PDA

View Full Version : Brideport Shaper Attachment

RAD1
02-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi, I've been considering buying some sort of machine to cut square holes up to 3/4 to 1inch. Other than drilling and broaching with broaches and an arbor press, it seem's
that a shaper may be the ticket. I have limited space in my shop and am thinking about buying a bridgeport shaper attachment. does anyone have any information or opinions about this attachment.What is the max stroke, how wide of a cut can it take, how will it work on AR400 etc... Obviously I'll still have to drill a hole first.

Thanks for any info.

John Stevenson
02-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Nine pages in all, just keep changing the number on the end 1 thru 9.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2002_retired_files/Bridgy_slotting_head_pg1.jpg

John S.

Paul Gauthier
02-21-2005, 07:13 PM
IIRC the stroke is adjustable from 1/8" to 4" in 1/8" increments. It has eight speeds in strokes per minute. Right now it is too cold to go out the shop and list them. I am not familiar with the material you mentioned but I am betting with a properly ground tool it should do just fine.

------------------
Paul G.

.RC.
02-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Are these slotting heads for bridgeports and their clones any good???? I have been thinking of getting one for my bridgeport clone if I can find a cheap one...

It has the lug out the back of the ram where it attaches...

Ian B
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Ringer,

The ones I've seen advertised are all expensive ($600 seems a common price). Also, they mostly still have the original scraping marks on the reciprocating slide, which tells me they don't get a lot of use.

Maybe not applicable in Rad's case due to a restricted size shop, but why not consider buying a shaping machine? A lot cheaper, and it'll do much more than just make holes.

Ian

RAD1
02-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks alot for the information. It looks like that just may be what I'm looking for. thanks for the link, it was really helpful.I'll let you know how well one works when I come across one.I see some on E-bay, but I'm hesitant to order anything so pticey from there due to all the negative comments I'm saying posted about E-bay.

RAD1