PDA

View Full Version : Heidey Shaper

Frank Ford
02-23-2005, 05:31 PM
I've been talking to a fellow who wants to unload a shaper. Time is tight for me right now and I haven't actually decided to go to look at it, but it is eating at me.

He described it as being spelled "Heidey," which I suppose means "Hendley," and he said it was made in "Washington, Wisconsin, or was that Washington, Connecticut?"

It's four feet high, about 1500 lbs. of iron, and needs about 30" x 30" floor space, which would be a very tight squeeze for me. Good working order, he says, and complete, but no motor, tool holder or vise.

His asking price is so low ($200) that it seems like a small courtesy payment at best. On the phone, he seems like a fine honest guy, and it turned out we have at least one old friend in common. Honestly, I'm afraid if I go to see it I'll end up with it in my garage.

Is something like this:

1. a cool tool that I'll learn to use and be glad I have?
2. the sort of thing I'll get running only to see gather dust?
3. such a great deal that I should jump at it even if I see no immediate use for it and barely have room to cram it in?

hoffman
02-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Could be a Hendey.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/hendeyshaper/index.html
As far as shapers go 1500 lbs would be a smaller one. I have a little one and like fooling with it. Once the milling machine is running I'm not sure how much running it'll see. I'm in the process of fitting it to do internal keyways and that'll probably be it's job.
I didn't really have room for mine either http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

precisionworks
02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Frank,

Big or small, it's a nice machine to have in the shop. My milling machine ALWAYS has the wrong vise mounted, never fails. The shaper has only one vise, and 95% of my shaper work is vise-held. So "small jobs" (that would take longer to set up in the mill) go right to the shaper. Tooling is inexpensive, easily ground from Mo-Max square stock. And I've never cried if I chipped a shopmade tool, can't say that about solid carbide.

Not a replacement for a milling machine, but a really nice companion.

------------------
Barry Milton