PDA

View Full Version : want to laern all about the kinds of threads

shemtov
02-19-2005, 12:02 AM
hi i would like to learn about the kind of threads there are the tables of dimentions and the diffrences between them.

can sobody help me?

.RC.
02-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Do a google search and you should find something....The info is out there in internet land(I have seen the info u want online but I can't remember where now)...

Mike Burdick
02-19-2005, 02:36 AM
shemtov,

Try this link for thread specs:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/sthrdndex.html

Norman Atkinson
02-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Screwcutting in the Lathe by Martin Cleeve- publisher Argus Books, should cover almost every eventuality

Norman

Paul Alciatore
02-19-2005, 02:35 PM
As Norman said, Clive's book is great. Probably more than you want at the present time. But it doesn't have the tables with all the dimensions, etc.

What you probably want is Machinery's Handbook. It details most, but possibly not all, thread forms with drawings, tables of sizes, equations, a good discussion, etc. I think the current edition is getting a bit old (a year or so) and the prices are dropping. Or you can get a older, new or used edition for a better price. It is also available on CD.

Things like thread forms do not change very much because today's fasteners have to fit 1920 and older ones. So older editions of the handbook will be just as useful as the latest one unless you are making screws - and just screws - for a living. I picked up an older edition (14th, 1952) for about $15 at a used bookstore. It has served well.

Paul A.

Norman Atkinson
02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks Paul A. my copy of Machinery's Handbook was just a bit out of date.
Mine is the 1941 edition and cost 38 shillings- or £1.90.

Is confession good for the soul?

Do I now confess that I am putting the 1955 Martin Cleeve modifications onto my Myford ML7? Anyone else alive from those days?

Rip Van Winkle

Alistair Hosie
02-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Norman if you get the chance perhaps a birthday pressie or such buy the double volume of machine shop practice books 1 and 2 these are on sale from J and L very reasonably around £25 for both.
With over a thousand pages hope this helps there is a good section on screws and screwcutting.Alistair

Norman Atkinson
02-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Alastair,

Comes the 11th June, I was hoping for something more suitable than a couple of books. A suitably inscribed Zimmer frame and monogrammed incontinence pads would be more suitable to someone who will be getting Free Television. Just think of it, man!
Not having to pay to watch Billy Connolly or Grampian Television.

Fergus O'More
The Long Grey Man of Ben MacDhui.

Paul Alciatore
02-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Norman,

I must confess, I bought the latest edition, with CD, at work (with their money) a year or so ago. It is much updated in many areas but screw threads really didn't change that much. Like I said, they can't and still fit.

Paul A.