PDA

View Full Version : how would you do this?????

burnlast
02-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Here is a casting for my 1/2 scale Peerless traction engine.I have to put a slot .265 wide,.375 from centerline to centerline and goes through 4.75 in.I was thinking about having it wire edm'ed. but it is cost prohibitive.Also I don't know if cast iron burns real well with all the Impurities that could possibily be in it.All of my dealings with wire EDM has been with tool steel.Here is some pics to help clarify what I'm tring to do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/burnlast/slot2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/burnlast/slot.jpg

C. Tate
02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Drill through for clearence. Ream ends and make slotted bushings to press in. Would this work?

rockrat
02-24-2005, 09:09 PM
If the slot has a radius of 0.1325 (0.265/2) on the end and the centerline distance you note is the centerline between the holes; you could drill the 2 holes, 0.375 apart, thread a 1/8 bandsaw blade through the hole, weld the blade up, and saw out the middle. Unless I have mis-understood your description. Might have to file a little to get it all nice on the inside.

A boss once told me, nothing is impossible for the guy that does not have to do the work. How true this saying is. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 02-24-2005).]

wierdscience
02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Look for an extended length endmill,I have seen them with 2"+ usable length in that size range.You could mill some registers on the casting to use for location and endmill it from both sides.

SGW
02-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Would you give a little more detail as to where that hole has to go in the casting? I don't understand from your description exactly what you need to do.

Do you need what amounts to a sort-of ellipitcal hole through the length of what looks like the "handle" part of the casting?

What's the purpose of the hole, i.e. how exact to size does it need to be?

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 02-25-2005).]