PDA

View Full Version : older Boxford lathe questions

andy_b
02-22-2005, 04:17 PM
a gent near me is selling a bunch of tools to make room for newer equipment. one item is a 10" Boxford with the vari-speed mechanical drive. any tips on what to check for wear or some typical problem areas with the lathes? i think he's asking $1k. i've never priced one so i have no idea what they go for lately. i'm going to look at it tomorrow so i should have a model number and description by tomorrow night.

andy b.

pistonskirt
02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Andy

If the machine is a VSL500 it is the best featured of the Boxford range of manual lathes, it has L00 spindle with 1-3/8" bore which is considerably larger than most other 10" lathes, they are very tidy & user friendly machines and my VSL is one of the last machines I would part with. In the UK they seem fairly scarce & dont fetch particularly high prices (£1500 for a mint one with accesories maybe), most likely because they were all 3 phase & not too easy to change to a single phase motor.
Mechanically I have never had a problem with any of my Boxfords, they are not paticularly quiet running lathes especially when the lead screw is engaged, but that is just the nature of the design.
The spindle drive belt can be replaced with a linked type belt most satisfactorly in less than an hour, the main drive belt takes a little longer & replacements are available but "to order" from most belt suppliers, if it wont make full speed on the tacho the main drive belt is probably badly worn on its side faces.
L00 stuff is hard to find used & therefore expensive so 3 jaw, 4 jaw & faceplate would be a major plus.

Good luck

regards

Brian

Rich Carlstedt
02-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a AUD model which is a underdrive (step pulley)
10"--- 1960's
Love it. It is a sweet Lathe
Not sure of your model, but most all SouthBend attachments will fit.
I added a SB taper Attachment and a SB steady rest.
i have had SB's and this is a better lathe