IOWOLF
02-17-2005, 08:04 PM
This one ic chi-wan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/toolcutter.jpg
this is the Oliver

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/oliver.jpg

torker
02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Cool grinders! Guess you know that plasma machines + dust = big trouble!
Russ

IOWOLF
02-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, I was aware,The big grinder is on wheels I have to roll it out to the 3ph plug.

torker
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
The first grinder...what all can you sharpen on it? Will it do end mills, reamers etc?

precisionworks
02-17-2005, 08:43 PM
IO, is that a Delta Toolmaker pictured with the plasma axe?

Roverian
02-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Out of interest, what realistic thickness of mild steel can your Lincoln plasma cutter actually cut??? (I know what the brochure says...)

IOWOLF
02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Torker, I can do e-mills, reamers,drillbits,unibits, and prol'y stuff I havent tried yet.

Prec.It could be a copy of one, It is chi-wan.

Rover,I have chiseled away on 1/2" , but it flys through 1/4"on 220v

torker
02-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Rover...what IO says...one thing though, for some reason Lincoln makes two different lengths of nozzles for this machine. They don't cut worth crap with the nozzles that are 1/16" longer. I sent mine in for waurantee repair twice...twice it came back and still wouldn't cut. I finally took the machine back to the dealer so he could shove it somewhere. The Lincoln rep was there and as soon as he heard what it was doing he knew the problem. Went out to his truck and give me a few of the proper length nozzles...now all is well. I've worked the hell out of mine for 5 years now. BTW, the consumables for these are about the cheapest you'll find.
Russ

JCHannum
02-18-2005, 09:43 AM
This is a Delta Toolmaker; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45021&item=3875344060&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have no connection with it. They are a decent machine, especially if you can get all the tooling with them.

precisionworks
02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Jim, appreciate the post. I have a Toolmaker & thought that Iowolf's machine looked similar. The machine on eBay looks really nice & the price is right. The only thing you have to watch for is condition of the ways. Toolmaker uses flat ways with oilers, no "bearings" of any type other than fine metal-to-metal fit. Keep the table ways oiled and they'll go forever, but let some monkey try to run it dry & problems happen. Nice buy at $399 with mag chuck included.

MikeHenry
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
A friend has the later model Delta Toolmaker's Grinder with the enclosed base. IMHO, it makes a better T&C grinder than a surface grinder - scalloping is evident in SG mode. His grinder looks nearly new and I've heard that other owners also see obvious scalloping so it may just be the nature of the tool. It would still be a heck of a lot better than nothing, though.

Mike

JCHannum
02-18-2005, 06:05 PM
The later Delta Toolmakers had flat & V ways, lined with plastic inserts. The plastic does not hold up well. Your friend might want to inspect it, it may be source of scalloping.

The table is small and light. The last one I had had a sub table that swiveled. The added weight may help also. They are T&C grinders after all, and might need a little help to be used as a surface grinder.

precisionworks
02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Had scalloping on mine when I first got it. Had the motor balanced, replaced the v-belt, installed a new rear bearing, lapped the front bronze taper bearing and assembled everything. Front bearing adjustment is pretty touchy, easy to get it a little too loose (not good) or too tight, which binds the spindle. It still isn't a Mitsui-Seiki, but there's not much else in that price range with such a small footprint. And the scallops are gone.

MikeHenry
02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
JC & PW,

Thanks for the feedback - I just copied your info and emailed it off to my friend.

Mike

ttok
02-20-2005, 04:49 PM
IOWOLF - Which do you like better? The Drill Doctor or the Oliver drill pointer? I have the exact Oliver - just wanted to know! Thanks - A.T.

IOWOLF
02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Defenatly the Oliver.