View Full Version : Gentlemen...Start Your Engines

topct
02-20-2005, 10:57 AM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Gene

torker
02-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm assuming you are a NASCAR fan....We are also.
Russ

Wayne02
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Even though I road race, I'm a big nascar fan as well. Looks like JG did it again. Not a terribly big fan of restrictor plate "racing", but it sure provides the entertainment for the fans.

One thing that always cracks me up about the drivers interviews is no matter where they finish, the car is almost always great. "The #22 quakerstate, machinist.com, jack daniels, blah blah blah was running great today!" "The crew kept working on it and we ran strong all day". Umm, hello? You finished in 28th place!

Matt Kenseth did it today as well. He blew a motor about 20 laps in. Connecting rod or some sort of major engine component. I don't remember the exact quote but it was something like, "yeah, the engine blew a connecting rod or something. We've got a great engine program. The car was very fast." Great engine program???? Your freaking engine blew up 15 minutes into the race!

Oh well, it's all in good fun.

Wayne

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Ohh you mean the exhibition put on by RICH PEOPLE running sheetmetal around a track that resembles cars produced en masse?

ON, tubular frame/rollcage chassis, special FORD 9" rear axles in everything out there including the chevrolets, Using engines that have never saw a comsumer vehicle. Special coolers mounted for rear axles, oil, special cooling units for oil. Special Fuel cells are used for the carrying of special racing gasoline, even a bungee cord used to stay the G-force upon the specially fitted racing helmet on the Nomex fabric wrapped race driver. Actually the sheetmetal is not from a factory vehicle, only shaped like it.

At least you didn't say "STOCK CAR" racing.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
I don like it. I like the sounds, don like the methods or changes done to the cars. Should be factory cars running around the track there.

Let em go down to the dealership and buy one 12 hours before the race. You'd see some racing then..

jburstein
02-20-2005, 09:31 PM
David--I agree. I think they should try to return them to the dealers when they're done too. Tires and all. Now THAT would be entertainment.

-Justin

Spin Doctor
02-20-2005, 09:50 PM
NASCAR is most likely the best racing series of all the high buck circuits out there. It's fast, it's competive, it has passing. Something that a lot of other types of racing don't seem to have. Even back in the '60s and '70s the cars were no where stock. Does Smokey Yunicks 7/8ths Chevy ring a bell. But burns my ass end about NASCAR it that Toyota wants to run a truck in the Craftsman Series when they do not even build a production engine that meets any of the criteria. Fine make a custom one and run it. But Chrysler brings out a new Hemi and its get that POS out a here. We won't let it run. Seems similair to what happened at Indy with the turbine. In a similair note the SoCal Timing Organization, the group that runs Bonneville IIRC, recently banned turbine cars from going for the wheel drive LSR. Hey horsepower is horsepower. I don't care if it comes from a recip piston, turbine, steam or ten billion butterfly farts

wierdscience
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Caught the last four laps,Jeff Gordon once again.

I am boycotting thou,I HATE RESTRICTER PLATES!!!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

wierdscience
02-20-2005, 10:59 PM
DDP!

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 02-20-2005).]

topct
02-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I just wish they would explain the cars a little more. I would assume the magazines get into all the details of what makes it possible to make an engine that size, breathe well enough through four holes smaller than Davids little finger, to push a car 200 mph.

It has gotten quite expensive alright. It's the safety thing. At 200, the forces in a crash are massive. Without the special chassis, tires, restraints and the engineering that go into them, it would be instant death out there.

------------------
Gene

Rustybolt
02-21-2005, 10:11 AM
All left hand turns, right? I'm with Dave. It was a lot more interesting when there was unlimited car modifications.

Now it's just s bunch of the same cars going round in circles. Boring.

shawnspeed
02-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Ibew, Yes there is actual production sheetmetal in a NASCAR stockcar, the hood, roof/ w sailpanel and trunk deck lid w/inner are mandatory. The front suspension components are all aftermarket components that are copies of early '70 chevy caprice/camaro components. Upper contol arms, lower control arms ball joints are all early '70 pass car components.many of these componets would BOLT ON WITH NO MODIFICATION, to an early '70's front clip. As for the rear suspension , yes they are 9" Fords, but the race parts are commonly avalable and used in all forms of motorsport including road racing and drag racing, and the truck arms suspension is right off a 1970 Chevy 1/2 ton P/U with coil sping suspension. Many low budget ARCA teams use the stock replacement part(truck Arm ) because it is cheap, and very strong. So are there racing/ specialty parts , Heck yes, lots of them , but there are more production based parts in Nascar than in most Racing Series out there. Ya ever se an INDY car part on a street car?I don't think so...OH and about the Chevy motors, The block most of the teams use is produced on the same tooling as the factory 4 bolt main truck block pre-gen 2 motors.It is cast fro a high nickel casting and is avalible at you Chevy dealer, Its known as a Bowtie block, the heads are special, but so are the Dodge and Ford. A gentleman I crewed for in the Arca supercar series (ARCA Re-Max now) Did use production 2 bolt pass-car blocks up fitted with splayed 4-bolt mains to run close to 700 HP and netted us a few top 10 finishes in ARCA on a shoe string.It still can be done, Try that in some other forms of motorsports. Specialazation is going to happen in any series, but NASCAR does a pretty good job at controlling the technology. Rant done.

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Shawn?

And what production car are all these parts sold on at once, today, at the dealership? What model?
Being able to get myself a jato unit does not mean I am using a factory component.

Going fast is a art, why not bring a "pylon racer" airplane out there to lap these "specialty race vehicles" it has as much in common with production automobiles as the current crops of Nascar does. Now that'd be competetion. You could bolt the top, and trunkline onto the plane body to stay within "specially configured rules"

YES, by the way, they are biased toward GM in the rules and restrictor plates. 70s parts.. ha, have you looked at a calendar lately? Available my chevy dealer? what model vehicle?

Racing was started as a developmental process to promote "vehicle" sales. The current crop of nascar vehicles and the mindless people who think cause a certain brand "wins" and that they can go down and purchase a vehicle at a dealership that will replicate.

SAMEold SameOld. The civilian Humvee is not identical to the military model in performance and capabilities either.

Gee.. Is the American public stupid or what?

HURRAH, Lets turn on some PRO WRESTLING.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 02-21-2005).]

ibewgypsie
02-21-2005, 05:01 PM
I got one of them old 1972 4 bolt 350 engines.
Apart at the moment. Been in 7 different vehicles now. The 77 monza Spyder/5speed iroc tranny broke the valve springs. It went 160mph in a 64 El Camino (a real car). In a 73 Gt Vega it'd smoke the tires for about sixty feet "after" you let off the pedal. Was in a 69 Camaro (column shift powerglide/w vega torque convertor) a 59 impala 2 door sedan delivery, a 1957 chevy truck 4 speed rigged on the column, a 1972 Nova w/350 auto. (burned my eyebrows off on that one)

I love chevys.. but that Ain't Chevys them Nascar guys are racin.

Rex
02-21-2005, 05:04 PM
I watch NASCAR twice a year - Sears Point and Watkins Glen. That's the only time we see real racing take place http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
I've always said that NASCAR is the Pro Wrestling of the automotive world.
I'll take SCCA Touring Cars or even Grand-Am.

Al Messer
02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Humphf! I can remember when a guy with a '32 Ford with a '48 Mercury engine, or a '28 Chevrolet with a GMC truck engine, was the top dawg! How times have changed!!

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-21-2005, 06:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Going fast is a art, why not bring a "pylon racer" airplane out there to lap these "specialty race vehicles" it has as much in common with production automobiles as the current crops of Nascar does. </font>

Hehe, I used to have a pylon racer with a Nelson racing engine and WOT intake.
It turned around 25k on the ground, and god knows how fast when unloading it in a dive. It had very thin wings, and very thin fuse.. Almost no drag. The last time I flew it, a tiny little bit of flutter developed in the elevator and I immediatly lost the elevator control surface.. WHAM.. I had to dig the engine out of the ground -- it was a good 8 inches below ground level. Also just as funny was I found the 4.8v rx battery INSIDE the fuel tank..

-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 02-21-2005).]

bernie l
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Gentlemen-
I can see this thread going on for a long, long time as people feel pretty passionate about their favorite form of racing. I used to watch NASCAR pretty regularly, but kind of got away from it. First off, during the warm months I've got better things to be doing on a Sunday afternoon then sitting for 3 or 4 hours watching cars go in circles. Second, the big tracks, Daytona, Talladega, etc are pretty much cars lining up and going in a circle trying not crash and racing the last few laps. (I do like to watch the short tracks sometimes though). I went to a race once (Vegas) and it was okay but the average fan can't have any interaction with the drivers or crews, the normal paying fan is kept well away from them. And it ain't cheap, that was 5 years ago and I think moderately good tickets were $75. I tend to agree with Rex, in the last couple of years it's taken on sort of rasling atmosphere. I understand people having their favorite drivers, but people that throw crap onto the track (or any sporting arena), outght to be promptly kicked out and not allowed back in.

I watch 2 types of racing pretty regularly, drag racing and dirt track. I love to watch the locals at the nearby 1/3 mile high bank dirt track race a couple different classes of stock car, and winged sprint cars. I see a lot more racing in a 25 lap A main sprint car race then I do in 200 laps of NASCAR. It's pretty hard to beat a summer evening at the dirt track with a cold beer watching sprint cars race and the girls in between races, (I'm a simple man) Once a year the USAC midgets come through and put on a hell'va show, if you've never watched midget on dirt you got do it. At least once a year, sometimes twice, I go to a NHRA drag race. The nearest track is Topeka, a buddy and I go down on Friday morning, set-up camp and watch racing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Sometimes the wife will drive down Sunday. What I really like about it the access you have to the pit areas, about the only place off limits to the normal fan is the track. You can wander the pits all day if you like. Watch the crews tear down their cars and put them back together etc. During the day as racing is going on they may not have a lot of time to talk, but in the afternoon or evening after racing for the day is over, it's usually pretty easy to talk to them or the guys on the crew. I can't think of any other racing form where the national pros and the local or regional amateurs race on the same track the same days. A lot of the sportsmen racers have got some pretty trick stuff, and lots of old muscle cars. For three days of racing I'll probably pay $120, but there's a lot of racing to see. Give it a try, there's 23 events in a season, scattered out pretty much across the country, where I live is probably the worst place for going to races, but I've never been disappointed or felt I didn't get my moneies worth.

Take care

BillH
02-21-2005, 07:32 PM
I think nascar is the most boring automotive sport in the world. Only 2 road courses? Mostly turning just left, speed plate restrictors, every car is soo close that the races are always very close, last few laps is like the first 400 or how many they do.
Do people watch it for the crashes?
I like rally and indy/formula 1.

IOWOLF
02-21-2005, 07:36 PM
AS FAR as I am concerned It can stop now.hell I dont even know why I looked at this post. and still don't.

wierdscience
02-21-2005, 11:33 PM
". The civilian Humvee is not identical to the military model in performance and capabilities either."

Hehehehe..Dave,round here we call them "Square Blazers" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Suckers,it don't even wiegh as much as a real Hummer http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

madman
02-22-2005, 11:55 AM
They got more money than brains. Just like drag racing most money usually wins.

shawnspeed
02-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I give up, you win, all the parts are not sold on the same vehicle but neither are any other racing series, even the SCCA classes allow a certain swapping of parts between model and year. The sheetmetal production parts required by NASCAR are for the model year being raced. I.E. '05 Monte has '05 Hood ,Roof, and decklid. Wether you like it or not, NASCAR has done more for auto racing in general than any other form of racing in the US. nuf said

Allan Waterfall
02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
. The last time I flew it, a tiny little bit of flutter developed in the elevator and I immediatly lost the elevator control surface.. WHAM.. I had to dig the engine out of the ground -- it was a good 8 inches below ground level. Also just as funny was I found the 4.8v rx battery INSIDE the fuel tank..
-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 02-21-2005).]</font>

Pylon racing is for fliers who can't do right hand circuits. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

That elevator flutter sure is a plane killer.I once bought a finished model and wondered what the noise was,someone said it was tailplane flutter. In my ignorance I decided to ignore it.Another model rekitted.

Small boy....."Mister,how many times do they crash?"
Answer....."Once usually"

Allan

ibewgypsie
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Shawn:

I agree they have promoted a "sport" type of racing people can identify with. The people see a piece of sheetmetal going around the track that "kinda" looks familiar. Lots of people enjoy it. Kinda bores me. Since the 70's.. I have crawled under, around the Nascar "extra" cars they put on display.

Don't call them "stock cars" or stock car racing and I am happy. I got kinda burned up talking to a local about that. I extended the argument here, I apologize to you.

I love racing, love the sounds of a tuned engine, love the G-forces put on my body going around corners. (can't afford it thou)

The local dirt track has more racing then I see on a Nascar event I think. The guys when they spin on the dirt you can see them looking over thier shoulder trying to steer clear backwards away from the retaining wall. They know a "solid" hit will take them out for months without a sponsor.
Wedges, Sprint cars, ohh la laa.. I have walked the pits, looking, helping when I could for free. I got a good ear for tuning.
Ain't nothing like the smell of 106 octane burning a little rich. I ran it in my 4-bolt-350 when I could. It is kinda pricy.. now right at 4.20 a gallon. I tried making my own, but it ain't the same. (2 stroke oil)

I got excited when the Sport cars came about 1/4 midgets running suzuki engines. I thought I could go racing. Then, I discovered the base ticket (7k$) gets you a base car, like everything else it takes wads of money or wads of ingenuity.
I'd like to build one of them for the street.

I see racing as a money pit. Street racing is too. So is custom Harleys, So are pretty little redheaded girls with big hooters. If I only had a few bushels of money I'd go racing.

David

jackb
02-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Gypsy,
They may still call it a stock car racing series but those of us who have been around racing long enough know it is really a "silohuette series". The cars are just made to resemble street cars. As for your last statement about money; I whole heartedly agree, especially when it comes to redheads! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Lew Hartswick
02-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm with , (was it rustybold /) that had the
comment about left turn. The only four wheel
racing worth while is Formula 1 . I just skimed
the posts to see if any other folks had the
same opinion. Can hardly wait for the start of
this season, no that I found the Speed Channel
carries them live. My first one was the US at
Sebring in, I think, '59 Now that's racing.
...lew...

Spin Doctor
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
You want to talk about boring racing let's talk about Formula 1, at least they do have the cars stopping for fuel now as they finally figured out that a car with 1/2 a tank of gas goes faster than one a full tank. But I love the sheer technical tour de force that F1 represents. I long for the days on the late 60s early 70s Trans Amm and Can-Am series. Standing at turn 5 at Road America getting blasted by Denny Hulme pushing his MacLaren with a 7+ liter big block up the hill to turn 6. Mark Donahue dueling with Parnelli Jones in his Camaro or Javelin vs Jone's Mustang. Donahue zooming down hill into five braking like a SOB while trying to hold the RPMS up on his tubo Porsche 917, the Shadows with their rediculous small wheels and paper thin bodies. That was real racing

wierdscience
02-22-2005, 10:37 PM
My preference is to Indy racing,open wheels,ground breaking engines that ACTUALLY end up being production units later on,plus I really love it when a piston engine sounds like an air motor http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Rustybolt
02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Quite some time ago I saw a race on TV it was in England. They were racing mini coopers. But not on any old track. They were racing in the mud in the Thames estuary at low tide. THAT looked like fun.
Little bitty car, modified any way you wanted and run balls to the wall.

BillB
02-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Saw a fully prepped mini (a 1275, the real one) at an autocross years ago. The guy had removed the central speedo panel, and 2 velocity stacks on a giant Weber carb were poking through the instrument panel. Would have been very entertaining to see it backfire through the carb during a run....

I like right turns, too, but any racing is better than no racing. I'll give NASCAR one thing, they really know how to do LOUD better than any other circuit racing I've heard. Still, I think the sweetest big-bore V8 sounds I ever heard were the 427 Cobras winding up down the mile long back straight at VIR.

BillB

bernie l
02-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Bill-
For pure loud nothing, I mean nothing beats a nitro dragster or funny car. It's funny to go to pit area when the teams are firing up their cars to seat the clutches. They put'm up on stands, start the engine and let it idle a little bit. Then either the driver or a crewman who's in the car stabs the throttle and everyone nearby jumps at the same time. Depending on the wind they may also be leaving, burning nitro is not fun to be around, eyes water, throat burns the whole deal. At least you can see it, it's kind of a mustard colored yellow cloud.

take care
Bernie

pete913
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
I watch Nascar sometimes, hell anythings better than football or golf, but calling these things a "stock" car is pretty funny really. Think I'll go over to the Chevy dealer today and tell 'em I want a rear wheel drive Monte Carlo lol. At least the nascar guys aren't butchering, and I do mean butchering, old classics like steel bodied '32 Fords and stuff like that into hot rods. That outta be a class A felony in my opinion.

pistonskirt
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Whats the difference between Formula 1 & the Olympics ?

One starts with a procession & ends in a flurry of activity.
The other starts with a flurry of activity & ends in a procession. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

regards

Brian

shawnspeed
02-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Gypse, No apology needed , just good debate. I will whole hartedly agree , 'lil redheads with big hooters( first wife)are just as expensive as the toys. Still paying, 4 more years and the cheap payments to the ex stop, and the ones to the college begin. At least I will be under 45 yrs. old by the time the daughter graduates college,so maybe that front engined dragser isn't out of reach yet. In the mean time, I stick to crewing for underfunded ARCA, USAR Hooters cup teams. Go Racing on someone elses dime. Altho a harley project may be in the future, A couple of designers here at work would like me to build some frames for a series of bikes this summer. We will see.

jackb
02-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Spindoctor,
Its not often I see someone refer to Road America. You must be a mid-westerner. I spent many a fine (and some rainy and uncomfortably hot) summer weekend at RA. Watching the race cars during the day and chasing little girlies during the nights. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Some of my finest memories. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-23-2005, 03:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bernie l:

Bill-
For pure loud nothing, I mean nothing beats a nitro dragster or funny car. It's funny to go to pit area when the teams are firing up their cars to seat the clutches. They put'm up on stands, start the engine and let it idle a little bit. Then either the driver or a crewman who's in the car stabs the throttle and everyone nearby jumps at the same time. Depending on the wind they may also be leaving, burning nitro is not fun to be around, eyes water, throat burns the whole deal. At least you can see it, it's kind of a mustard colored yellow cloud.

take care
Bernie</font>

I love the smell of nitro in the morning http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-3Ph

shawnspeed
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Ilove the smell of Nitro anytime!

J Tiers
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I have two options for them......

1)
Move up north, and do ice racing

2)
Change over to an old style figure 8 track.

bernie l
02-23-2005, 06:22 PM
j-
I went to my first figure 8 race last summer, not much of a race in the traditional sense, but I laughed my ass off, sort of like a demo derby. A buddy went with me and we took is 5 yr old son, he was cracked up most of the time, he called it a "basharena"

bernie

Michael Moore
02-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Watching other people race has never had much appeal for me. Unless I'm racing, I generally have no desire to go to the track and watch other people having fun.

Car racing would probably be fun to do, but seeing it is pretty tedious compared to watching motorcycles. But then I don't tend to watch any of the other races when I'm at the track either, unless a friend is out and I want to get a photo or two for them.

I've also never understood the attraction that stick/ball etc sports have for so many people. Ya'll are welcome to my share of them.

cheers,
Michael

rimfireshooter
02-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,
Well living in Charlotte NC. for the last three years, I am surrounded by racing. Of course NASCAR but also everything from dirt track stuff to SCCA. I have a few friends that work for DEI, Roush and BAM racing, and knowing what goes on with their teams, I have a real appreciation for the technology and the amount of work that goes in to making a car that only turns left. But if you want to talk about stock car racing, there is nothing closer to that than the WRC. 10 minuets from my house is a wrx sti sitting on the lot for like 34 grand. The only thing that car needs to be race ready is a roll cage. Then they race these cars night or day, rain or shine (snow as well) on real roads in real towns. The only problem here is, rallying has not taken off in the US. So a lot of people don’t get to see how great this racing is. It is also the only major world auto sport that you can buy the car you saw at the race and drive it home. At least that I am aware of. Isn’t funny, when I am on the web I hardly ever see anyone admit the fact that they watch NASCAR. So how do they give away 1.5 million to the Daytona 500 winner? Sponsors are paying for this and they are not doing it for the fun of it. So somewhere there is at least a couple of people watching all of these cars make left hand turns.

------------------
Dean's7x10 mini lathe page
http://members.aol.com/vwone/myhomepage/profile.html

ibewgypsie
02-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I had the misfortune of working up in Carolina a few years ago. The town Dillon sticks in my head, not sure what Nascar track that is close to.

I pulled in, barely got a room, They had rented to State patrol policemen to enforce the Nascar event. State patrol cars lined both sides of the motel. Them buttholes kept me up all night drinking and raising hell. I got up once when gunfire erupted next to my motel room, going to the door with my blackhawk 44. After the cussing I gave I was wondering if I would ever get out of that lil craphole of a town alive.
Now them state police, when they have "fun" they get lots of mileage.

I missed the races, I got to work on some chemical mixing equipment.

What's that old 4bolt main 350 worth these days? it is still standard bore. Crank needs turning thou. I did the heads, they are the crappy low compression heads (462's?) with LArge ports. Needs Trw pop ups. It'd not come up really fast but made good horsepower on top when it got there. I got the cam outa it.. I had a isky 468 split duration in there. Ain't nothing like a chevy running 8000 rpm .. slings altenator belts off like crazy.. Funny.. I never figured out why. I was always going to purchase the "slow down deep pulleys to correct that one flaw". The light car (monza) and the Iroc 5 speed got the valve springs. I got Sig erson Valve springs in there now and Manley stainless valves.
I am planning on putting it into the 23 home-made C-cab 3phase got me started on building again. Adrenalin junkie?

David

wierdscience
02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

What's that old 4bolt main 350 worth these days?
David</font>

Here pulled out of the red clay mud and washed off with a garden hose about $350 for a good block,any extras like a truck crank,or heaven help us a steel crank and it can hit $750+ quick,needing ALL machine work and usually a starter lug put back on.

Wayne02
02-24-2005, 12:25 AM
These guys have too much fun... Ice racing Chevettes. Download (save target as) the video from this page. What a riot!
http://www.chevettesonice.ca/Photosandvideos.htm

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 12:46 AM
This was on the satellite recently, if you didn't see it, you missed a great race:

http://www.swampbuggy.com/history.htm

J Tiers
02-24-2005, 01:28 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael Moore:
\

I've also never understood the attraction that stick/ball etc sports have for so many people. Ya'll are welcome to my share of them.

cheers,
Michael</font>

It generally depends if you ever played the sport before. If you grew up on baseball and the game we call "soccer", you'd watch them as I do.
Basketball I consider a waste of good hardwood flooring.

Arcane
02-24-2005, 01:59 AM
If you can`t keep fanbelts on at high speed, try a different brand of belt. There is a certain, very well known brand name out there that is only good for the hauler. This is one small thing we learned years ago at the track and we keep seeing new guys having the same trouble... they switch brands and the touble goes away. Our team has won the local Street Stock championship for the past five years straight. Built the car in my garage, btw.

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Arcane:
Gates, goes ring da ding da ding and the lil red lite comes on. I used to use them a lot, they died first time you hit the pedal hard. There was one brand w/blue stripe it'd hold in there a bit. Just loosen and sling off but not shred.

350 has Steel crank (thick forged web), good rods and had a good oil pump. I had the bright ideal to pull the lil pin on the melling oil pump and stretch the spring and put a washer under it. Put the pin back.. it split oil filters right and left. Ruined a good cloyes double roller chain timing set. (stretched) Trucks used to get the "good stuff".
I had a 350 bus motor, bored it 30 over, poured water in, didn't get it cranked, left town for the weekend, it froze, it had water then antifreeze poured in but didn't mix. I put the steel crank/new bearings over into a 305, The guy I gave the 4bolt 350 to sleeved it and went on to win several modified trophies with it. Ever time I'd mention I took out the steel crank he'd want to poke me in the eye.
Bus was a one ton mini-bus that would set you back into the seat. Got 5-6 mpg.
I raised the hood on a old 69 dump truck 366? BB tall block w/dual quads from factory.. Ohh lal laa..

Jaymo
02-25-2005, 12:47 AM
Hell, rally racing has more in common with NASCAR's roots than NASCAR currently does.
A bunch of crazy bastards running balls out on dirt roads(trails?) all hours of day or night in all kinds of weather. I have to admit to liking rally racing.
Don't give a rat's arse about ball sports.
Except racquetball. Don't much care to watch. Just really like playing it. Not any good, but I have a lot of fun with it. Or, at least, I did when I actually got to play it.

Joel
02-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah, rally racing kicks butt. Ever seen canal racing (boats with roll bars http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif)? Those guys are completely nuts!