PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD

IOWOLF
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
My HSM came today, in the same pack was a smithy catalog disguised as a "Step by step machining guide"

I guess nothing is sacred.

rockrat
02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Well I guess if a copy of Smithy keeps the subscription rate of my HSM from going up (IE, maybe Smithy paid for all of the postage on this issue of HSM?) and they dont try to print the "Smithy" portion in the HSM (reduction in the number of informative articles), I can throw the extra part away pretty easy. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif It can go out with the plastic wrapper, which I do like. Keeps the mailman from opening the crisp and freshly printed pages.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 02-22-2005).]

JCHannum
02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
I thought you liked advertising.

IOWOLF
02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
ROCK,you could be correct about the postage, and perhaps the Vilage press may have used that new printer to print 'em.

Cute JC, but I was just trying to be funny then.

wierdscience
02-22-2005, 09:39 PM
OMG is right!I forgot to renew my subscription!!!!!!!!!!Panic!!!!!!!!!

ACF
02-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey JC, after reading the owner wisdom sales pitch on page 41 I'm going to sell my sheldon and get that BZ-239. If you want a good lathe maybe you ought to sell that sheldon you have. Once you have that new BZ-239 you'll wonder how you did without it for so long. I got a real charge out of the owner wisdom blurbs.

Chris

Thrud
02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
IOWolf
Village prints many color magazine you guys probably don't even know of like "Gear Solutions" a trade magazine (well done too.)

kiv-c
02-23-2005, 07:52 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rockrat:
Well I guess if a copy of Smithy keeps the subscription rate of my HSM from going up... </font>

Well, it obviously didn't do that! Take a look on page 86 under "VP Announces New Rates"...

Kiv

IOWOLF
02-23-2005, 08:12 AM
What a bunch of crap,I read that and was going to vent in a new thread.Oh well such is life, I am in ot it for too long to give up on it now. but at least I am subscribeing.

JCHannum
02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Chris, I am going to keep my Sheldon for a while yet. I do not plan to throw myself under a train any time soon either.

On another note, take a look at the specs of the BZ 239 and the BX 288 on pages 40 & 41. The BZ 239 is a 12" X 36" lathe and power feed on the X axis is optional? The BZ 288 is a mill drill and distance between centers is 36", tailstock taper is MT #3? What's up with that?

If they are that careless with their advertising, one really has to wonder what care is taken in design and assembly of their machines.

As far as the price increase is concerned, the subscription price has increased $1.00/year, or $0.17/issue. I don't think that is going to break anyone.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 02-23-2005).]

andypullen
02-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Just an insert to throw away. Village Press will take any advertising they can get. I don't personally care who advertises with them. They are in business to make money. I just turn the page....

I got an unsolicited catalog from Smithy once. I called them and told them to remove my name from their list (permanently). They asked why and I told them that they sell nothing I would buy, now or ever. I haven't gotten another. Gotta respect them for not sending another.

Not like Horrible Freight. I get unsolicited catalogs from them on occasion and I have to call them and have it stopped. I don't want a catalog or 2 a week from them.

Andy Pullen

ACF
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Deleted .

Chris

[This message has been edited by ACF (edited 02-23-2005).]

panchula
02-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Did anyone else see the price listed on the front cover of the "Step-by-Step Machining Guide"? Get ready, take a seat. $12.50. That makes for one heck of a write-off. Funny thing is, they're less than 2 miles from my house. But with the bankers hours they're open (8-5) weekdays, I've been there only once (I had an immediate need an R-8 collet and they were closest), but it was enough. The staff was friendly, but high prices for Harbor Fright quality didn't endear them to me.

-Mike

andypullen
02-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I did see the price....That's ridiculous! I realize that printing catalogs costs money, but for a bunch of chicom stuff; come on. Grizzly's catalog is still free...Even though I've never bought anything from them, either.

Village Press has to pay for that new marvel of technology they own. I hope they made out on the deal.

Andy Pullen

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Horribel Freight got one order from me, 3/4" impact sockets, best price anywhere. Trouble is it takes 20 minutes since they offer you every free item in the world (for $5.00 each) yadda, yadda...