PDA

View Full Version : Military Needs A Few Good Batteries in Iraq

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Quote off my local news.

Military Needs A Few Good Batteries
Angela Lee
It wasn't too long ago a member of the 278th, put Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfield on the spot about the lack of armor.
Now, there is another soldier who says, something as simple as a battery is becoming harder to come by.
Sergeant John Bennett, with the 278th, returned home earlier this week to be with his family for 15 day leave.
In a recent NewsChannel9 interview, Bennett mentioned a need for batteries for lasers and lights used by troops in night operations.
NewsChannel9 caught up with this soldier Saturday.
He says, “You have a lot quicker time to take care of business than doing it without the lasers.”
When NewsChannel9 first spoke to 278th Sergeant, he said, there is at least one area of NEED he's concerned about.
Sergeant Bennett says, “Well, we have some batteries, but not enough. We have AA's, C's and D batteries. Just normal batteries but these batteries are special.”
What makes these batteries so special?
This weekend, Chattanooga Police Department's Sergeant Mark Haskins.
is instructing a gun permit class at Sportsman's Supply in Hixson.
As a learning tool, a laser handgun simulator is used to train those seeking permits.
Sergeant Haskins says both the police and the military use this as a training device so they can practice accuracy without using live rounds.
He explains, “But they have to line up the sights correctly. They have to pull the trigger and then it shows us where it's hitting.”
He adds, the use of a laser helps with speed.
So, the person aiming the weapon can use the laser as a targeting guide.
Pointing the laser on target, Haskins says, “That's where the bullet's are supposed to hit. It's a lot quicker to line up than a conventional sight.”
Haskins explains, “They'll still have sights on the gun, but the laser makes it a lot quicker. They have to look out at the laser rather than having to line up a front and rear shot and put it on their target.”
Sergeant Bennett couldn't agree more since he says the lasers come in handy during night operations in Iraq.
Since Bennett's interview first aired an anonymous donor has donated 30 batteries to help the 278th.
Bennett says the battery donation is reassuring.
He says, they will be put to good use, but won't last long because they use them a lot.
When he returns to Iraq March 3rd, Bennett says he hopes to have one battery for each member of his unit.
In doing a little research, NewsChannel9 found these batteries are about three dollars a piece and can be found in most electronics section of office supplies.
If you want to help these guys out, here's the Serial number of the battery used: ENERGIZER – ECR2032BP
You can mail those directly overseas to the troops and Sergeant Bennett says he'll distribute them to his unit.

Direct the packages to:
SGT. John H. Bennett
D – Btry 1/278th RCT
APO – AE - 09374

IOWOLF
02-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Can I get a guarantee that if I send a batt. It will help kill a "radical" raghead?

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
IO, pretty much guarantee that it'll make one of "our" kids feel better.

If you have never had a laser on a weapon before it pretty much makes it like squirting a water hose.

I have been battling with paypal since I posted it. THEY SAY no GERMAN characters allowed in shipping to address. I am not a rich man but was going to send a pack of batteries.

David

cncboss6
02-20-2005, 07:35 PM
I will send some batteries out tomorrow. I am truly greatful for what these boys are doing, and anything I can do to make their life easier is a given. Thankyou to our military personal. Pat

.RC.
02-20-2005, 09:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
Can I get a guarantee that if I send a batt. It will help kill a "radical" raghead?</font>

Who knows...probably the same chance of it killing a civilian or another US soldier...

Stanko
02-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Are we sure this is not a scam? Imagine 50 or 100 tons of batteries arriving in this guys office.
Why dont they use rechargable ones like Lithium ion ones.

Is this a plot by the energiser bunny to increase sales?

wierdscience
02-20-2005, 09:50 PM
At three bucks a wack,I'll bet they are rechargeable,bought some AA today,$3.99 for 12.

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 10:54 PM
&lt;CHEAP&gt;.. I paid less than a buck a piece off ebay.. Just that rotten paypal won't let me enter his military address. I got a email into the seller.

David {I told you I was a cheap SOB}

wierdscience
02-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Dave let me know how it works out,I and more than a couple guys at work will throw in for a case.

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 09:35 AM
The 128th is from a Small town north of me about five miles. Ringgold Georgia, Marriage capital of the south. I got married there three times. It also used to the be the speedtrap of the south, I have had the majority of my tickets there.

I am stil awaiting a email reply. NO clue what is up with paypal, it says I am not allowed to use german characters in my address. NO, I am not, just military address listed above, Perhaps one of the computer gurus can tell me what I am doing wrong. I got them won on ebay with a buy-it-now. Seems it was $10 total shipping and all for a package.

Geeze, nothing has been easy lately . It has rained so much I wanna build a ark. I poured some concrete next to my house for a porch, of course it forces water up inside the livingroom. I thought.... I had it smoothed down lower than the house..
The nightmare of home addition-remodeling continues. Of Course Carrol wants new carpet and a repaint. and the new part ain't done yet.. and I am still only one guy. One carpenter, one moron with a checkbook.

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Problem with Paypal? I was cut and pasting the address into the "ship to block" special instructions..

Retype it and all is well.. It worked.. I did pay more than I remembered last night. 7.99 for a pack of batteries and 3.99 for shipping.

Sometimes you can't see the problem for the frustration in front of your eyes. I wanted to smash the keyboard, hit the monitor, throw a temper tantrum like a 4year old. But I didn't..

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
{Note: Just why Lurkers don't join our group here confuses me.}

I read your post about the need for batteries in Iraq (I haven't ever taken the time to register on the Machinist Board--we have been a bit busy the last year or so-(that's why the direct e-mail)--I'm a Viet Nam Vet (66-68) and have a daughter that returned from Iraq recently) She was with an Army Reseve MP unit that was at BIAP (Abu Grab Prison--No, not with the Maryland unit thank God) ANY WAY, You might mention to anyone that she and her unit had serious problems getting batteries of any kind. I went to a local Energizer Company and explained the problem to those KIND folks. We received about 500 batteries and had to promise NOT to tell anyone where they came from. We sent them direct to her regular mail (Energizer even had their Shipping and Receiving Dept. box them up) I really wish the folks at Energizer would take some credit for what the did--they are really nice people---Lee---P.S. (BIAP---Baghdad Internation Airport) SUPPORT THE KIDS EVEN IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!

Evan
02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I find it slightly suspicious that the sargent is assigned to D Battery.

John Stevenson
02-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Not as suspicious as if he was assigned to AA Battery

IOWOLF
02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
I did some research today and it seems that of the 4 local guys i talked to, one recently come home from Iraq, anyway none can think of a laser or any light or sight used on military weapons that uses a cr 2032 or any wafer type batts. Not that it maters.

ibewgypsie
02-22-2005, 08:43 PM
IO:

the outfit is based local to here. (Ringgold Georgia) There was a big hub-dub when Donald Rumsfield was put on a spot by one of the "boys". He was asking about armor for thier humvees. The soldier was prompted by a reporter. I bet he got "reamed" out for it by his commanders. It's not good planning to upset the commander in chiefs right hand man.

I have three laser sights and two laser pointers and for some reason most all use the 2032 battery. Bsquare uses a camera battery. It is much better, but the batteries are about $8 each. It is a stack of lithium cells like the 2032.

I tease my dog with the one I bought for my mill. I have had him dig a hole about a foot deep trying to get the red dot.

I don't doubt the guys have the lasers on thier weapons, now, who provided them is the next question.

My first weapon laser sight (86?) was about 18" long, a real laser tube, rows of AA batteries down both sides. Batteries lasted only about 15 minutes. The laser leds today are much lighter and easier to "point". The original laser tubes were bump sensitive and broke easily.

David

speedy
02-23-2005, 05:45 AM
Can someone tell me; if a laser sight allows me to sight a target, then does it not also mean that the target can see my position?

just a thought, Ken

IOWOLF
02-23-2005, 06:49 AM
As it was explained to me the US is over there to train and support and will not shoot unless shot at, so they know where you are .

David, what brand of laser?Just so I can prove it to the so called experts.

ibewgypsie
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
IO: Tell your experts they can kiss my arse.
Our kids are over there, if they had told me they had a shortage of Condoms to screw the Iraqi women to stop STD's I would have sent some.

I feel the same way for our counties volunteer fire department. They have been across the street twice trying to save the guys house. It has caught fire twice now. He is cashing in all his valuables, the house caught fire. Someone told me he has AIds, I ain't asking.

Can the enemy see a laser, yes, if you wave it around. Seems the American military policia have gone to IR/ non visible light lasers, wearing night vision goggles to see, each USA-Swat-Nazi policeman has a flashing ir LED on his shoulder to "show" he is a friendly. I figure our "kids over there" have the cheapest thing money can buy thou. (Reference to Nazi is only because of thier tactics and the helmets they wear)

Some mind wrenching questions:

Question 1, for the expert, Just why has our Homeland protection force been activated and sent out on active duty?

Question 2, What are we, as Americans going to do in case of a local National emergency?

Question 3, Why are the "terms" of enlistment been extended-revoked for several of my friends kids?

Question 4, Why is OUR COUNTRY not taking care of the grievously injured RESERVE soldiers coming back home. They don't even get a check, they have to "sue" social security.

Even thou I feel we are fighting someone else's agenda by attacking a foreign country, I support the kids who are over there bleeding and "scared, and running on adrenalin"

I gotta nail up some sheathing on the new porch, rain is on the way. Sometimes I wish I was in Iraq instead of here doing carpentry work. Damn the MOsquitos, Damn buds coming out on my peach tree, stinking heavy arsed sheathing. Birds are flying south, why? ain't it still winter? I got bird crap on everything.

madman
02-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Flashing LED on his shoulder. LOL HaHA thats like saying gee shoot me just look at the flashing light. No wonder no one wants to be a policeman over there. Im amazed at the mass stupidity. Most canadians from the north can shoot the eye out of a squirrel at a respectable distance now if that squirrel had a flashing led light on his head besides laughing at him I would shoot him from an even further distance. Whats going on dave with these stupid dumb ass things like flashing led s fastened to people. Is this there way of getting rid of them. Oh dont worry no ome but us will be able to see those flashing led s now go out there at night and patrol the streets. If it wasnt for the young and the dumb there wouldnt be too many people in the armed forces a retired army ranger colonel told me years ago.

Evan
02-23-2005, 11:36 AM
It's a flashing infrared LED madman. You need night vision gear to see it. They also have them on the tips of the rotor blades on the helicopters.

speedy
02-24-2005, 01:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
As it was explained to me the US is over there to train and support and will not shoot unless shot at, so they know where you are .

David, what brand of laser?Just so I can prove it to the so called experts.</font>

So the poor bast**ds are sitting ducks?
The conquaring peacekeepers, what a cock-up to be in!! Don't you just love politicians?

I dearly hope that my American cousins look after your returning servicemen and women a hell of a lot better than the Vietnam Vets ever were.
Take good care of your young men and women soldiers!!

Ken

IOWOLF
02-24-2005, 07:20 AM
David I'll not get into a pissing match with you over a pack of batterys, what you say is true.

That being said, I have a question for any one than can answer it(to my satisfaction)....Why is it that the US can have control (mostly)of an Oil produceing country and still have to pay $2.00 per gallon for gas?

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Funny, according to one site I was at recently gasoline is $0.32 a gallon in Mexico.

It is, because we'll pay it. SUCKERS.. I got cheap transportation. (Well a 4.0)

David

Duct Taper
02-24-2005, 09:51 AM
IO, it's because just being in control doesn't mean we are stealing their oil. We have to pay for it the same as the Russians, French, and Germans have to pay.

IOWOLF
02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
FUNNY I DIDN'T see any of there boys and girls over there,Dieing.

Duct Taper
02-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, but just because our troops are over their dying doesn't mean we get to rape the country. The oil is being sold to many countries to help rebuild Iraq, we are just one of them.

We just have to not forget the troops and what they need, like batteries. Private donations always seem to get to where they are needed a lot quicker than going through government channels.

IOWOLF
02-24-2005, 11:03 AM
hey **** THE RAG HEADS, I put them all in the same catagory.Can any one prove to me they didn't have some part in the 9/11 bombings.

'Scuse my french.

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
IO:

I had it explained to me by a old retired Marine. He was true, stomped the ground and tried to hurt it when he walked. Wore his hardhat like a helmet. (yes he had the bulldog tattoo) HA..

We go in, Give them running water, electricity, McDonalds hamburgers, TOILET PAPER instead of thier HAND, And a general better way of life, You'll have to kill the ENLIGHTENED ones before they'll go back to thier primitive religious "Kill all US Heathens" way. (OHH the virgins await you in heaven)

I was mad, working next to this guy at 9/11. I was so mad seeing the kids, seeing the people dance around celebrating when the towers collapsed. He explained it all to me in just about them terms. Now I see method, just not immediate results.

Putting Our minds on our soldiers?
Imagine being trained to "WAR" tactics, use of your weapons and assault, building bunkers, then being "made" to police a bunch of unruly confused, illiterate, Religious fanatics moving from building to building, using Swat type clearing tactics unfamiliar to you.

OUR soliders are.

IOWOLF
02-24-2005, 05:30 PM
OK, YOU WIN.