PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Alba Shaper?

Stanko
02-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Are they any good ? I bought a little one today I think it is a 7 or 10 inch .It will be delivered in the next few days. Needs a bit of love but with a coat of paint things usually come up nice "Dulux Overhaul" ill post a pic when I can

Charles Ping
02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Used to have one - nice little machine. Related by birth to the Royal shaper (it's predecessor) and the Elliott 10M (the final fling). They made Alba 1A's for years. Some all cast iron and some with aluminium bases that are *much* easier to move!

Regards

Charles

speedy
02-22-2005, 04:06 AM
Hi ya Stanko, how's life?
I can't speak personally about the Alba but Paul has one, an Alba 1A, which he uses solely for cutting keyways and splines. It does the job day in and day out apparently.
He may have some info on it. Email me if you want his contact number.

cheers, ken

mmambro
02-22-2005, 07:41 AM
I have an Alba 1A mounted on a cast iron base. I'm not sure when mine got to the States, but judging from the paint job it has been around the block several times. It has a 10 inch stroke. The ways for the table show partially worn machining marks. I think the table was trued up "in situ" as it is dead on by my 0.0005" indicator, in both front to back and left to right directions.

I had to do some work to free up the much abused head bearings which would allows the head to be angled/rotated on the ram relative to the table. Getting the head off was not intuitive, especially since mine was "jambed on solid" from dry oil and abuse. Once the head is free to rotate, it must be inverted 180 degrees so that it can be removed from the ram. I also had to install a missing spring on the clutch handle assemble to get the clutch working. I find the clutch a very handy feature as I cut my machine tool teeth on a Myford Super 7B.

I was lucky enough to get my Alba with the Alba vise and swivel base.

I have yet to dismantle it to determine why I can't change gears.

I love the relaxing sound it makes when its running. Don't be mislead though, it does pack a whole lot of power. DO NOT PLAY CHICKEN WITH THE RAM. Stop the ram before clearing chips!!!

I have a photocopy of the manual somewhere, but it is of little to no use. It seems as though the manufacturer figured that they had to print something, so they put the manual together. They seem to assume that the owner knows how to use it. There are books available from Lindsay Publications.

May I be of any specific help?

Mike

[This message has been edited by mmambro (edited 02-22-2005).]

thistle
02-22-2005, 02:51 PM
i have one - its prehistoric -but still a nice machine.

its in the middle of an over haul at the moment poor old thing was looking very old and dirty.

should imagine that the one you have is a 10 inch stroke.

I think that www.lathes.co.uk (http://www.lathes.co.uk) probably has a manual for it .

vmil3
02-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Pete Verbree has an Alba 1A I think he is a member of this site,shapeaholic is his handle. To see his Alba check out his site
www.angelfire.com/sc3/shapeaholic/index.html (http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/shapeaholic/index.html)

------------------
Doug

Stanko
02-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the encouragment and links Pete Verbree's site is great.
It arrived today and only took about 15 minutes to get it going, just had to add a powercord and drizzle with extravirgin oil.
Its missing the little feed handle on the toolslide thing and the bull wheel has a bit broken out of the T slot.
It needs councelling but we are on our way to a better life.
I got this from a machinery dealer, he delivered it, gave me a $50 3 phase plug for it and was great about the whole thing. Ill take the camera to work tomorrow and take a picture

matador
02-23-2005, 01:14 AM
mike,isn't that the one Scotts had sitting around for a couple of years?if not,it's an identical colour repaint.oddly enough,they now have a 10"Stankoimport shaper for sale.$2500!no thanks http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

------------------
Hans

Stanko
02-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Hi Hans,
I saw the Stankoimport one at Scotts, it looked too angry for me. Actually quite a beast. I got mine from Heal Machinery. As usual once i get an idea in my head I have to either forget it or do it now. This all started a couple of weeks ago when there was one advertised in the paper. I rung him and it sounded too big, I waited a few days and thought Id better get it , when I rang back he'd sold it. Scotts told me to have a look at Heals -- the rest is history. Have a look at the pics tomorrow and se if you recognise it.

Mike

shapeaholic
02-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Hello Stanko!
I think you will enjoy the Alba 1a shaper.
Nice simple rugged machine.
Do you have a manual?
If not send me an email and I will send you a copy.

Did you get the vise?
I have a replica Logan shaper vise on mine and it fits like it was designed to be there.

Cheers
Pete Verbree

Stanko
02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Here it is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/cowboy/Dsc01571.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/cowboy/Dsc01572.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/cowboy/Dsc01573.jpg

I didnt get a vice with it but Ive got a pretty nuggety milling vice to use on it. as you can see it needs a bit of attention. Im pretty happy.
Shapeaholic Ill send you an email tonight

mike

zl1byz
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Nice machine Mike! I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Ops looks like someone did a job on the front of the box. Guess they don't usually get to be old machines and not have a battle scar or two.

John.

precisionworks
02-23-2005, 11:55 PM
There's a lot of similarity between your Alba & my Atlas 7-B -- the vertical & horizontal adjustment of the table, the mounting of the ram, etc.

If anyone knows where an Alba cast iron base is, I'd love to have one for my Atlas. My stand is wimpy (but it was thrown in with the machine).

speedy
02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Great purchase Mike! I like the "wasp" tail,is it ex Works?

cheers, Ken

vmil3
02-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Ok Shaper People,
Go back to the pic's above, "go on look" just under the key seating bar, look on the clapper. You will see the head of an allen head cap screw, this screw is "only" used when cutting internal key ways, splines or knurling(yes knurling with a shaper).I did use the cap screw on ocasion when mounting a Dumore grinder to the clapper. The cap screw is removed for regular shaping. "REMEMBER THIS"
On some smaller machines they have one or two set screws on the side of the clapper box through to lock the clapper.

As a previous poster has requested to know more about slotting (cutting key ways and splines) on his new machine, I will attempt to describe the procedure hopefully with some pic's of tool bars, tool bits, vice setup, key way layout, BUT not tonight Ok, it's 3:20am here, two finger typing is not 60 words a minute, for me anyway!

I will start a new post for this in a few days, "remember the allen head cap screw"!

"Oh", yes, nice little shaper Stanko, I am sure if you search Pete's (Shapeaholic) site you will see his excellent repair/rebuild of his Alba 1a and very detailed. Seeing the pic's of the 32" G&E on Ebay brought back some good memories, she even had a rapid traverse cross head, nice when squaring up the vise.

------------------
Doug