PDA

View Full Version : Nova midi chuck

Paul Gauthier
02-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I am also into wooodworking and just yesterday I was at the Woodcraft store (after the gun show in the same area) and I got a chuck for my Delta Midi lathe. It is a Nova made by Teknatool in Auckland, New Zealand. The chuck it self is a finely made piece of equipment, it is a four jaw unit and I can detect no backlash in the scroll.
It has two piece jaws and this is where I find fault. The top jaws were not deburred at all. Every edge was just one big burr, took me over an hour to deburr the four jaws. It may seem like I am griping about a lot of work, I am not, what galls me is that they let jaws out of the factory like that. The actual working surfaces of the jaws are all ground and that appears to be excellent work. Those burrs just bug me. I took some pics but my camara dosen't do it well enough to see the burrs. But note those of the chuck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Nova%20midi%20chuck/Novamidechuck009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Nova%20midi%20chuck/Novamidechuck010.jpg

Link www.teknatool.com (http://www.teknatool.com)
------------------
Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 02-20-2005).]

wierdscience
02-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Ya,you would think they would invest or even build a tumbler http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

What is that yellow stuff on the thread interface of the screw center?Just junk,or a braze joint?

Let me know how you like it,always wanted one myself.

franco
02-21-2005, 04:44 AM
Weird,

I was given a new Nova chuck a couple of years ago in return for respoking a set of wheels for a 1912 Overland car. I am reasonably happy with it. No burrs on mine. The makers say they should be within 0.1 mm (.0039 in.)face runout, and 0.13 mm (0.005 in.) radial runout. Mine is slightly outside both these limits, which surprised me a bit, but is still OK for woodturning. I thought my woodlathe spindle might have been the problem, and made a 3MT adapter so I can use it in the metal lathes if necessary (though I hate turning wood on these), but the runout was the same.

They can be supplied with a very wide selection of spindle threads - mine is 1" x 10 TPI (1" BSF), which is common on wood lathes here, and there are also a number of special jaw designs available for special jobs.

Although I've never used one, I think if I was buying a new chuck, I would look at the Supernova chuck, which uses a key like a normal metalworking chuck rather than the two levers used to tighten the Nova - I find with the two lever system you almost need a third hand to support the workpiece sometimes - a bit awkward, but you get used to it.

Regards, franco

Paul Gauthier
02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Wierd
It is just some of the oil used for rust prevention.

------------------
Paul G.

wierdscience
02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Just how stable are the internal dovetail jaws?Is that setup capable for roughing out bowls?I have never used one so I have nothing to relate to.I usually lag screw through a backplate,the dovetail setup looks like it would save some setup time.

franco
02-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Weird,

I've done very little bowl turning with mine, but the dovetail jaws seem to give a very secure grip.

Nova's recommended procedure for turning a bowl is to mount the rough blank upside down on the screw shown in Paul's photo, which has very good holding power, and turn the outside shape first so the workpiece is reasonably well balanced, and then cut the dovetail for the jaws. The bowl blank is then turned over and mounted using the dovetail recess to machine the inside. Maximum bowl or platter depth recommended for the standard 50mm jaws holding in the dovetail recess is 4 inches. Diameters up to 12" can be turned using the standard jaws. Maximum recommended speed for the dovetail-held workpiece is 600 RPM. If more work on the outside of the bowl is needed after turning the inside, Cole jaws are available to hold the bowl by the rim.

Regards, franco