PDA

View Full Version : Build or Bust

bikenut
02-24-2005, 04:40 AM
They must have picked the dummest poser they could find, so the show gets a lot of laughs. Set up with everything ya need to build a nice scooter. 30 days to do the build, if ya do good ya get to keep it, step on your johnson and walk away empty handed. He was a real **** talker at the start, ended up humilitad and empty handed. Didn't have the faintest idea of what to do. Another wannabe bites the dust,"Gee, it seemed a lot easier when I was watching on TV". I hope it engourages a bunch of other wannabe bikers to get interested in something else, and move on down the line. I got more respect for a guy or a girl (I got a friend who has more sack than most of these fool posers) who's working in the garage to build what they want (Any brand, I don't care) putting their heart and soul into it. At Least they are doing and learning. You can tell the posers, they show up in the minivan, wearing all their leather, dorags and chaps for the local HOG meeting. Because is was too;wet/cold/dark, or just polished and didn't want to get it dirty. Back in the old days somebody would have punched the f**k out of them (Mud Check) if they failed at that, he would have lost his HOG patch and motorcycle. Any club patch you buy, instead of earn ain't worth squat.

Stanko
02-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Well, Im glad you got that off your chest. Just what lit your fuse ?

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 06:47 AM
The "HOG" riders nicely told me I was not welcome with my panhead, my six square feet of tattoos and my crooked nose.

The Local Abate chapter? when they Published a "friends of the road" article in thier paper with home addresses and phone numbers bikes started getting stolen. I spoke up and told the d-A'z that they published a shopping list.
Sure enough, two of the local broads showed up and wanted to look around my shop for stolen bike parts. Thier reasoning? A old guy told them to look up the guy in town with the most tattoos. (his thinking of longest prison term)

Abate=newfound ignorance. They took my membership money, hired people to go to the state house and lobby, they negociated the taxes on my old bike from $8 a year to $30, bought computers in every license bureau in Georgia with the newfound money. Made it extremly hard to get a bike license with a stupid test with incorrect (college wrote) questions.

It started out, A_Brotherhood_Against_Totalitarian_Enactments
Ie: big brother telling us what to do. Now? A brotherhood aiming toward education.. HA..

Last big Abate shindig around here, there was people snorting Crank right next to the campfire in plain sight, Just like the hogriders, wannabes with cut-offs and no bike.

Perhaps they still do good, but not here, anymore.

I'm hungover, Rant Over.. I got scarred knuckles, good with my hands, torch, and wrench and a bad attitude today. Going to have to rehang the punching bag. Or catch one to hang.

David

Amity
02-24-2005, 09:32 AM
"You can tell the posers, they show up in the minivan, wearing all their leather, dorags and chaps for the local HOG meeting."

I thought I was the only one who noticed that, seriously.. LAst year I was at a dealership in Indy picking up jugs, the hog meeting was starting, I saw a ton of chaps and leather, but no bikes >??? To weird, new leather on a new bike = I stay away at stoplights...

Amity
02-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey, ibewgypsie, How about a pic o that Pan!

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 10:19 AM
When the temp is above 30 & the road is dry, I ride. Can't understand why "riders" don't ride more. Buddy bought a RoadKing a year ago, has 600 miles on it, wants to get a CVO custom ElectraGlide!!! If we go to breakfast it's 100+ miles, lunches around 200, no reason stop anything that feels so good.

RoadKing asked me why we don't have intercom helments (all the GoldWingers have em). Told him the motor music was too sweet to interrupt. He & his bride look real pretty in their new leathers -- I think they send them to the cleaners & have em pressed and starched!

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 10:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/11.bmp

This one good enough? The Pictures I have are all 35mm.. scanner is broken. This has been replaced twice, still not happy. It took ten years to get the old pan reliable enough to make it across country several times. I had it 18 years.

The bike I have now, I call mine.. It is A Shovelhead stroker, You know what they say about hotrods, get ready to push.. I got the front wheel off'n it and in the shop waiting on me to do some magic. *(cast fatboy wheel)

(still hungover) Hate the World right now.

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 10:44 AM
The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson, died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is that you can hang out with anyone you want to in Heaven."

Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out with God." St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room and introduced him to God.

God recognized Arthur and commented, "Okay, so you were the one who invented the Harley Davidson motorcycle?"
To which Arthur replied, "Yep, that's me." God said, "Well, what's the big deal in inventing something that's pretty unstable, makes noise and pollution and can't run without a road?"

Arthur was apparently embarrassed, but finally said, "Excuse me, but aren't You the inventor of woman?" God said, "Yes, I Am." "Well," said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention:

1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end;

2. It chatters constantly at high speeds;

3. Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much;

4. And lastly, the maintenance costs are enormous!"

"Hmmmmm, you have some good points there," replied God, "hold on for a moment."

God went to His Celestial super computer, typed in a few words and waited for the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it.

"Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed," God said to Arthur, "but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than yours."

Rustybolt
02-24-2005, 11:04 AM
There are only two kinds of bikeres.
Those who have droped it and those that are gonna. My last time was my last time.

And you can tell the REAL hog riders. No matter how much you clean em up they got grease under their nails and every pair of pants they own have oil spots.

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Rusty, them ain't oil spots... Yellow in front brown in back... At least that's how I used to dress in the morning

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I got 3 bad discs in my back. I sold the old panhead thinking I was "done". Like a crack addiction I can't be done as long as my heart beats. I was so depressed I liked to have drank myself to death.

I have "other hobbies", but nothing thrills me quite like a V-twin. This bike I have now, SPringer front, Progressive shocks rear, Spring loaded seat post w/cop seat. Still thumps me worse than I can stand for long at a time. I sure miss the panhead, but it was kick-only and if I flooded it and kicked more than a dozen times I was Done for the day. This bike now? If it don't kick right over with the electric start it ain't gonna. Done fried one starter. It has dual plug heads but still... Single fire ignition... It ain't perfect.

I am pulling the SU off, putting a old SuperB on. Redoing the brakes, I hate bouncing off things trying to stop. I think, I'll install some Wilwood calipers front and rear. Being's how I am near broke again and still got the bug and springtime is CLose.

Before I traded for it I cranked it at the motorcycle shop, Flourescent tubes fell for about five minutes.. I was hooked.. I swapped a tattoo business, A bus, equipment, two generators and a 70 camaro for it. (yeah I got robbed but am back on two wheels)

If you have never rode through the Mountains of North georgia on a harley, you are missing out. Each pulse of the motor climbs you another thirty feet up the mountain. I have made everyone promise when I die to scatter my ashes on Fort MOuntain close by here.

If you're down this way, Stop in, Not real fancy but I am exactly as I say. Morning time you'd be welcome to a cup of coffee, evening probably a beer.

Rustybolt
02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Rusty, them ain't oil spots... Yellow in front brown in back... At least that's how I used to dress in the morning

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

</font>

Thank You very much!!!! Now I've got Pepsi all over the screen!!!

precisionworks
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Rebuilt the top end of my '91 ElectraGlide two years ago, wanted more oomph and installed 10.5 pistons & SE2 cam...makes 76HP &81 FT LBS on the dyno, but it is one hard-to-crank motor. Put the Spyke Super Torque starter on, still hard to crank. New battery & cables...same-o, same-o.

If anyone has installed compression releases, or has info on installation (specifically milling machine setup, angles, hole location, etc) please advise. Also been told that a single fire ignition will fire easier - any opinions on that?

speedy
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
The "HOG" riders nicely told me I was not welcome with my panhead, my six square feet of tattoos and my crooked nose.
The Local Abate chapter? when they Published a "friends of the road" article in thier paper with home addresses and phone numbers bikes started getting stolen. I spoke up and told the d-A'z that they published a shopping list. etc...etc.....

David</font>

Damn right Dave.
Some of those flHog types live in a different world and want to "play".They amuse me at times.

Harley underpants, socks, crotch protecters..give me a break!!
Still, they help keep H.D in profit http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

There are good sorts amongst them also, as there are in the outlaw world.

cheers, Ken

Charlie Rose
02-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Put in those compression release's you'll be glad you did. I put them on my son's 120 in. S&S motor, made all the differance in ease of starting,before if your battery was down any you were dead, now just push in the two release's hit the starter and go. Get the release's from the after market guys. Once you have them in hand you'll see what needs to be done, Well worth the cost and expence.

speedy
02-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I am pulling the SU off, putting a old SuperB on. Redoing the brakes, I hate bouncing off things trying to stop. I think, I'll install some Wilwood calipers front and rear. Being's how I am near broke again and still got the bug and springtime is CLose.

If you have never rode through the Mountains of North georgia on a harley, you are missing out. Each pulse of the motor climbs you another thirty feet up the mountain. I have made everyone promise when I die to scatter my ashes on Fort MOuntain close by here.

If you're down this way, Stop in, Not real fancy but I am exactly as I say. Morning time you'd be welcome to a cup of coffee, evening probably a beer.</font>

Hi Dave, if bucks are a problem ( as they always are and spending dosh unnecessarilly is stupid http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif ) Try some Nissen four pots, the same as found on the new Triumphs. Or Tokico , which are efectively the same. They are found on R250RR Suzukis and are the stuff!! Believe me, they will stop you FAST... and have excellent 'feel' and never any fade.
If you were closer I'd call in and chew the fat with you and yours. Look after yourself Dave.

cheers, Ken

ibewgypsie
02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
I ordered some Wilwood Sprint car calipers @ $78.95 each.

I put a Performance machine brake on the last fatboy I built, worked great. But they want $450 for the setup I gave $250 for a while back.. what is up with that? Has things gone up that much?

David

hoffman
02-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Dave is a wuss riding that newfangled pan. Get real, get a knuck http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Hoffman, who you callin a wuss??? Pans came out the year I wuz born...they're PRETTY compared to knucks.

speedy
02-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Damn!! my advice came too late http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Dave, I wouldn't pay half of that price for Performance Machine brake stuff; not because I'm tight, but because I believe that it is over inflated bolt-on rubbish; last time I checked out PM calipers....Hey, no dust seals even and do you want the same ****e that every other consumer has??

cheers, Ken

bikenut
02-25-2005, 03:45 AM
The Panhead is the nicest looking engine H-D ever made. My first hog was a '48. Hey David, I almost blew out my knee today starting my Shovel, she hates starting when it's cold. It convinced me to go with a button. I'm thinking about going with a Jims 6 speed at the same time. I got a set of Tokico 4 piston calipers for my scooter off of ebay for $20 bucks, built the mounts on my mill. Precisionworks, I read that Spyke was coming out with a compression release that works in the same hole as your sparkplug. I don't know anything about them though.

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Bikenut, THANKS! Here's a picture, and a forum on the item.

http://www.wildwestcc.com/100248.html

http://www.ultimatecycle.com/forum/thread.asp?tid=296

They list at $299/set, conventional releases about $75/set...so I got to looking and found this description of the install process:

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0306hb_comp/

You guys (and girl!) are probably faster than me. When I figure the time to remove the Tour Pack, seat, tank, rocker boxes & heads, set up in the mill, and reinstall everything + new upper gaskets, the Spyke release looks like a plan. Amity, can you get me a deal on these?

------------------
Barry Milton

[This message has been edited by precisionworks (edited 02-25-2005).]

ibewgypsie
02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
If I bore you skip to the bottom.

What is a tokioyo Caliper? I'm lost here guys. Remember I have a grey beard.

Some background.. PAN IS HISTORY.. GONE and it started the depression that nearly killed me. I had that 44 picked up twice. I tried to drink myself to death also.

I bought a new bike at 18, a 76 FXE superglide, It had a banana caliper on it. I was attached and would not even let the mechanic service it without my presence. I saw him "whack" that banana caliper with a large wooden mallet and started asking questions. They work good when they work good. I was putting a average of 6,000 miles a month on it (sometimes pads every month), That bike got stolen 15 feet from my house. I have kept them inside since then. I had joined a small club and "found it" About ten guys and I walked in to pick it up, insurance had already paid out and I had a 49 pan together. There was some college boys building a "chopper" out of my Superglide. (now this was the bike I was sliding around in the road like a bicycle)
I gave it to my best friend and roadie since I knew if I was caught with it prison would ensue. The insurance company had screwed me to the T and I was still angry so I didn't turn it in.
On the second bike the old 49 pan, it had parts off the "Chopper" on it, no front brake, wide glide, pan mechanical rear brake. I was always the "straggler the cops loved to stop" fortunatly I was mostly legal all the time. Serial numbers on that bike was a home-built title-serial plate.. now that was problems.

Brakes on it? Slide and roll.. not much between.. I liked to have killed a few people trying to ride in a pack with that bike. I bounced it off a tanker truck leaving a large dent in it, breaking the frame in 3 places, my arm in two. I loaded it into a truck and took it home, no police were ever called. I had people in 4 states looking for the trucker thou. It had club ensignia on it, When I quit, I left the bike there. After the wreck, it had been rebuilt with club common law parts. It was not mine. Two of them thought I was "easy" and thought to take the next one.

Next bike was 1958 panhead, Timken bearing, first year of the swingarm, a cherry shriners bike. It was a stocker.. would not make it across town without truck support. Problem was it was used up. Lake Shore Harley built/blue printed that motor. They did a good job but used cheap-assed gaskets.

Replaced, 6" ov 1976 Wide glide w/disc banana caliper, rear swingarm 75 fxe disc/banana caliper.. 5 carburetors till I determined the S&S Super B is a stretched out linkert that "won't break" Tuning is a bitch when you cross country thou. Float level is jet-size /vacuum-feed/fuel viscosity dependent that changes when you change sea level or it "clouds up.." HA.. but it works..
Generators kept dying, bulbs, batteries, problems abounded. I discovered "Electric Frank regulator" to go onto the end of the generator. Problem solved, one generator lasted 10 years. IT will crank and run without a battery. Crankes much easier with one thou.
Distributors, well I went through 4 CCI auto advance distributors. On the last one I found out a late model "DYNA" ignition would just fit. *(this was after I was ont he interstate outside Memphis setting points with a 10 year old beer tab) I trimmed the dyna mounting plate down, bolted it right to the top of the distributor plate, slid the excitor down in and it matched exactly the harley replacement magnetic one.. VIOLA it cranked, tuned ran and didn't slip points anymore.. The old bike when the points close up it'd actually drain the battery. No more..
Spark plugs.. NOW don't laugh you know I am American oriented.. NGK U-groove for a 327 chevrolet. Use the proper shank length (threaded) set them once, put them in.. a set lasted me 35000 miles.. I couldn't find them and had replaced them with Split fires.. I put the old ones back in and they left in the bike, still starting most times on first kick.
Performace machine brakes work, Banana caliper do most the time. I figured out that while driving through a stop light in Colorado springs and up the Snow gutter at 55. The pins wear a step on where the pads go and hang.. not working.. GMA brakes squeal but work. I have seen the Wilwood brakes on bikes all across the country, usually polished and name gone.. Premium prices paid for a brake that works..
The Performance machine brake was on a fatboy I sold/financed my cnc with. Been a dozen bikes around since then, but I have not owned another one till the stroker shovel.

I told you my lifes history, left out all the boring parts involving women. Now I want some..

I wanna know about the toyo brakes. What did they come on? From? Off'n? Explain to me like a child.. I know what I know and I know that well. This is something new.
Maybe I can match it up to a Sprint car brake and we all can make a dollar.

ibewgypsie
02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eCCStoreFront/smi/product_images//Full/91101004.jpg

I am buying two of these Halogen bulb types at $79.99 + shipping. Chromed steel.
I going to run one of these, anyone want the other at my cost.. they only come in pairs. The $140 fatboy lite started spotting after a year of rubbin and polish (so I ain't buyin that agin). I eventually plan on turning some stainless ones here on the big lathe. I got a wood form ready.

11:30... I went to ebay, looked at some brake calipers.. Reckon we can buy pads for them things or will that soak up the savings? I don't have a clue about jap bikes, other then they are fast now.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 02-25-2005).]

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 01:10 PM
David,

Don't go nuts with that 44. Just remember, that's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Here's a source for Tokico:
http://www.performancepeddler.com/tokico.asp

Wilwood makes a nice caliper called a superlite, customer uses them on his racing Jaguar. Those sprint car calipers should work great with a shop-made adapter. I've milled adapters for him out of 1.0" CRS (this is for stopping a 2,500# car going 160 mph, so I built heavy). Shouldn't be too hard to adapt the Wilwoods using Harley OEM brakes as a pattern.

------------------
Barry Milton

ibewgypsie
02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Precision.. no tokico calipers on that site.. just struts.. I found some on ebay and other sites.. but they are six piston? NOW how big is that piston, and what size master cylinder will it take to make it work?

Remember when I had the Dodge Powerwagon, huge drum brakes.. they guy couldn't get brakes up on it and after I bought it I found a old dump truck huge 1 1/2" bore mastercylinder that worked them. The "car" disc master cylinder he had on there would work the shoes about 1/8" all the way around.. but no brakes, adjusted them out? no roll.. HA...

I broke my handlebar master cylinder mount/switches putting it in through the 36" door at 20mph.. Yeah, I was drinking.. but I used to do that all the time on the pan. I didn't drop it, or dent anything except the doorframe.

splicer
02-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Nice to hear the Panhead stories....Built and rode a Panhead parts bike for over 10 years and have a lot of fond memories of that bike(it ended up looking like an early 60's FL with juice rear brakes, popeye bags, wideglide, etc)
It was strictly a kicker and, if you didn't get the start sequence just right(Linkert carb), you'd be the entertainment for the crowd for a while.....usually not the bike,s fault but maybe the beer....LOL

Splicer

bikenut
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Precisionworks, thanks for the skinny on the Spyke compression release. Kinda high dollar though. I'm wondering about the longevity of the "ignitor" unit. David, I'm sending you an email about the Tokico caliper, with pic's of my scooter with the calipers mounted.

precisionworks
02-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Bikenut, Spyke uses "standard" spark plugs from a Ford Triton truck motor. Even has indexing feature available to point the electrode the way you want it. It is pricey, but it sure is easy.

Buddy of mine says that wrenching is to riding as foreplay is to loving!

ibewgypsie
02-26-2005, 01:01 AM
With the big motors, nothing is going to help.

Some camshafts with overlap actually lower the cranking compression. Both valves are open at once leaking off compression at slow speeds.

The Old 58 FLH camshaft made more power than the Sifton cam Lakeshore put in. I put the old "wore out" FLH cam back in. (after 100+ kicks and my wife found me face down in the mud)

You ever see them crank a nitro Harley? A guy runs up with a old Ford starter and plugs it into the side of the motor, holds it and fires it off on gasoline. ANY NITRO in the bike as it is cranking over will blow it all to hell. I saw a cylinder, head go about 150 feet up into the air after cutting the top frame rail in two. I watched it go up, turned to run made it about ten steps when it came down on a vendors tent. (AHDRA event) We followed the Harley drag racer events in the tattoo bus for about three months before I figured out they were all saving thier money for more bike parts.. WE made ends meet, but Going to Sturgis and tattooing in 95 showed we didn't need to do the races.