PDA

View Full Version : Adapting a bench grinder to wheels with backplates?

Buckshot
02-19-2005, 08:21 AM
........I only have a Rutland tool catalog available at the moment and they show no adaptors or arbors, mandrels, or anything else I could think of to look under.

What I would like to do if find out if such a thing is available. The idea being to utilize abrasive wheels like the steel backed ones with like a 1" hole and the 4 screwholes to a grinder with a 5/8" shaft?

I'm going to assume there is a flanged deal on the shaft, and then the wheel center hole centers it on a boss on the flanged adaptor and the 4 outer holes are for attaching bolts?

I'd like to set up a spare benchgrinder so I could use the edge sharpening type abrasive wheels on it.

I'd think it would not be a big deal to gin up such a flanged adaptor on the lathe for this. Advisable, negatives? Don't do it?

Best,
Rick

happy02
02-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes you can do it. My brother in law used an old electric motor and made his adapter for the motor shaft. You'll also need to make a tilting table for it as well. He uses green silicon carbide wheels on it to sharpen carbide tools as he uses these mostly. I do not know of any adapters offered tho. Harbor freight offers a decent grinder at low cost from all accounts.
As you suspect its not difficult to turn a suitable adapter on the lathe. Just do all boring and turning operations without removing the part. You can then broach in the lathe or part off and broach later if required. The holes can then be laid out and drilled and tapped. As long as it's a good fit to the motor shaft and grinding wheel, no wobble etc. and securely clamped th the shaft then all is well.

shaque
02-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Buckshot;
I use these wheels all the time, the center hole is actually 1-1/4 inch. For the other 4 holes, I use 1/4 inch flat heas socket head screws, this lines up these holes. Bin doin that for the best part of 25 years and no problem. By the way I use the white oxide wheels with a 46 grit and they do a fine job. I have also used a 60 grit, but if memory serves me right, they produce too much heat.
Hope this helps.
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Buckshot
02-20-2005, 08:06 AM
.........happy02 & shaque, thank you for the replies.

A further question then. I'm going to guess that aluminum would NOT be suitable material for this adaptor flange. Since the 4 outside screwholes are 4.5" then I'm looking at a 5" diameter by say 1.5" piece of HRS to turn one from?

Rather then that, would a weldment be workable? The motor turns @ 3450 rpm. Cut a piece from .250" HRS plate and then bore for the sleeve. Press in the sleeve and then weld both sides, chuck and finish machine? Thanks again.

Best,
Rick

shaque
02-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Buck;
my adapter is made out of aluminum.
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif