PDA

View Full Version : familiar with #4 W&S???

gunsmith
02-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I have just gotten a #4 Warner & Swasey this past year and it is all set up and running now. Fantastic machine. It came with a taper attachment. I have the books for the machine but for the life of me I can not figure out how you disconect the cross slide to allow the slide to follow the angle of the taper attachment. Any help out there? The book I have is not clear on how to do this or maybe I am just not understanding what has been printed.

charlie coghill
02-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Gunsmith look at the cross slide and see if there is a screw or bolt that holds the cross slide screw nut to the cross slide. If so this screw will have to be removed to free the cross slide and let it follow the taper attachment.
Charlie

garyphansen
02-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I think that the first answer will prove correct. If it doesn't let me know, a friend of mine ran a W.S. for years and I could ask him for you. Gary P. Hansen

gunsmith
02-20-2005, 07:12 PM
That's the screw I have been looking for. If it exists it's not in the usual places. I suspect on this machine there is some other way to disiconnect the cross slide other than by a screw???

garyphansen
02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Gunsmith: Can't you just remove the cross slide nut? Gary P. Hansen

MJMIKE
02-21-2005, 02:01 AM
I was a Service Engineer for Warner & Swasey but did not work much on the small stuff, mainly CNC's and 4A & 5A turret lathes. On the large machines the cross screw is anchored to a cross slide thrust bearing on the taper attachment. The screw has a telescoping joint so the threaded part of the screw can move endways without the dial and handcrank moving. To use it you just clamped the taper attachment and as the carriage moved left or right the threaded part of the screw moves in or out to follow the taper dragging the slide along with it. In some cases where you were not trying to cut a taper you could have a size change if the taper attachment slide moved left or right on the guide bar. We always told operators to park the taper attachment on zero if they were not using it to avoid this problem. I do not know if the #4 is made the same way or not. W/S was usually fairly consistent on how something worked on different size machines. Remembering more as I write, I am thinking about the saddle cross slide on a 5A, the side carriage hangs on the front way, it may be different.

------------------
Mike

MJMIKE
02-21-2005, 11:20 AM
To simplify the above - clamp the taper attachment to the rod, dial in some taper, crank the carriage left and right, the cross slide should move in and out. The dial won't change. I have been away from this for awhile, it takes time to pull up memories.

------------------
Mike

gunsmith
02-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow morning. Just a note. I do own a couple of other machines plus a 9" SB. The others are off shore models. My mill is a U.S. made Cincinnati and I should have known from it but I am so amazed at the quality of this #4 as compared to the off shore units. I only bought it because of the new 12" chuck it had, but when I started working on it the quality and ability of the machine became apparent. This machine is a definite prize of the first order. Thanks for the help.