PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the L&S 16" lathe home

KPLugnut
02-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Well, a 14 hour round trip (3 hours to get there unloaded), 1 broken trailer axle, and another severely bent, and we got the monster at least sitting outside our shop last night at 11:30pm.
It should prove a VERY nice addition to our suite of capabilities, but WOW is that thing heavy! It's in really good shape (dirty, tho) and was originally from the Buffalo Forge in Buffalo, NY (a few miles from where we picked it up).
Did I mention it snows a LOT in Buffalo? LOL!

In the near future, I'll try getting some pictures.

Looking forward to the learning curve!

KP

precisionworks
02-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Eager to see the pics...that has to be a Big Dog!

KPLugnut
02-21-2005, 07:31 AM
It's virtually TOO big for my needs. Our LARGE forklift would barely lift it enough to skid the "hurt" trailer out from under it, and now we're realizing the available space in our shop doesn't match the space this monster needs to occupy....UGH...talk about biting off more than I can chew....
Story of my life here, guys...it's like the adult version of "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" when kids take more food at the buffet than they can eat... LOL!

Anyone wanna trade for a smaller model? I was able to determine (I think) that this is a "model #35" from the ID plate on the front, and it's got almost ALL the original instructional signage and plates still intact and readable, too.

Currently, the thing is sitting OUTSIDE under a very tight wrap of tarps, up on blocks, so it's safe, and it's so well oil'd (read as "coated with grease and way oil") that it's in no danger of any rust problems.

Gotta go build some trailer axles today...

KP

[This message has been edited by KPLugnut (edited 02-21-2005).]

garyphansen
02-21-2005, 08:07 AM
I hate it when that happens! Gary P. Hansen

gunsmith
02-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I like the feeling you have just after you get home and it's in the drive. You get out of the truck and realize you made it. I know, I did the same with my #4 W&S this past summer including a bent axle and ground to powder bearing. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif