PDA

View Full Version : For insurance purposes

charlie coghill
02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Several years I built a custom 338 Win. rifle and gave it to my Son for Xmas. He lives in Namapa Id. A couple of weeks ago thieves broke into his home and stole this rifle along with a Remington 870 20 gage shotgun and a winchester 22 lever action rifle.

This 338 Win. rifle was made up of a MCmillin medium weight barrel, a brown precision fiberglass stock and a Rugar Model 77 action. The metal work was electro-less nichol plated. The stock was painted with a camafloged brown and green paint. For the pattern I used black barry leaves. I did not stamp the caliber on the barrel either.

The question is What would it cost to have this rifle built now days? I have gotten away from working on firearms and don't have an idea what the cost would be now.
Thanks all
Charlie.

precisionworks
02-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Looks like about $600 for the action:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12672&title=RUGER+MARK+II+BARRELED+ACTIONS

About $425 for the stock:
http://www.brownprecision.com/BrownPre-FinishStocks.htm

Probably $200-$250 for the barrel + a gunsmiths labor charge + electroless nickel plate. Gonna push two grand.

------------------
Barry Milton

charlie coghill
02-21-2005, 10:13 PM
When I built the rifle(about 1984) I figured that if I had had it custom built it would have cost around $1200.
Charlie
PS thanks for the links.

[This message has been edited by charlie coghill (edited 02-21-2005).]

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Geeze.. You bought a nice action.

I like the old mauser 98 large ring bolt actions.

Yeah, I figure about 1200 materiels, about 2-400 labor for the one rifle.

I'd circulate the picture around the pawn shops in the area. Post a reward and you are more likely to get a response from a "almost" honest dealer.

I sold off most my collection when I determined Since I was traveling lots, Rogues would get the investment I had in them.

My Old harley I had 18 years? Three times I interuppted people stealing it. People thought it was "special" since it was always running and seen all over the place.. They didn't see the doing without beer and food to buy parts. And that is something you don't brag about.

David

(I hate thieves)

precisionworks
02-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Nothing lower than a thief or a cheat.

IOWOLF
02-22-2005, 07:34 AM
You must Hate the U.S. government,then.

precisionworks
02-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Only the IRS, ATFD, EPA, and any other agency that wants to limit my rights & freedom.