PDA

View Full Version : 5C COLLETS, CLUTCH, EXPANDING, ETC...

INTERPOLATE
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Greetings group.
Where is the best price to buy this type of stuff for my collet closer? Best prices etc?
Is there a difference between LYNDEX, EAGLE ROCK, and ROYAL???
Thanks guys.
JD

nheng
02-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Hardinge makes the best 5C collets, hands down. Royal is probably second (there are others). Just bought a half dozen new Lyndex several months ago and while it's only aesthetic, the end faces are poorly finished, highly faceted. Hardinge makes them look like crap.

If you get into square or hex 5C collets, there isn't that much difference between $35 for Hardinge or $27 for Lyndex in $$ but there sure is in quality. Den

Spin Doctor
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
While the 5C system does have its faults, limited +/- capacity one of them the thing it has over the ER series of collets is the expansion collets, the oversize collet or pot chucks, emergency collets and all the rest of the tricks the 5C has up its sleeve. For just regular collets as long as the job doesn't require super precision then ebay is probably the cheapest place to go. For used Hardinge manufactured it most certainly is for most of us. For some of the more esortoric items in the 5C system like pot chucks the Royal versions might be better as they do not require the special closer ring that a Hardinge version does. But a hardinge will hold better as it using a larger diameter taper

Thrud
02-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Hardinge, Royal, Lyndex Precison, Lyndex regular. Top 4 in order. Lowest cost I have found to be Lyndex, then Hardinge, lastly Royal. Hardinge invented them - the C stands for the Cataract Falls behind their plant in NY - they also have the widest selection of round, shaped, endmill holders, expanding, dead length, and potchucks.

spope14
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Clutch colletts are the larger colletts - say 2" to 3 inch, I have up to 3 1/2" diameter by 1 to 2 inch thick colletts. They are of a softer steel and meant for boring out to hold larger diameters, thin wall tube of larger diameters, very thin pieces, or for milling special shapes in for holding. I have gone through the "brand thing" with these items, but in the end, for the clutch colletts buy the least expensive item available. You will hold tolerance becaue of the boring process, and the keyway in the collett adaptor holding position consistent. In the school shop and in my personal work I probably go through five to ten of these a year (both combined). Do not lose the bore pin, and when using "cluth colletts", I have found it vital to lightly turn the largest OD before using. All manufacturers now just use a rough OD, thus balance for holding .0001 dims is an issue.

Emergency colletts, soft bore colletts, those nylon colletts - same thing. You are boring them, so the cost difference between Hardinge and a mid level collett is not worth the increase just to brag on name.

Lyndex make a very good expanding collett. These are also a "custom turn" item, so what you may want to look for there is the quality of the closing mechanism - plungers - such on and so forth. Lyndex has been pretty simple and "student proof".

For your hardened colletts - the normal things we use - go with the best you can afford and the best recommended on this board - sometimes the best is not always the most expensive. My personal set of colletts is Royal, and the school uses these primarily as well. Hardinge is also of the highest quality. I got Royal through the bid process of Hardinge being a bit more costly, but I have no complaints whatsoever. Would suggest them both.

SGW
02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
One thing to consider when buying -- you don't need every size. I see absolutely no point in getting any of the 64ths, or any of the 32nds beyond 7/32. Probably none of the 16ths beyond 9/16. If, in the future, you find a compelling need for a 29/64" collet you can always buy one. But don't think you need to buy a "complete set." Most of them you'll never use.

I think it's much more to the point to buy GOOD collets (Hardinge, Royal) in the sizes you'll actually use.

andypullen
02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Hardinge collets are quite simply the best. I have bought dozens over the years in various jobs I've held. One place I worked used hardened internal collets alot. We would grind the rubber tires for elevator wheels mounted on a Hardinge collet. We always got great service from Hardinge. I would have the specials within 2 weeks and the off the shelf items within 3 days.

I have several Lyndex hex collets and have found them to have more runout than the Hardinges. Royals, too. My South Bend lathe came with a set of collets marked as "South Bend". They are made in Germany and are as good as the Hardinges.

You will pay more for Hardinge, but the quality is just so much better. I will echo SGW and say get them in 1/16" increments up to 5/8" and 1/8" above that. With 1/32" increments below 1/4". Buy what you need as you need it. Get a couple Hardinge emergency collets as well. You won't be sorry you did.

Andy Pullen

INTERPOLATE
02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I bought a variety of collets to experiment with on a couple of upcoming jobs.
QUESTION: Is it normal for that back 1.250" register in the inside of the collet nose (ROYAL, A2-5)to be so touchy with various collets? What I have found is that some of the expanding collets and one clutch collet have a body dia. of 1.2501. This small variation will cause it to not go into the nose all the way. The other which have diameters 1.2498-1.2499 will go in nice.
Should this internal register on the nose be like this close if collets are going to vary???
Thanks,
JD