have to anticipate the next move and use the correct cam to keep the other slides out of the work area. If they were all independent you would just program each cams motion as needed. I like.
JRouche