PDA

View Full Version : OT: computers again

Wayne02
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Been computing for years without any significant spy-ware or virus problems. That all changed about two weeks ago when, despite my best judgment, I clicked on a link that immediately began "downloading components". I knew I was screwed right then. It was over in a matter of seconds.

Things went south right away. Machine slowed to a crawl, browser was taken over, google pop-up blocker was overridden etc. I've been running xp pro, norton for email, ad-aware and spy-bot for spy-ware. So I ran ad-aware and it found 14 or so issues which I deleted. This helped only a little, machine still slow, browser still had a mind of its own etc. Ran spy-bot and it found another 12 or so issues which I deleted. Still no joy, machine slow, pop-ups etc.

Out of desperation I downloaded the ms spy-ware beta and it found about 16 items, several of them in the mega serious threat category, or whatever its called. Whala! Everything is back to normal. Set ms spy-ware to run at 2am every night and get regular updates.

It will go for a couple days without reporting any items but it's been finding several items every few days. One that keeps showing up regularly is the "Adstatus KipSoft Remote Access Trojan" this is listed as a super mega threat and of course I delete it each morning it shows up.

I'm not sure if I get this thing by visiting websites during the day or if it is on my hd and is some sort of time release deal (if there is such a thing). I'm not sure how else to track it down, other than maybe recording the sites I visit each day and see if it shows up the next morning. I visit maybe 6 or so sites each day and none of them have reported any problems or have any sort of pop-ups etc.

Anybody heard of this issue?

BTW, I'm on dsl behind a router.

Wayne

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Once you download and execute someone elses malicious code on your Windows Box, the game is over. Doesn't matter what kind of virus protection you have.

I suggest you do the following:

#1: Re-install Windows XP.
#2: Go to Microsofts update site and update everything.
#3: Create yourself a non-admin account in Windows XP for you to use and surf the web with. Make sure you put a password on this non-admin account, and make sure there is also a password for the admin account.
#4: NEVER use the admin account unless your installing new software or hardware.
#5: NEVER use IE with the admin account except for downloading/updating windows from microsoft.com.
#6: Always use your non-admin account.
#5: If you do run into problems, logout and create another non-admin account. Delete the old account. This will completely reset the state of your machine.

-3Ph