PDA

View Full Version : an interesting read

psomero
02-24-2005, 03:02 AM
http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/Calling%20All%20Machinists.htm

needless to say, jay leno just went up like five hundred points in my book. there definitely has been a decline in america's capabilities to rely on itself. rather, we outsource everything to save a quick buck; but in actuality, we're sacraficing quality and craftsmanship. it's really distressing to think about the fact that in a crisis, we couldn't rely on ourselves any more for defense. we'd have to get china on the phone and order up some more weapons or something ridiculous like that.

abn
02-24-2005, 04:20 AM
I've had respect for Leno ever since he stopped to render roadside assistance to me and some friends back in '88 or so...

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 09:06 AM
What a complimentary article! I always like Leno cause he rode a Hog, now I like him even more.

andypullen
02-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Great article! Jay's absolutely right.

During Operation Iraqi Freedom we ran out of JDAM bombs because a small part that goes inside is made in Switzerland. They stopped shipping us the part in protest of the war. That should have been a wake up call.

Andy Pullen

Milacron of PM
02-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Good read but nothing new..articles been out for 4 years.

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Easy now, DT, some of us don't get out too often! <LOL>

ricksplace
02-24-2005, 10:27 AM
This is just my $0.02
A real problem for us in Canada is the couselling students get in high school. Kids in high school just are not getting the guidance for careers in trades. I teach in the College system and it really burns my butt when I hear students say that a guidance counsellor said, "Losers go to College. You're smart, you shoud go to University." Students need to understand the options that are available to them. Hooray for Jay Leno, and all of you guys that tell kids what kinds of careers are available to them. HRDC (Human Resources Development Canada) says that there is a severe shortage of machinists in Canada, and that the situation is only going to get worse. Much worse. I don't teach in technology, I teach in business. I do see that a lot of the kids we get entering College are not ready. They don't have the skills or the motivation to succeed. If they get the motivation, the skills can be learned. Of those students that do enter the technology programs, many are ill-prepared to handle the responsibility and workload in College. Rant over.

On a more positive note, when my daughter was in grade 9 I convinced her to take a tech option. It was a general course that covered a smattering of different trade related skills. I told her, learn to do this stuff yourself, don't rely on a man to do it for you! The course involved a little auto mechanics, woodworking, machining, electrical, and general hand tools. It was a GREAT course. She can fire up my oxy-acetylene properly and get a neutral flame, do some brazing and stick welding, change the oil in my 4X4, change a socket or plug without electrocuting herself and handle most shop power tools. They even made a metal hammer in machine shops. Granted, she had many of these skills already, but she learned a lot. I think a course like this should be mandatory for every student in high school. A funny story -she told me that she was the only girl in the class, and on the first day, one of the guys in the class said to her "Hey blondie, you sure you're in the right class?" (my daughter has blonde hair, is very pretty, and having been raised by me is more than just a little bit assertive) I said to her, "You didn't hurt him did you?" She said, "Don't worry dad, I just told him to ---- ---."
What bothers me is that she was the only girl in the class. I'm quite sure that she would not have taken the course if I had not convinced her. Alas, she's attending university now, in gerontology. She enjoys working with seniors and she's good at it. One thing she learned from the old man, you gotta do what interests you!

psomero
02-24-2005, 12:20 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ricksplace:
a course like this should be mandatory for every student in high school.</font>

ding ding ding! we got a winner.

there was quite a few kids from my highschool who attended the vo-tech, however i was the only one taking machining until i got my friends into it the next year. we have a pretty decent setup: rather than taking 6 or 7 academic classes a day, you can opt to take 3 or 4 academic classes, then 3 hours at the vo-tech a day. if it weren't for that, i honestly think i wouldn't have graduated from highschool. not that i'm incapable of it, i just have a horrible time doing work i don't feel like i need to do. luckily, i aced the SATs so i got into a decent college despite my somewhat low gpa at graduation.

Pete Burne
02-24-2005, 02:21 PM
abn:

Jay Leno told the story about stopping to help a stranded motorist and asked them if they wanted to use his cell phone. They said yes and were quickly chatting away in Spanish.

Jay didn't pay much attention to them at the time as they passed it all around.

At the end of the month he got a bill for a 20 minute phone call to Ecuador!!!

Was that you??

Pete

John Foster
02-24-2005, 03:06 PM
When I started teaching we had 6 full time machine shop instructors plus a crib man. The students had 3 full hours of shop plus an hour of related class each day. We made things for the school district as well as projects for themselves. In their senior year they were placed in industry for half the school day (OJT or Co-op training). When I retired 35 years later I had the students for 2 hours 45 minutes and was the only teacher. This decrease in time was considered and "improvement" by the administration. I had the sad job of overseeing the auction of all of our equipment from the three machine shops because "we don't need machinists any more." The auctions brought in about $100,000.00 but you could not duplicate what we lost of the machines and tools for a million today. It was a fantastic set up and the whole school was like that.
We battled the same problem as mentioned earlier. "Only the dummies got to Tech" "You have to go to college" etc. My four kids graduated from there. I told them that I wanted them to know how to make a living and be employable when they graduated (Not a bad goal for any school, I think) and then if they wanted to go on to college they could wheather I was here to help or not. They were all employed in their chosen fields and two did go on. John

[This message has been edited by John Foster (edited 02-24-2005).]

robinssm
02-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm 49 years old. Things are in sad shape. I prove it all the time when I go through the drive-thru. They either mess up the order or can't make change. My friends come to me for their dream projects because I have the tools and the skills. I don't have a degree but am book smart. I can make anything I set out to do and do it well. I don't charge the 2 hour minimum that the machine shops do, just time and materials. I am planning for retirement while others I know seem to be just waiting for a check. Sure don't know where theirs is going to come from, just guess that the taxes I pay on mine will pay theirs.

IOWOLF
02-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Speaking of which, I make the punk behind the counter count out the change most every time I go to the store or B/K or McD's. It's porl'y not your son or daughter, so there is no need to thank me.

snowman
02-24-2005, 11:48 PM
When I bought my first car, my dad required me to buy a POS.

WHY?

Not because you always wreck your first car...I never did actually.

He wanted me to have to work on it, get it running, screw with every single bolt on that car til I learned how it worked and could fix it with bubble gum and a paper clip (maybe some tin foil if a fuse blew out in the middle of no where)

For quite a while, I had enough tools in my trunk where if I was a hundred miles away, I could push my car under an oak tree and pull the engine to replace the clutch...yes, I had a chain fall. And yes, I ended up having to do it while on a "road trip" with some friends.

Now I think of a story one of my friends told me. It's about a guy his daughter was dating. He came home one afternoon to find his daughters boyfriend's car in the driveway with a flat tire. Went inside, asked what was going on. Kid was waiting for his dad to show up and change the flat in the rain.

A month later, while out on a date, kid got another flat...couldn't get ahold of his dad. Friends daughter called her dad, he told her to change it then come home. Told her how to do everything over the cell phone, she did it fine, with pretty boy watching. They broke up soon after (with her father cheering in the background).

What the hell is wrong with people? My girlfriend can change her own tire (has AAA, so she never will, but she COULD!) I could change a tire in fifth grade (granted I could get the lugnuts loose).

This is just the state of the country...why learn to do it when you can pay someone 50 bucks to do it.

-Jacob

[This message has been edited by snowman (edited 02-24-2005).]

audrey
02-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Jay next time you need anything made just call me. My husband and I can make anything. PS how about a autograph Jay. Love Audrey