PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Scope Rings

ACF
02-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I have a set of Kelbly's rings, but they are to high, and are not made in a lower height. My plan is to make a set similar, but at a lower height. I want to make the double wide ones and you can check these out at www.kelbly.com (http://www.kelbly.com) . Kelbly's are made from 2024 AL. and after seeing what Mcmaster wants for 2024 I checked on that fortal AL. which I could get a lot cheaper. If I understand correctly, this is stronger and harder than the 2024, and therefore would be a suitable material. Is this correct?

There is a 0.020 in. slot between the dovetail to allow the ring to be tightened onto the dovetail base. Jewelers and screw slotting round blades are available at this thickness, but are only used for shallow cuts according to the MSC book. Straight tooth or staggered tooth slitting saws are recomended for deeper depths of cut but aren't available less than 1/16 thick. These are the blades with teeth on the sides of the blade. Is it possible to use a 1/32 screw slotting saw and cut to a depth of say 0.5 in. in this fortal material or must you use the other type of saw? If its possible to use a screw slotting blade at this depth I could also use it to split the one inch ring in half for the scope. Before I go out and buy anything I wanted to run this by my friends here that have way more experience than I.

So whatcha think???

Chris

dsergison
02-23-2005, 03:45 PM
slot away. no problem. I've run .012 at 3/4" deep

[This message has been edited by dsergison (edited 02-23-2005).]

precisionworks
02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Just make sure the setup is rigid & the SFM is correct for the diameter. Tiny teeth, feed slowly.

ibewgypsie
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Non-perfect circular scope rings can ruin a good scope.

Not sure I'd try to make a set as cheap as they are. I mean I bought three sets of Weaver and Burris at a gun show for about $12 a set.

Flat top Ar-15's and large bell scopes were my biatch a few months ago. I bought a assortment. Getting it as LOW as possible but still clearing a 56mm bell.

flatlander
02-24-2005, 01:28 AM
There's nothing cheap about Kelbly rings - they're priced at over $70 a set for the single-screw model, and over $80/set for double screw rings in an old 2002 Sinclair catalog. And, if you've got a Stolle Panda action from Kelbly's, AFAIK, they're the only rings that'll fit the Panda's propriatery dovetail rail. My concern would be sizing them so that they will hold the scope tube securely, yet not clamp down on it so much as to partially collapse the tube.

rws
02-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Nimbus makes rings to fit the Stolle dovetail as well as SGY Rifles makes them in stainless. The Nimbus has a different/better clamping configuration. And they're a tad cheaper. Come to think of it, Hall makes rings too that fit the dovetail. That dovetail has become a standard of sorts with benchrest guns. But, aside from a Stolle or Stiller, you can get different bases so you can use a standard Weaver style ring.

ACF
02-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I did some measuring on the Kelbly rings and it looks like they made the ID 0.998 in. and then used a saw about 1/32 wide and slit them in half. If you overtighten the scews you could definitely do some damage to the scope.

rws,
I've not heard of Nimbus, do you have any contact info? I thnk most of these rings are to high, similar to the Kelbly's rings, but I'll take another look because CRS (can't remember sh*t) is setting in.

Chris

dsergison
02-24-2005, 09:35 AM
I have read that you should make them a little undersize. mount them on the gun, and "line bore" them. not that you can really line bore them easily then, but you can take a dowel wrapped in a sheet of sandpaper and sort of lap it to round /straight. that ought to keep you from tweaking your scope.

rws
02-25-2005, 08:56 AM
ACF,
I would assume they are about the same height as the Kelbly rings. They are made by JDK. I don't have a contact for them, but if you go to benchrestcentral.com, you can find a source.

It is standard practice to lap the scope rings after they are mounted on the bases/gun. A 1" (or 30mm) steel bar is used with lapping compound, stroked until an even surface is present. No more ring marks on scopes. It's amazing how far off some ring/bases can be!

ACF
02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks rws, I found their website. Their rings are 1/8 in. higher than Kelbly's and made from 6061. I'm going to attempt to make them - need a project to work on.

Chris