PDA

View Full Version : did some shapin'

hoffman
02-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I had a 1/4 plate for the t-nut on my import QCTP and it was flexing during heavier cuts. I then remembered I have a shaper and used it to machine the nut that came with the post. Much better now! I cut the shoulder by touching off and using a travel indicator to measure distance of table travel. Just flipped the part around and repeated for the other side. I know, kinda blew out any datum plane but it's OK for the backyard.
Got a small angle plate and I'm working on a toolholder for cutting an internal keyway.
Shaper's pretty cool...

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

andy_b
02-23-2005, 09:24 PM
that's the first project i made with my shaper as well. i already have some thoughts for other projects, and once i get the shop cleaned up some i need to learn more about how to use the shaper.

andy b.

eddie6675
02-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Hey' that pretty cool! I've been looking forwar to trying my little shaper out as well, but haven't finished building it yet. How's the finish look? I have yet to see any work from one of these machines!

J Tiers
02-24-2005, 12:32 AM
You must have gotten a vise with it.

My #1 didn't have one, so my first projects were some screw dogs and a table strip.

That was all the "mill" I had for quite a while, so I put in a lot of time on it. Even made bevel gears.

They are nice....but they can push REAL hard.

hoffman
02-24-2005, 03:07 AM
Yep, the shaper is my mill for now. Slower than a mill but a whole lot faster than a file http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

andypullen
02-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Good for you, Hoffman....You'll like running the shaper. With a well sharpened tool, you can easily get a 32 finish with it.

The first job I did on my shaper was to make a new table support. It was missing when I bought the machine and Sheldon sent me a print for that part. I bought a hunk of ductile iron bar and planed it on the top and bottom. And, then profiled it, cut the slots and mounted it. I have a pic floating around somewhere....

I used the shaper to cut some armor plate test pieces for a customer of mine. The were 10" square titanium of various thicknesses that needed to be flat and parallel within .005" all over. He tried to grind them and mill them, but they kept warping. I ran them in the shaper and they came out within tolerance with no heat or distortion. That job paid for the machine...

Andy Pullen