X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricksplace
    • Feb 2005

Hi there from a newbie

I found this board about a week ago. I've been reading and learning and laughing a lot over the last week. Haven't been doing much machining -I fell skiing (downhill) and have a cast on my left arm and a real nasty right shoulder. Not as young as I used to be!

I read back about 160 pages. The thread on the bears really is a classic. So is the thread about the flying broom. I think all he really needs is a three day diet of hot peppers, baked beans, and skunky beer, followed by several packages of exlax.

I have a Canadian built "Moody" lathe. (found a picture of it on one of the threads) 11" swing and four foot bed. Use it mainly for gunsmithing. Now I just do some gunsmithing for myself, and quite a few muzzle brakes. I have learned a few "gunsmith kinks" over the years and will share then with you folks if you think them worthwhile. I make muzzle brakes from scratch without a dividing head. I'm told that they look like the "commercial" brakes you can buy from brownells. I had an old retired machinist show me how the old timers used to use the spline gear on the end of the spindle as an index. With a 32 tooth gear on the spindle, it's easy to get eight rows of equidistant(sp?) holes on the brake.

I've never had formal training as a machinist. Just done a lot of reading, tried and screwed up lots of projects and had the opportunity to learn from a few talented machinists. From what I've read here, there's no shortage of talent among you guys. I wish I knew half of what some of you have forgotten.

I also enjoy photography. I have a traditional black and white darkroom. I shoot everything from 35mm to 4X5. My favourite camera is a 1929 speed graphic. Which reminds me of a funny story...
    I was out shooting some dragon boat races in July with my brother. He's an engineer and truly loves all thing techie. I was shooting the speed graphic. He was shooting his latest toy, a Nikon D100 digital SLR. He's muttering and complaining (he's an engineer -he does that a lot) about his shutter sticking. Me, I'm just banging off one sheet of film at a time. About ten minutes later, he discovers that he has the self timer set with a two second delay. Took him five minutes to figure out how to shut the darn thing off. Took me 10 minutes to stop laughing.

Had a fair number of motocycles too. Never owned a Harley. Ibew -now you're gonna say "then you've never owned a bike!" Never been able to afford one. Had a Lead Wing that I put 50,000 miles on. Also had a 68 650 Lightning BSA. You know the pistons went up and down at the same time on that bugger? Big momma of a counterweight on the crank. My my that thing shook. Had to go around every few weeks and tighten all the little nuts and bolts or parts would fall off. No isolastic (rubbermount) frame in 1968. 55 degree british whitworth thread too. Had to special order all of the nuts and bolts. That old beezumpf made the harleys I've ridden feel like a turbine. Sure was fun though. Ride 50 miles and be deaf and numb when you got there.

I've talked enough. It's quite warm here today (-15C) (I live in northern Ontario, Canada) Guess I'll take my dog Romeo, for a walk. My daughter named him. We adopted him from the pound about a year ago. He was about 9 months old and would hump anything regardless of species or gender, animate or inanimate. He's an Australian Red Heeler (cattle dog) and nuttier than a fruitcake. But that's another story...

Regards,

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricksplace (edited 02-20-2005).]
  • precisionworks
    • Feb 2005

Rick, welcome aboard! You're gonna fit right in - gunsmith, photog, scooters. As someone said, I've spent all my earnings on whiskey, women, and bikes. The rest was wasted.

------------------
    Barry Milton
    Barry Milton

Comment

• Thrud
      • Mar 2001

Welcome to the zoo - if the 400Lb gorilla throws some **** at you, its my way of saying "I care".

So don't get offended by what I say - if you are sensitive about your projects - don't show us because if you do not want to be critiqued - and we often do critisize when you do something "wrong".

Don't take it as an insult, take it in the spirit meant - helping to improve each other. Although there are the odd ass-hat's running around loose - just ignore them...

Comment

• ricksplace
        • Feb 2005

Hi Thrud.

I've read lots of your posts. I can't see anything you've said that would offend me. All criticsm is welcome by me at all times. That's how you learn. Should have heard what my old machinist friend said when I tried my first knurling job. Wasn't pretty. Neither was my knurling job.
        I hope your health is well.

Comment

• G.A. Ewen
          • Mar 2003

Hi Rick,
          My friend Alex will be interested in hearing of another Moody lathe. It would be great if you could post some photos of your guns.

BTW, how did you ever get permits to build guns?
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• ricksplace
            • Feb 2005

Do the arsey empees read these? I don't build guns, I just modify guns that I own. I do have a permit I got from a crackerjack box. I'll try and post a pic of my lathe.

Comment

• bikenut
              • Jan 2003

Welcome Aboard, Smitty
              Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                • Dec 2004

Welcome Rick from another newbie!

The next time your brother is having trouble or acting confused with his D100 just take it from him, turn you back to him and hit the two buttons with green dots next to them for two seconds or longer. That resets the D100 back to factory defaults which is full auto mode! From there he can go back and change various menus to his likeing. It is possible to get that camera so screwed up that it's just about un-operable! Don't hit the two red buttons or you'll be doing the old "two-button-reformat- of his memory card. Then we'll get to see how well two brothers really get along !! I had an old 4x5 too but traded it in for something more stable to stand on when I'm using my D100!!

small gallery at www.raysstuff.com

Ray............
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• Dave Opincarne
                  • Feb 2003

Welcome, watch out for low flying gorila ****e, also known as "monkeyshine"!

So are you using the speed loader/film pack for the Speed Graphic. That will get attention.

Dave

Comment

• Guero
                    • Jan 2003

Welcome aboard, Rick. This is the place to learn all about machining as well as every other subject under the sun.

Comment

• ricksplace
                      • Feb 2005

To Dave Opincarne..

Yup, I use a bagmag for the 4X5 speed graphic. 12 shots. I'm surprised the bunnyhuggers haven't convinced the bureaucrats that I should plug it to 5 shots. Maybe they actually know that it's a camera I'm shooting....

Comment

Hi Rick, Ass-Hat here, LOL

Welcome aboard

Comment

• Paul Gauthier
                          • Mar 2002

"Of all the bbs joints in all the world, you had to walk into ours"
                          Is that close.????

Glad to meet you Rick and Ray. You will find on this site that PICS say more than a thousand words. Waiting to see some of your g'smiting.

Ray some real fine pics at your site.
                          thanks for the link.

------------------
                          Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 02-20-2005).]
                          Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                          X