PDA

View Full Version : Price check (Millermatic 210 and O/A setup)

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get a price check. I'm going to be picking up some new equipment from my local dealer (The first local dealer that I've found that has resonable prices -- I think).

The MIG machine:

New Millermatic 210: $1149.00
80 CF (Q) filled w/75%/25% Argon/Co2: $126.00

My O/A Setup:

New Victor Superrange II: $210.00
80 CF (Q) filled w/Oxygen: $126.00
40 CF (B) filled w/Acetylene $90.00

The 3 bottles are not "new" but are replaced every time I go back and get a refill so I'll get a different bottle every time I go refill it.

I think the price on the Millermatic 210 is great, and the price on the Argon/Co2/Acetylene is good(?). I've seen the Superrange II sell for around $180 w/free shipping on Ebay, but I'll be comming back to the dealer so I guess $210 is ok.

Any comments?

-3Ph

lynnl
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I bought the SuperRangeII outfit off ebay (179 + free shpg) from somewhere in Minn. Included a rosebud. I was happy. I got better deals on 80cf O2 & 75cf Acet bottles here locally than the free shpg from Indianapolis. Those gas bottle prices you list look as good as you're likely to find...or as good as I found at any rate.

As far as supporting the local outlet, you'll be going to them for consummables so they'll be happy with that anyway. Tho that probably is a good point to consider with the Millermatic.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
I bought the SuperRangeII outfit off ebay (179 + free shpg) from somewhere in Minn. Included a rosebud. I was happy. </font>

Yup, That's the exact same unit I saw on Ebay... I should probably just get it off Ebay instead.. What do you guys think a fair dealer price should be? $179 w/free shipping vs. Dealer= $210 + 5% local tax. I'd like to buy it from my dealer at a fair price..

I got better deals on 80cf O2 & 75cf Acet bottles here locally than the free shpg from Indianapolis. Those gas bottle prices you list look as good as you're likely to find...or as good as I found at any rate.
</font>

I saw the Indianapolis bottles on Ebay too... One difference is the bottles I can buy here are not "new", but my dealer would just take the new bottle I gave him and give me a filled "used" bottle in exhange so I don't think buying new bottles makes sence for me anyway... Is this the same with your local dealer (They just exchanged your empty bottles for filled ones)?

As far as supporting the local outlet, you'll be going to them for consummables so they'll be happy with that anyway. Tho that probably is a good point to consider with the Millermatic.
</font>

I think their MM210 price is great ($1149). I don't think I can get it cheaper online anywhere anyway and you're right.. I'll be refilling my Argon/CO2 with them plus wire, tips, etc.

I forgot to ask how much refills will be.. Do you remember what your price(s) are for 80 CF 75/25 (Argon/Co2) and also 80 CF Oxy/40 CF Acetylene? My first fills are free with the bottles.

Thanks,

-3Ph

lynnl
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I think most all supply places these days just swap 'em out with you. Around here, the dealers send 'em off to some central fill station for the actual refilling. I think maybe B'ham or Memphis for this area. So new vs used is a non-issue.

I don't recall the exact prices I was quoted for just the contents (gas), but I think for one of my bottles the local price was less (WITH gas) than the ebay price for an empty bottle. As for the price of the gas, it's really cheaper to have bigger bottles, but I'm kinda space limited, so I went with smaller. But they told me I could upgrade for the difference in cost when I need a refill, so I may upgrade the fuel bottle next time.

I have an odd size argon/co2 bottle for a little 110v mig, and I think I pay over $25 to refill it at the place I bought it. That was a mistake I made out of ignorance. If I'd known the situation and gotten a standard size I could just swap it at any of several outlets, but this size forces me back to that same dealer, and this one they DO refill on site, rather than swap out. When I bought it I was suckered in by the 'best price' appeal.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 02-07-2005).]

lynnl
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
That does look like a good price on the Millermatic 210. I just looked on ebay and that Indianapolis company's price is about 100 bills higher. Does your local deal include the gas hook-up config (solenoid)?

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
That does look like a good price on the Millermatic 210. I just looked on ebay and that Indianapolis company's price is about 100 bills higher. Does your local deal include the gas hook-up config (solenoid)?</font>

The Millermatic 210 comes with the regulator and has a built in dual gas solenoids so I just need to add the tank and I'm all set.

-3Ph

precisionworks
02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I paid less for my 330 CF shielding gas bottles (empty) from HTP America"

http://www.usaweld.com/

Telephone and ask for Steve Holzer. Great guy to work with. 330 CF is their biggest, they have smaller ones also. My local AirGas distributor took "my bottles" in and gave me his filled bottles back. Called it "customer-owned" bottle. Beats the heck out of a lease.

------------------
Barry Milton

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
I paid less for my 330 CF shielding gas bottles (empty) from HTP America"

http://www.usaweld.com/

Telephone and ask for Steve Holzer. Great guy to work with. 330 CF is their biggest, they have smaller ones also. My local AirGas distributor took "my bottles" in and gave me his filled bottles back. Called it "customer-owned" bottle. Beats the heck out of a lease.

</font>

If I sold gas to people that bought my tanks then I would give away 330 CF tanks http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

80 CF is a perfect size for me.. That's about 4 hours of MIG welding which translates into about one year for me.

-3Ph

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 09:53 AM
3 Phase, I also bought an 80CF (in addition to four 330's). Seems like price was about the same for all sizes.

If you lived closer I'd have you help me load & unload the big bottles &lt;LOL&gt;!

------------------
Barry Milton

ibewgypsie
02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I got the big bottle on my mig. I loaded it onto my shoulder, walked up the bank, around the house, through the stairway, to the truck, dumped it over the tailgate of the truck. Returned with the full bottle same way.

Next day I was trying to figure out why my collar bone that had been broken 3 times was sore.

"Old tough guys" are not so tough when old. I should've opened the "big gate" and backed the truck to the bottle. I bet I remember that next time.

Take care of your body.

David

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I bought the SuperRangeII outfit off ebay (179 + free shpg) from somewhere in Minn. Included a rosebud. I was happy. I got better deals on 80cf O2 & 75cf Acet bottles here locally than the free shpg from Indianapolis. Those gas bottle prices you list look as good as you're likely to find...or as good as I found at any rate.

As far as supporting the local outlet, you'll be going to them for consummables so they'll be happy with that anyway. Tho that probably is a good point to consider with the Millermatic.</font>

My dealer wouldn't budge on his $210+ 5% MA Tax price for the Victor Superrange II so I got one on Ebay with free shipping and a free Rosebud for $183.79. This is probably the same one you got too I think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3871471123

I picked up my new Millermatic 210 and the 75/25 Arg/Co2 80CF tank, along with a 80CF Oxy, 40CF Acet tanks today at lunch and dropped them off at home.. Now I just got to find some good wire for my MM210, and some good filler rod for my O/A setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for MIG wire for my new MM210? I'm going to be welding mild steel for awhile.

Also, what's the best mild steel filler rod for my O/A setup? I've used copper coated mild steel rod before, but that's all I've ever tried so I'm not sure if there is anything more suitable now..

-3Ph

-3Ph

Joel
02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
ER70S6 is a good general purpose mig wire, it doesn’t require a perfectly clean surface. Choose diameter based on the thickness you will be welding. .035 diameter will probably be about right.

Gas rod is gas rod as far as I can tell (aside from the copper coating), just get a big assortment. As for brazing rod, I greatly prefer the convenience of a flux covered rod, although I also have lots of bare rods as well.

lynnl
02-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Hmm.. Now that I think about, maybe I paid 183.xx for the Victor outfit too. This was back in December (too far back for my memory). I believe the Indianapolis place had it for 179, but they didn't include the rosebud.

I picked up some filler rod when I bought the gas & bottles. It is copper coated. But professional welder Richard Finch, in his book, recommends staying away from the copper clad stuff. But he also says he just buys it as needed, so it doesn't corrode or get contaminated in any way. I figure my useage will be so small it's probably better to have the copper cladding.

One thing I'm coming to realize tho, is that I probably need some of different sizes. Same for brazing rod. ...by the time I have enough heat to melt the rod (on thin stuff anyway) often a puddle drops out.
And I know that can't possibly be weldor technique! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Shuswap Pat
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I have had a Victor Super range torch for 30 yeares, and it is great. Don't whine about a few dollars difference, buy it and put it to work.

Pat

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shuswap Pat:
I have had a Victor Super range torch for 30 yeares, and it is great. Don't whine about a few dollars difference, buy it and put it to work.

Pat</font>

Yea, I know... It's not a money issue, it's more of a sick game for me. If I already bought it, then I wouldn't care, but I knew the price delta before hand so..

-3Ph

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joel:
ER70S6 is a good general purpose mig wire, it doesn’t require a perfectly clean surface. Choose diameter based on the thickness you will be welding. .035 diameter will probably be about right.

Gas rod is gas rod as far as I can tell (aside from the copper coating), just get a big assortment. As for brazing rod, I greatly prefer the convenience of a flux covered rod, although I also have lots of bare rods as well.</font>

Thanks Joel!

I just noticed the MM210 manual has a table that also specifies ER70S6 wire as you suggested.

I do know that some copper coated wire specifically for TIG sparks alot when you try using it for O/A and if you use the same O/A filler rod for TIG, you'll get little holes. I'm not sure what the difference is, but there is some difference between copper coated mild steel for TIG vs. O/A.

-3Ph

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I also just got a 10 lb package of ER70S2 1/16" x 36" mild steel filler wires for my O/A setup. Does anyone else use ER70S2 for O/A?

-3Ph

precisionworks
02-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Hard to beat ER70S6 as a general purpose MIG wire. I run .035" wire 100% of the time. It welds well from 75 amps to 250 amps. Just hate like hell to change spools, and the .035" is small enough for the thin stuff & big enough for the plate work.

As with any process where filler metal flows across the arc, ventilate well. Inhalation of arc welding fumes is known to cause Parkinson's Disease and other neurologic problems.

------------------
Barry Milton

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-21-2005, 01:18 AM
lynnl,

Did you get a CGA510 Acetylene regulator with your Victor SuperRange II? I have the CGA510 Acetylene regulator but my 40CF Acetylene(B) tank has something else.. Maybe it's a CGA520 connector? Anyway, did you need to get an adapter, or does your Acetylene tank have a CGA510 connector?

-3Ph

JCHannum
02-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Tank connections vary among suppliers. Contact your vendor and tell them what you have, they can furnish an adaptor for a couple of dollars. Some will provide for free if pressed.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-21-2005, 12:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
Tank connections vary among suppliers. Contact your vendor and tell them what you have, they can furnish an adaptor for a couple of dollars. Some will provide for free if pressed. </font>

Thanks, I was just going to buy an adapter off Ebay but I'll go visit the place I bought my Actylene tank from as you suggested. Hopefully he doesn't get upset after putting him into my press http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-3Ph